way to stop tailgaters? what do you think | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

way to stop tailgaters? what do you think

me and a buddy got to talking today about tailgaters and how to keep them off your @$$ and we came up with away that we think works great in day and night mount a mointry on switch and wire it into the brake likes so that you look like your braking when your not

what do you guys think i dont know if anyons done this yet if so how has it worked out for you and if no ones done it yet if theres a bunch of people wanting to see it done and how it works out ill do it and let every one know what the results are

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Step 1
Install extra leaf springs and spare tire to roof like this

attachment.php

Step 2 ditch sway bars

Step 3 When following car gets too close, move steering wheel back and forth just enough to cause the "cline o meter" to sway 20 degrees or so in each direction

Step 4 watch following car drop back about 5 car lengths.

Problem solved.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Step 1

attachment.php

Step 2 ditch sway bars

Step 3 When following car gets too close, move steering wheel back and forth just enough to cause the "cline o meter" to sway 20 degrees or so in each direction

Problem solved.

Be careful using this method. The added weight and excessive swaying may cause your roof to fall off. :D

019.jpg

Step 1

attachment.php

Step 2 ditch sway bars

Problem solved.
i like that one ive already did step 2 ditch the say bars that was one of the frist things i did when i got it

Be careful using this method. The added weight and excessive swaying may cause your roof to fall off. :D

019.jpg

i like that bumper i want one but mines a 2nd gen and that a 1st gen i would make one but dont have time active duty and ( wife and 2 lil kids )

If someone wants to tailgate me,
I just take my foot off the gas.
I let them pass, after awhile they get the message.

I just slow down a little, ignore them and let them pass when they get the chance. I used to tap the brakes, but had a guy pass me on the right one time after that and tried to run me off the road...

I know a guy who drives an old dodge with a turned up cummins, when someone tailgates him he shifts to his highest gear and stomps on it. He gets a black cloud so thick coming out the tail pipe that people turn on their wipers sometimes to try to see lol

If someone wants to tailgate me,
I just take my foot off the gas.
I let them pass, after awhile they get the message.

its kinda hard to do that around here 98% of the roads are one lane no passing ( double yellow )

I just slow down a little, ignore them and let them pass when they get the chance. I used to tap the brakes, but had a guy pass me on the right one time after that and tried to run me off the road...

I know a guy who drives an old dodge with a turned up cummins, when someone tailgates him he shifts to his highest gear and stomps on it. He gets a black cloud so thick coming out the tail pipe that people turn on their wipers sometimes to try to see lol

THIS! is the best idea ever, wish I had a diesel, because this would happen all the time.

Also, why are people always in such a rush? I don't understand, I go the speed limit whether or not I am on time for something, being right on time, or 5 minutes late is not worth a ticket in my mind.

When following car gets too close, move steering wheel back and forth just enough to cause the "cline o meter" to sway 20 degrees or so in each direction

Turdle- That is absolutely hilarious, I'm ROFL. Best solution I've heard yet.

Step 1

Step 2 ditch sway bars

Problem solved.

Hey...If I moderator says to do it, who am I to say no? lol

THIS! is the best idea ever, wish I had a diesel, because this would happen all the time.

Also, why are people always in such a rush? I don't understand, I go the speed limit whether or not I am on time for something, being right on time, or 5 minutes late is not worth a ticket in my mind.

What gets me is that people think they are even going to save 5 minutes. You would have to be driving a long way to save 5 minutes when you are only going a mile or two an hour faster than the car ahead of you.
5 miles at 35 mph, 8 minutes
5 miles at 40 mph, 7 and a half minutes...

20 miles at 65, 18 minutes
20 miles at 75, 16 minutes

Now imagine all those people who think they are going to get there faster when they are only going a mile or two faster than you.

If they think they are going to avoid getting their 5 minutes late, they better be going 90. Most people are just shaving a few seconds off their commute in exchange for a couple bucks more in gas they have to put in the tank.

That 5 minutes if you are going 2-3mph faster, if you are going 77 and expect to save 5 minutes compared to the guy going 75, you had better be going 200 miles

ive seen them do that, just keep flippin back an forth trying to get ahead, at the next stop, there they are, right next to you,, just look at them smile an shrug, confuses hell outa them, buck

I dip Copenhagen, so I usually have a large fast-food type cup in the cup holder. I will hold on that cup, adding more and more "juice" each day, until I get that one tailgater that just won't quit. Then I move over to the right a little, and empty the contents of that cup out the window. Problem solved.:mattmoon:

I dip Copenhagen, so I usually have a large fast-food type cup in the cup holder. I will hold on that cup, adding more and more "juice" each day, until I get that one tailgater that just won't quit. Then I move over to the right a little, and empty the contents of that cup out the window. Problem solved.:mattmoon:

:thumbsup::D:D:D

If you mod your brake lights that could be illegal
If you drive around with a hitch not attached to anything that also could be illegal.
Ticketable offenses.
Modding your brake lights to intentionally try to cause an accident for the car in back of you is pretty ******. It's the WRONG way to deal with things & makes you more of a ass then the tailgater.
The person has every right to drive the way they see fit even if it is dangerous, just like you have every right to get out of the way.

And not everyone reacts the same way. You want to avoid the potential of some nutjob overreacting to something you do.

If you mod your brake lights that could be illegal
If you drive around with a hitch not attached to anything that also could be illegal.
Ticketable offenses.
Modding your brake lights to intentionally try to cause an accident for the car in back of you is pretty ******. It's the WRONG way to deal with things & makes you more of a ass then the tailgater.
The person has every right to drive the way they see fit even if it is dangerous, just like you have every right to get out of the way.

And not everyone reacts the same way. You want to avoid the potential of some nutjob overreacting to something you do.

This is what I try to be like...

this is what I am like when put in the situation:
:frustrate
:rolleyes:
:burnout:
:dunno:
:smoke:
:D

Ticketable offenses.

How is it illegal or a ticketable offense to have a hitch in your receiver?

I second that. It's considered a part of you vehicle. Are you also saying that It might be illegal to drive around with a hitch mounted bike rack if you have no bikes on it?

I did that once, and it turned out that the van behind me was full of construction workers.

Its not, unless it blocks the plate or sticks past the bumper by XX inches and doesnt have a red flag or cover. (whatever your state has deemed as an appropriate length.)

Are you also saying that It might be illegal to drive around with a hitch mounted bike rack if you have no bikes on it?

All of those should be illegal, I've never seen one that doesnt block the plate.

I was behind someone who had 7 bikes on their :scratch: Rav4 (I dont even know for sure what it was, I couldnt see the back of it.), 5 on a hanger off the back and 2 on the roof. You couldnt see the plate or the brake lights!!!!

Back