Solved - Everything you wanted to know about PATS. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Everything you wanted to know about PATS.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
pats led

hi, i have a 2001 focus, but the led is normally flashing all the time...well i took the radio out and i forgot the battery hooked up...now its all back together and i just notice the pats led isint flashing now, and i have batt power , accesoies, headlamps hazards work, just no sound at all on crank position, no pats led what so ever , ...on a side note..what would make the power sterring fluid splurge up through the cap on the resivoir...i really need to know about the pats light, and what it not flashing means, i cant tow it to a dealer and this thread says thats what i need to do lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:ca: Hello, to add my theft light never blinks? i cant find any one with this problem. My 99 xlt runs pefect, my problem is i now have a second key programed want to put in my compustar remote start/alarm, i have the Directed 555p bypass mod, but my theft light does not blink, cant program the bypass or a 3rd key cuz i need to see the light blinking?? im confuzed:rolleyes:

the bulp is fine?

Have a 2001 explorer, theft light blinks always it starts tho. what would be the problem?

Have a 2001 explorer, theft light blinks always it starts tho. what would be the problem?

The blinking "theft" light is a theft deterrent. It uses a mixture of voodoo and witchcraft to scare the bad guys.

Actually it just blinks every so often when the car is parked.

Ok..

figured out with another post here from Steve, that with one cable grounded in Central Box AND using a SCT Flash PATS is disable and i can start without key..
thats what i needed to go one step forward...

"One cable grounded in Central Box". What and where is a "Central Box"???

"a SCT Flash", what is this?.

thanks, Bob..

Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Central Box is most likely Central Junction Box, the fuse panel in the left kick panel.

I have a conversion waiting on a solution to this PATS issue short of a full 'tune' with the associated expense.

SCT is a tuner.

Valet key for programing?

I all you have is a valet key and a main key, can you use those two to do the programing of more spare keys. 2004 Mercury Marquis

Thanks.

is there anywya to bypass the pats i have a desert ranger toy and put a 99 sohc 4.0 in it and injectors wont fire i am hard wiring everything with a push button start

is there anywya to bypass the pats i have a desert ranger toy and put a 99 sohc 4.0 in it and injectors wont fire i am hard wiring everything with a push button start

Short answer, no. If you are using the PCM from the 99 truck you would need the original BCM to send the correct encrypted code back to the PCM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the two are programmed together.

Bob

It uses a mixture of voodoo and witchcraft to scare the bad guys.

I just noticed your post, that's funny stuff. :)
Back in my days of programming the final line I used in all code was:

REM: "And then a miracle occurs"

James Henson on this forum says he can disable PATS with a tune. Unfortunately that is several hundred bucks. I do have some other tune work to get done so the CEL is not on all the time so that may be the best solution.

Another alternative I am looking at is to use a PCM from an earlier model year before PATS was implemented. In the case of the 302 V8 the '96 and '97 did not have PATS, '08 - '01 did. At $50 or so for an used early one that may be worth the effort. Doesn't work, back to eBay.

You should get a flasher and have James disable the PATS. To change to a 97 PCM you would other swap requirements, the injectors and rail for one. I'd consult with James and see if he knows if a PCM swap would be easier or more feasible.

im sorry but who is james and where do i find him

Please help

OK I hate to be the dummy here but I have an issue that reading this post did not help me with. I bought a used 2000 Explorer Sport that supposedly has a broken timing chain. I only got one key and none of the key fobs. The battery was dead. I wanted to charge the battery so I could do my own mechanical evaluation. but every time I hook up cables to the battery the panic alarm starts sounding and the key turning in the ignition will not make it stop. I do not have the code for the door push button system, and the one on the computer did not work. I have pulled all the fuses marked as part of the antitheft system and the horn relay. it still will not stop flashing lights and blowing the horn. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to move forward?

my 02 has a theft light in the instrument panel and a indicator light that is visible threw the windshield on the dash above the panel

98 v8 Pats issue

just wanted to cut to the chase -

98 V8 Explorer - factory installed PATs
System was armed first about 2 months ago - used key fab to disarm it - no good. Figured it was a bad fab - stopped usuing it completely - only used the key and it seemed to work for at least 4 weeks. Then the system is armed again. This time I referred to information in alldata - there was a sequence in which you have the key in either the acc or on position and with a series of lock -unlock - lock on teh door panel you can disarm the system. It actually worked. I lost that piece of infrmation - might have come in handy for the 3 rd time the system armed. This time it happened at the shop - this was used as a cop car and had some modifications done to it, so when I took down the dash around the steering colum I was abel to access the connector for PATs(I think) Tapped on teh cdonnector and started right up. Ok cool so the fourth time the vehichle decided not to start I used some information that I had found. If you turn the key in the drivers side door towards the front of the car and hold it there for about a minute it will disarm the PATs - this actually worked!
Some other suggestions were to lock the door and use the keybad to disarm the PATs.this never worked. So then thinking about it the thought that maybe if I ground out the lock cylinder so it doesn't send a signal to the ECM might bybass teh PATs. Until I left eh vehicle unlock one night and came out and it was armed. Son of a....
Its not like I am stealing this vehichle - just completed a lot of work and did I metnion...it's my wifes car! Ugh!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just wanted to cut to the chase -

98 V8 Explorer - factory installed PATs
System was armed first about 2 months ago - used key fab to disarm it - no good. Figured it was a bad fab - stopped usuing it completely - only used the key and it seemed to work for at least 4 weeks. Then the system is armed again. This time I referred to information in alldata - there was a sequence in which you have the key in either the acc or on position and with a series of lock -unlock - lock on the door panel you can disarm the system. It actually worked. I lost that piece of infrmation - might have come in handy for the 3 rd time the system armed. This time it happened at the shop - this was used as a cop car and had some modifications done to it, so when I took down the dash around the steering colum I was abel to access the connector for PATs(I think) Tapped on the cdonnector and started right up. Ok cool so the fourth time the vehichle decided not to start I used some information that I had found. If you turn the key in the drivers side door towards the front of the car and hold it there for about a minute it will disarm the PATs - this actually worked!
Some other suggestions were to lock the door and use the keybad to disarm the PATs.this never worked. So then thinking about it the thought that maybe if I ground out the lock cylinder so it doesn't send a signal to the ECM might bybass the PATs. Until I left eh vehicle unlock one night and came out and it was armed. Son of a....
Its not like I am stealing this vehichle - just completed a lot of work and did I metnion...it's my wifes car! Ugh!

The PATS is a factory alarm system. It should be armed every time you lock the doors with the lock button, the outer two on the keypad, or the key turned to the right, or the key fob. I know that isn't always the case, but that is how it's supposed to work. Assume that it is armed every time you unlock the vehicle. I have had the best luck with the key fob/remote, that works best to arm/disarm, and to disable the alarm when it does go off.

Don't confuse any good fortune in not having the alarm go off with whether it was armed each time or not.

Look at the dash any time you lock the doors, you can tell by how the THEFT light flashes whether the system is armed or not.

If the vehicle had wiring alterations done, like all police vehicles, I'd suspect that any problems are contributed to by that wiring.

Back