Hard Shifting

Stefanlg55

Reaction score
City, State
Middleborough, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Police Pack
Veh: 2000 Explorer AWD 5.0L

Recently i changed out the fluid and filter in my transmission hoping it might help with the hard shifting i have had (also added some Lucas Stop Slip). The fluid looked clean and after topping it off it hasn't seemed to help.

I'm guessing it might be the Vacuum modulator but i don't know were to start looking if anyone knows i would really appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Veh: 2000 Explorer AWD 5.0L

Recently i changed out the fluid and filter in my transmission hoping it might help with the hard shifting i have had (also added some Lucas Stop Slip). The fluid looked clean and after topping it off it hasn't seemed to help.

I'm guessing it might be the Vacuum modulator but i don't know were to start looking if anyone knows i would really appreciate it.

Explain "hard shifting": Takes too long to decide to shift? Shift feels rough or harsh? Or, shift takes too long to finish, once begun? Does engine speed seem to change about normally as shift occurs? Which gears sdeem affected, all, one, or two? Initial engagement (from "P" or "N") seems normal? Engine spped-up during any shift?

For certain, not knowing anything else, you have NO vacuum modulator problem; in fact, ya ain't even got any modulator! ;)
Tell more specific description of symptoms. Also, check for stored "trouble codes". imp

it takes too long to decide to shift and shift takes too long to finish. It seems to be mainly 3rd gear but when giving it gas they all do it bad.

I also notice that when u engage into "D" from "R" or "P" there is a short delay before it slips into gear

it takes too long to decide to shift and shift takes too long to finish. It seems to be mainly 3rd gear but when giving it gas they all do it bad.

I also notice that when u engage into "D" from "R" or "P" there is a short delay before it slips into gear

A first guess: Operating pressure is low. Possibly sticking Pressure Control Solenoid. Does engine "speed up" as the shift is occurring?

It would be a good idea to check for trouble codes. Be sure fluid level is adequate. imp

Yea the engine does speed up a bit ive noticed. But there are no trouble codes and i just topped off the fluid.

Back