MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

Or, you could just wait an uncomfortable amount of time (5 minutes with the engine on), and it likely will reboot itself. Version 2.11 of the software has a "keep alive" timer which senses an unresponsive unit and reboots it.

I drove the truck for a couple of days and it never came back up. I had to bring the truck to the dealer for an oil change anyways so the dealer fix it for me. He said if this problem happens, Ford just wait for owners to bring their truck and have the system updated. So now it's back on. I'm a happy camper again! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove the truck for a couple of days and it never came back up. I had to bring the truck to the dealer for an oil change anyways so the dealer fix it for me. He said if this problem happens, Ford just wait for owners to bring their truck and have the system updated. So now it's back on. I'm a happy camper again! :thumbsup:

Strange. It's supposed to reboot and often does. If you don't want the hassle of bringing it to the dealer, find fuse 29 - pull it out, wait 30 seconds, then reinsert. It reboots the computer for MFT.

Are the problems worth it?

Hope this question is OK in this thread. I just test drove a 2012 Explorer with MFT and I loved it. After reading about many problems with MFT, I'm curious if those of you living with BSOD and other issues would still buy MFT if you had it to do over.

Hope this question is OK in this thread. I just test drove a 2012 Explorer with MFT and I loved it. After reading about many problems with MFT, I'm curious if those of you living with BSOD and other issues would still buy MFT if you had it to do over.

Yes. Any day. It is a very impressive system and I think once they work out a few more of the bugs it will be be the in-car technology package to beat.

Ask again a month after they release the next update.

Right now, I don't know if I would. I like the features, but I could live without all of them - and the $$ it cost to buy them would go to great use somewhere else.

The one main feature I really like is the large screen for the backup camera. With the high belt line, that is a real safety issue, not just convenience.

It's a shame that they released MFT in the poor operating condition that they did. The V2.11 update solves the pulling fuse mess (at least for me), but they still have a long way to go to improve boot up time and general responsiveness to inputs. Despite all that, I still love the vehicle and do not regret my purchase. I almost know how to talk to it to get what I want and when it works right it's the best I've seen. I got to rent a 2011 Durango; their "UConnect" system is like MFT lite. It works solidly but lacks all of the "cool factor" that is MFT (when it works). I was really unimpressed with their IVT. So, if you can put up with some snags (which can be quite annoying), the Ex is the way to go.

And another BSOD this evening right after starting the Explorer.

This is getting really, really old....

My screen has been black going on day 3 today - This happens every other week for about 4 days until the 'auto sense performing maintenance' reboot starts so I can tell you it doesn't work as advertised.

I started taking short videos every time this occurs so that I can show others what to expect. MFT is a misnomer, it should have been called POS!

Problem with Sync and the screen is black

Hi all.
I have a problem with my Ford Explorer XLT 2011, start the engine yesterday, and shift into Reverse. Sync screen was off. I heard the beep-beep warning sensors, but camera off, phone off, radio off and I do not know how to turn it on. Somewhere in this forum I read that one could disconnect the battery, as a reboot ... any ideas??

thanks
Natre

Yes, remove the black wire from your battery. Should reboot your system. The only other way is to do a fuse pull, but that is MUCH harder than just doing the battery method.

They really should have put in a physical reboot button for cases like these...

Thanks Broheim

But I have some questions

Why did this happen?,
The black wire is not power, will be enough to restart the system?
It is safe to do this?

thanks
Natre

Disconnecting the ground wire will reset the system. It is safe.

ok. I will do it today and see what happens ....

thanks
Natre

If yours is like mine I got black screens for a few months that lasted a few days at a time and then MFT died. I took it to the dealer today and they needed to order an APIM module. They said mine was the second dead one today - I guess this will be a common problem with MFT going forward. I think the software is badly designed but the hardware also appears to be a problem.

If yours is like mine I got black screens for a few months that lasted a few days at a time and then MFT died. I took it to the dealer today and they needed to order an APIM module. They said mine was the second dead one today - I guess this will be a common problem with MFT going forward. I think the software is badly designed but the hardware also appears to be a problem.

Hi Strike. My truck is the Ford Explorer XLT 2011. Beautiful pearl white. Everything was perfect, until we had the update time in my country. (Maybe it was just a coincidence). But the next day, the display and associated systems to Sync ... dead.
Interestingly, the system has no reset button, and it would be more logical for these cases ... just press the button to get everything back to normal.
Follow the way indicated, disconnect the black battery for a few seconds and fix the problem, too easy, then I thought ... this will surely happen again in the future. I can not believe that is a problem of software and hardware in a new car. If so, should there be any update or patch that fixes the problem.
Question: What did they say when they checked your Ford truck?

Natre

Thanks for the help everyone, problem solved

MyFord Touch Screen disappearead...HELP!!!

Hello guys, my MyFord Touch screen disappeared when I drove my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT this afternoon. The screen is totally blank and all you see is the white/bluish light that turns on when you first open the driver side door. But unfortunately, the white/bluish light stays on even when I'm already driving. The two screens on the cluster are still working but not the main screen. Anyone familiar with this issue?

Well...Have you had the most recent update performed? You're a 2011 so I'm guessing you woulda had to go to the dealer (Customer satisfaction program thingy 12B36 MFT update and PCM reprogram AKA cooling fan issue).

Otherwise, you can try pulling fuse 29 or simply unplugging the battery for a minute or two and hooking it back up. You need to know what version of the MFT software you're running tho for future reference, ie it may need updated.

Hope that helps.

-Kevin

Just remember that if you do the battery disconnect/connect, that there will be several items that the Explorer will have to relearn such as transmission shift points, idle and trim. There is a 6 step procedure you can follow for setting the idle and trim or you can simply let the vehicle relearn these over time.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you get it fix. It should be simple.

On my 2013 X, I had the screen not come up once just last thursday. I just shut the car off and restarted it. Screen booted right up no problem. Yes it has the most recent software update.

It seems most of the trouble from reading is the sync system built on top of the microsoft operating system. It will have interface bugs all the time until they hit the right fix.

Maybe next time ford will try apple.

Back