Need Help Installing/Calibrating Superlift TruSpeed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Installing/Calibrating Superlift TruSpeed

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
Ok, I have the TruSpeed wired in, and preformed the reset procedure on both settings. I left one setting unchanged, and the other advanced 8 turns which should be correct.

On the unchanged setting, I don't get any speedo movement, but on the 8 turns setting, it will read to about 20 mph, then drop to zero.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed a truspeed in my 95 today... having the exact same issue. Speedo seems to work up to 20mph then hits 20 and drops back to 0. When I bring the truck back under 20mph it seems to work fine.

At one point the o/d light started flashing so I pulled the codes: "Incorrect gear ratio in 1st gear, Incorrect gear ratio in second gear, Incorrect gear ratio in 3rd gear". Pulled everything apart, check connections, all fine, ran down the road with a voltometer hooked up to the power leads for the unit to make sure it wasn't losing power at 20mph for some strange reason, all fine. Reset the unit and re-calibrated, same thing.

Am I missing something huge here or is Truspeed just a $250 POS?

Well, I spent the morning testing, and testing... cut the vss tap wires under the dash (from the trucrap unit), and wired them together... took it for a spin and everything was fine, just to be sure I crossed the wires to the truspeed and tried again... no pulse on my nav unit sys check and gages didn't work. Just to be sure I checked ground/power again with a voltometer, all good. Reset and recalibrated the truspeed, same thing cut out at 20mph like clockwork.

In the end I pulled the POS out and soldered the yellow/green wires under the dash as a temporary fix until I can get time (and some help from pops) to re-solder the vss loom wires back together properly.

This guy thinks truspeed is crap.

I never got mine working either. My plan was to try the other side of the VSS, incase the wiring diagrams were wrong about which size was in vs. out next time I have a bit of time to mess with it.

Sorry you are having the same issue, but glad I'm not the only one!

Yeah i cut the yellow/green under the dash and tried it with them crossed, got nothing with that setup.

I'm gonna call superlift tomorrow and see if I can get some answers.

... I spoke with someone at superlift and was told I have a bad box, warranty return with summitracing was easy, we'll see what happens with the new one.

Spent the day rewiring my dash, while I was at it I threw in the new truspeed I got on a warranty return. Guess what, same damn thing. 20mph speedo drops to 0.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Back