• Register Today It's free!

where is my PCV valve?

iowafarmboy

Reaction score
City, State
le Mars, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 short box
I have the 4 cyl engine with EFI. It has spark plugs (8) on both sides of the engine. I am wondering where the PCV valve is and is it worth it to replace it. I do use a lot of oil but rarely see any smoke unless I accelerate up a VERY steep hill when cold. The body and engine are just about shot so I'm just running it till it dies or gets a flat tire. The bolts on the wheels are rusted so bad that they'll never come off. But it STARTS no matter HOW COLD IT GETS sitting outside all winter with no protection from the wind. It may have 140,000 miles or it may have 240,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on the 4.0L V6 its on the drivers side valve cover.............. unsure of a positive location based on your Specs

more specific?

When you say driver's side valve cover, is that near the front, the rear, is it part of the valve cover itself and the valve cover needs to be removed? What does it look like and how may hoses go into it? I saw two different 'how to' articals that give it's locations on opposite sides and it sounded like you have to take half the engine off to get to it.

it just sits into the rear/top of the valve cover.......... no removing cover

the more specific was in regards to engine size/liter, cause no first Gen Explorers had anything smaller than the OHV 4L, you dealing with a Ranger? guess if I had read more into your stats, I would have seen that you got a short box........... running the 2.3?

my bad

My bad. Didn't mention I had a Ranger. And yes it's the 2.3. What is the deal with the 8 spark plugs? The guy at the auto shop just said don't pay any attention to the plugs on the driver's side. I don't know if I could get to them anyway. I had to buy a set of plug wires and I thought they had given me the wrong ones. That's the only way I even knew I had 8 plugs.

???????

In 1989 the 2.3 was changed to a DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) ignition utilizing a new 8-plug head ( 2-plugs per cylinder). This head had larger evenly spaced D-shaped intake ports and was used until the end of production of the 2.5 in 2001.

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/4cylinders.html

91 -92

I looked up the site you put in your post, which I appreciate very much. So I looked to see which plugs I SHOULD be using and wouldn't you know it DOESN'T list the plugs for the years 1991 and 1992. Just can't win.

Thanks

One more time... thank you very much. I guess the things I like most about the Ranger is it's size and transmission. I'm a stick shift kind of guy. My 2004 Exploder is the only vehicle I drive that has an automatic. Even though this Ranger I now drive ($500 a couple years ago) is about on it's last leg, the transmission feels like it's still like brand new. Is there a year of Ranger / engine I should look for or steer clear of when this one finally bites the bullet so to speak?

...Maybe a Moderator can move this to the "Ranger" sub-forum for you..:D

..Your plug and gap size should be easily found on a sticker (toward the bottom) located near your radiator..;)

Back