300,000 Wasted Gallons? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

300,000 Wasted Gallons?

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
I was just thinking. Ford is mailing out 300,000 of these updates that require the car to be running during install. Online I saw a comment that an average of 1 gallon is used for each hour of idling.

So that means (unless you are doing it during an hour long trip) there is potentially 300,000 gallons of wasted fuel?

That isn't exactly environmentally friendly. Why on earth does the car need to be running the whole time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just thinking. Ford is mailing out 300,000 of these updates that require the car to be running during install. Online I saw a comment that an average of 1 gallon is used for each hour of idling.

So that means (unless you are doing it during an hour long trip) there is potentially 300,000 gallons of wasted fuel?

That isn't exactly environmentally friendly. Why on earth does the car need to be running the whole time?

I'm not sure why they tell you that the vehicle needs to be running during the update. I updated my software from 2.4 to 2.11 without the vehicle running with no problem.

I'll just plan the usb update for when I know I will have at least an hour drive.
In addition to not wanting to waste an hour worth of fuel or my time at idling, I am not going to risk overheating the engine! :D :mad:

They do not want to chance the battery dying in the middle of the install. No different than needing to have a computer plugged in during a software reload.

Or having it go into a power save mode after so many minutes.

Hi,

1 gallon per hour is a lot. From what I've read, regular cars (v4, gas, <2L engine) have an idle of less than 1/4th gallon per hour with a warm engine.

I'm not sure why they tell you that the vehicle needs to be running during the update. I updated my software from 2.4 to 2.11 without the vehicle running with no problem.

Previous updates haven't taken an hour... the car goes into a power saving mode after a certain amount of time with no engine running to keep the battery from dying. This could potentially leave you with a half installed firmware.

It says in the update video that the length of time for the update depends on your current version of MFT. So those of you up to date to this point will have a lot shorter update than someone on 2.4. They say an hour at most, and you can do it while driving to work or whatever.

What do the dealers do?

This is a great thread! My question...if you take the Ex into the dealer, what do they do? I assume they can do multiple updates @ the same time...do they have them all running in the shop OR do they hook them up to a battery charger to override the 10 power save feature???

Any dealers out there that can comment?

They let them run. Appparently they are checking the cooling fans when doing the update. Someone on the Ford Explorer facebook page said the Service Bulletin said to run the fans during the update. They think this is the only reason people with build dates before 1 April were asked to bring their vehicles to the dealer. So they could check all the fans. I am holding back on using profanity and name calling.

Yeah, imagine your truck overheats while doing the update! %^&$#@

Back