Brake Controller Plug and Wiring | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

Ok, just picked up our new 2012 Explorer with a factory tow package and I just order a Tekonsha P3 with the 2 plug adapter.

Does anyone know where the factory plug is under the dash?
Congratulations on your new Explorer silvermickey2002 and welcome to the Forum. :wavey: Always nice to have new members join.
I do not have a tow package and cannot help you but I'm sure someone will jump in. There are many members here who have the tow package.
Happy motoring.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, just picked up our new 2012 Explorer with a factory tow package and I just order a Tekonsha P3 with the 2 plug adapter.

Does anyone know where the factory plug is under the dash?

I have the same brake controller and love it. The factory plug is right above the emergency brake pedal. I can't remember if it's taped up under there or cable tied, but it's up there. Took about 2 minutes to install it.

Ok, I had time to look for the plug today and I believe I found it located above the hood release under the dash. But, I cannot get my hand in there to plug the adapter cable into it. Looks like I will need to unscrew the dash below the steering column to access it. I did not think it would be that difficult to do!

Does anyone have a photo of where theirs was or is located? Want to make sure I identified the right connector.

Trailer brake controller

Anyone have any pictures of their brake controller installed? Is it in the way ?

This is where I mounted mine. It was close to the hook-up and easy to reach for adjustments. It is not in my way at all, I've never hit it with my legs.

6a344685.jpg

97ed9124.jpg

Anyone have any pictures of their brake controller installed? Is it in the way ?
Is it in the way of what?

You can install it wherever you want. IIRC, the cable I ordered was about 12-18" long. You could splice more onto it if you wanted to.

What type of controller

Thanks is that the prodigy model? In the way of your knees hitting getting in or out.

Thanks is that the prodigy model? In the way of your knees hitting getting in or out.

Yes, It's the Prodigy P3. It's not in the way at all, and I can reach it easily for quick adjustments when needed.

What kind of trailer do you tow?

Same here, also can you recommend a brake controller, looking to purchase a travel trailer

Same here, also can you recommend a brake controller, looking to purchase a travel trailer

I went with the Prodigy P3 and it works great. It has more features than you need, but I liked the selectable color display.

There's no need to remove any part of the lower dash to install this. I was able to just reach up and plug it in. It literally took 5 minutes to install.

Sorry for the delay in reporting here, but I did get the P3 controller installed. I did have to remove the lower dash panel under the steering column in order to get my hand in there to plug the adapter cable in. Once I plugged it in the rest was a piece of cake! It took me longer to make a decision on exactly where to mount it then it did to get the adapter cable plugged in.

The P3 controller is really nice!!! We had a time delay (Drawtite brand) in our Honda and I was always messing with it depending on the driving conditions. The P3 was fantastic. I set it up at home with a short test drive and that was it. No need to mess with it after that. It was nice that when we were driving in traffic on the NJ Turnpike the P3 recognized that we were driving slow and when I hit the brakes it would only send enough voltage to the trailer brakes to slow down. Some of the issues of the old time delay controller of putting on too much brake on the trailer are no more! I highly recommend going with the P3 because of the features.

2013 Explorer Brake controller Harness

Hi Guys,
We just purchased our new 2013 ford explorer last week and are loving it! We had just come out of a 2011 ford f-150 and where tired of a large truck and wanted to downsize. We plan on pulling are 3200 travel trailer with the new explorer. We found the brake controller plug under the dash thanks to all the helpful posts that everyone posted and now we have a question about the harness. Does ford sell the harness that plugs into the dash into the brake controller wiring that then wires up to the actual brake controller or do I have to buy the harness from some other manufacter? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks everyone!

Hi Guys,
We just purchased our new 2013 ford explorer last week and are loving it! We had just come out of a 2011 ford f-150 and where tired of a large truck and wanted to downsize. We plan on pulling are 3200 travel trailer with the new explorer. We found the brake controller plug under the dash thanks to all the helpful posts that everyone posted and now we have a question about the harness. Does ford sell the harness that plugs into the dash into the brake controller wiring that then wires up to the actual brake controller or do I have to buy the harness from some other manufacter? I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks everyone!

What brand of brake controller are you going to use? I believe the harnesses you can buy are brand specific. I'm using the Prodigy P3 and ordered the 3035-P harness (online for $9.99) that plugs directly into the Explorer and then directly into the back of the P3. Quick and easy, no cutting and splicing wires.

The brand is a Tekonsha. I'm not sure which model I have. I just didn't want to take a chance of voiding any warranties if I didn't use a ford harness. Thanks though for your reply!

The brand is a Tekonsha. I'm not sure which model I have. I just didn't want to take a chance of voiding any warranties if I didn't use a ford harness. Thanks though for your reply!

They make the prodigy controllers.. One of the best on the market. Do search online.. most of the harnesses are universal within the same manufacturer. Just find the best price.

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to say welcome to the Forum Aevans.:wavey:
As you can see, the members here are always very helpful.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You guys for your help! I appreciate it. Thank You peterk9 for the warm greeting on joining the forum. This was my first post and yes, I can see that all the owners are very helpful and considerate. Thanks tmilicia and blwnsmoke for your responses; much appreciated!

Back