Lugs stuck... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lugs stuck...

hatecars

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer
So got new tires today. Came home to do rear brakes... Can't get the damn lugs off..Is this just from the strength of those air guns(i have been trying to do it by hand)?

Do i have to go back to the shop so they can loosen them then i can hand tighten them..?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can not get the lug nuts loose by hand, they tightened them way to tight. They should have used either a torque wrench or a torque stick to put them back on. Go back and make them do it right and don't go back again.

I turned my dad's lug nut wrench for his Grand Cherokee into a pretzel a couple weeks ago because a shop did this exact same thing. I ended up using my lug wrench (much stronger) and a 3 ft breaker bar on it just to get them to budge.

Before you start breaking those lugs loose, run to the parts store and get some spare lugnuts and studs just in case you break a few. Been there done that it sucks.

So got new tires today. Came home to do rear brakes... Can't get the damn lugs off..Is this just from the strength of those air guns(i have been trying to do it by hand)? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Try using a long handled (3 ft or more)breaker bar and a impact socket for extra torque, should break loose.

Do i have to go back to the shop so they can loosen them then i can hand tighten them..?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would go back to the tire store and tell them to loosen the lugs up for you and have them re-tighten them up with a hand lug wrench, at no cost to you of course. Ask this of them nicely and once they are done, tell that f'in idiot of a "tire jockey" to stop over torquing the lug nuts with those damn torque wrenches they use. Never fails with them. Had you gotten a flat on the ride home and couldn't change the tire on the side of the road because of the over tightened lug nuts, that tire jockey would have cost you a tow ride ($250 or so) home on a flat bed truck. You have the right to give them a peace of your mind, just do it after they correct the torque on the lug nuts. BTW, if they give you any BS about loosening the lug nuts for you, just show them your receipt and point out how much you just spent at their store on new tires.

The same thing happened to me after visiting "Just Brakes". I took it back to have them correct it and it turned into this:

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

They replaced the rear hub and axle for free. The manager came out and did the work himself...

HiImBrian, well atleast you got a part that fails regularly replaced for free! Hate to have trouble like this though.
Stu

if you have a little propane torch around the house you could always try heating the lugs up then putting on the wrench. maybe it would be a good idea to put a little anti seize on the threads when you get them off. this would be a nightmare if you got a flat on the highway and couldn't change it.

The same thing happened to me after visiting "Just Brakes". I took it back to have them correct it and it turned into this:

They replaced the rear hub and axle for free. The manager came out and did the work himself...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe "Just Brakes" should change their business name to "Just brakes, hubs and axles"? ;) Good to hear they repaired it for you. What is also nice is that you were able to take clear photographs of the store manager, making him famous now, getting his hands dirty.

Back