• Register Today It's free!

HID light cleaning

gpzrider

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4x4
Anyone happen to know how I can clean this?

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh618/gpzrider1/IMAG0383.jpg

Looks like during assembly, someone with a rather greasy finger put a big smudge on my HID lens. It is not causing any lighting issue but I assume that just like a halogen bulb, if there is some foreign substance on the glass, it will cause it to burn and eventually fail prematurely.

This is on the inside lens, not the outside cover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happend in my car I took it back to dealer they did not mess with it just replaced the unit with a new one

My list is getting long.

1. MFT upgrade
2. Heater malfunctioning
3. Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration
4. Tin roof sound
5. A pillar rattle
6. Intermittent steering wheel vibration
and a new addition...no. 7
7. New headlight

I hope they have long term loaner.

If you take it in for the smudge on the lens, the dealer will probably just tell you they 'couldn't reproduce the issue'. :)

Looks like during assembly, someone with a rather greasy finger put a big smudge on my HID lens. It is not causing any lighting issue but I assume that just like a halogen bulb, if there is some foreign substance on the glass, it will cause it to burn and eventually fail prematurely.

Definitely sounds like 'some disassembly required'. Since it came that way. I would strongly suggest to the dealer that this should be a 'no charge' item.
I wonder if it can actually be cleaned now or would the heat have imprinted it on the lens.

Peter

Needed! Headlight Inspector.

I think it adds character. Seriously though. How did something like that make it thru final inspection. I say fire the headlight inspector fo sho. Unless they look like this.

823l.jpg

:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

I have the same thing, although not as bad.

I actually think the hids suck, and was debating on swapping the projectors for a better pair, but it's not money I want to spend at this point.

20111216_191501.jpg

Dealer! +1

I got one word for you: Warranty! :)

I hope they have long term loaner.

Your dealer offers loaners for service? Didn't know any in Los Angeles did. What dealer do you goto? Ford convinced my dealer to foot the bill for a rental once, got a really nice Nissan Versa. NOT

Well, everytime I took my infiniti fx 35 in I got a loaner. I'm assuming ford would do the same. Bought it at south bay ford in torrance. Guess I'll find out when I take it in. They have a full time shoe shine guy, Starbucks and 5 flat screen tvs, so maybe it's upscale and they hand out loaners like candy.

I have the same thing, although not as bad.

I actually think the hids suck, and was debating on swapping the projectors for a better pair, but it's not money I want to spend at this point.

20111216_191501.jpg

Really? I think the HIDs in the Explorer are freaking great. I've had BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and these are just as good.

Really? I think the HIDs in the Explorer are freaking great. I've had BMW, Mercedes, Acura, and these are just as good.

Yeah, they are awful compared to every other car I've driven with hids.

Acura TSX
Acura RDX
Mazda6 modded with replica FX projectors
Infiniti FX35

Acura TSX
Acura RDX
Infiniti FX35

What is it that you don't like?

What is it that you don't like?

Also, I don't really like the beam pattern. there is a heavy concentration of light to the right of center from both lights. Park close to a wall at night and you'll see what I'm talking about. The beam pattern is also represented accurately in the manual. In my humble opinion it leave too much of a dark spot on the left side roadway. I agree, other HID on the road are much brighter and whiter.

That's a supplier issue anyhow- Ford doesn't assemble them, which is why they just replace them. Curious to see if the same tier 2 or 3 vendor is still supplying them for the 2013's...

That's a supplier issue anyhow- Ford doesn't assemble them, which is why they just replace them. Curious to see if the same tier 2 or 3 vendor is still supplying them for the 2013's...

They are Hella E55 projectors, which have been the workhorse of the hid lighting industry for a long time. However, they are an old design, and aren't particularly good at what they do. But they are cheap and very popular.

Plus, since they are ds3, there are few bulb options, and even fewer ballast options. So putting in a better/brighter bulb isn't going to happen, nor can a 55 watt ballast be installed.

Acura TSX
Acura RDX
Infiniti FX35

I agree. The beam pattern is not consistent, even with halogens. There's hot spots and an uneven beam pattern. Since adding HID's (4300K), it just amplifies the poor projectors.

My prior cars have had much cleaner and even beam patterns even without projectors.
'06 Acura RL
'05 MB C230
'02 BMW 530i
'00 Acura RL (no projectors)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back