A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update

Has anybody seen a TSB or instructions sent to dealer to properly install the new software?
The form I printed off from the syncmyride site and that I have to give to the dealer has a note to the dealer explaining I am eigible for a dealer installed Sync update and that the software is available on the PTS website.
I'm assuming the proper installation procedure is outlined there as well.

The dealer also received an information package from Ford Canada this week.
The service advisor told me he was aware of the performance upgrade program and were awaiting arrival of the SD cards.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Ex was built in Jan 2011, and syncmyride did state that a dealer install would need to be done. I called the dealer and of course they were not aware that they needed to provide the new nav card, stating I should get it in the mail. I didn't want to argue, so I then called IVT. It took about an hour, and, after being transferred to 3 differrent people to determine it, they agreed it needed to go to the dealer. They offered to call my service rep to explain it. I called the dealer the next day and he said he received a call from IVT, and they ordered the A3 Nav chip. It came in and was installed yesterday. I also had them repair the A pillars and a vibration noise in the dual panel moonroof area. So far, everything is working fine. Phones paired, iPod (Touch not iPhone) loaded my 350 or so songs in a matter of minutes, and the nav is much faster at figuring things out. Approaching 30K miles on it. It is still a great vehicle.

this is the "faster, simpler, better my ford touch" ... lol.. what a joke
I took this video last night after my commute home...
Interested in how Ford can spin this

My entire 30 minute commute had no radio, no hvac, no navi, no phone, etc... after shutting off the car and then restarting, screen was just black for another 20 minutes.. pulled battery cable... screen still didn't come back on.. I had to leave the battery disconnected all night. It finally rebooted when I started the car this morning. I'm not about to break my back pulling fuses (again).

I said that Ford stuck to Flash Lite with the new update, and that it would degrade with regular use. I expected that to take 2 weeks or so, it only took 3 days for it to get slow enough to just freeze completely.

I'll be taking this to the dealer to reflash, if it happens again (which I expect it will) then the car will make a trip to my lawyer. Denying us any service on MFT related issues for the last year because everyone is expecting for this magical update, and then not fixing the underlying problems in the update is just beyond me.

My entire 30 minute commute had no radio, no hvac, no navi, no phone, etc... after shutting off the car and then restarting, screen was just black for another 20 minutes.. pulled battery cable... screen still didn't come back on.. I had to leave the battery disconnected all night. It finally rebooted when I started the car this morning. I'm not about to break my back pulling fuses (again).

I said that Ford stuck to Flash Lite with the new update, and that it would degrade with regular use. I expected that to take 2 weeks or so, it only took 3 days for it to get slow enough to just freeze completely.

I'll be taking this to the dealer to reflash, if it happens again (which I expect it will) then the car will make a trip to my lawyer. Denying us any service on MFT related issues for the last year because everyone is expecting for this magical update, and then not fixing the underlying problems in the update is just beyond me.

have you been to the dealer to reflash yours yet chimo? I also did the update via USB then got the message saying I must have mine updated at the dealer. So far other than navi being laggy (which was expected) mine seems to be working fine. I'm hesitant to just leave it be if there was indeed a patch that needed to be installed.

Not picking on ya, but you did post on the 15th that you had to take to dealer. Others have posted that you may have problems if you do self install when it says go to dealer. You opted to do self install. I'm sorry you are having more problems. Yet, it doesn't seem fair to rip it when you took actions counter to what the factory recommends.

Not picking on ya, but you did post on the 15th that you had to take to dealer. Others have posted that you may have problems if you do self install when it says go to dealer. You opted to do self install. I'm sorry you are having more problems. Yet, it doesn't seem fair to rip it when you took actions counter to what the factory recommends.

No offense taken, let me explain my standpoint a little.

1) I was able to download the update off of SyncMyRide BEFORE it gave me the message that I had to take it to the dealer.

2) IVT phone support told me that I only needed to go to the dealer because my car was purchased as a fleet/lease vehicle, and no one has been able to give me a definitive answer on why the vehicles that have a dealer only install are getting the message. The dealers say it's because they need to check the cooling fans at the same time, IVT says it's for various reasons ranging from a patch to fleet/lease vehicles, etc.

3) I stated above I will take it to the dealer for a reflash, but they get one shot

4) Ford stuck to using Flash Lite with this new magical update. I predicted in other threads that the performance would degrade over time after I added the nav SD card, based on my experience with Flash Lite in development. It's pretty ironic that my prediction was spot on. I have had zero issues with the new update until I added the Nav SD card tuesday. After adding the card things have progressively gotten slower over the three days, until last night it died.

I plan on scheduling an appointment to have the dealer reflash the update. I just understand how this application is working, and can tell you I fully expect this to be a common problem. They are no longer restarting the system each time you power down the vehicle, they are putting it into a sleep mode (like closing the lid on a laptop).. that means memory leaks and arrant threads will be retained on next startup. Flash Lite is awful technology. Adobe has suspended new development on flash mobile, and flash lite for a reason. THIS is the reason. Apple refuses to support flash in it's products... THIS IS THE REASON!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5f...DvjVQa1PpcFPNBOdN2Iy8IpqqpYtHy-7jhb_LUUxoiL4=

I actually had mine done at the dealer (I had the option for the download though) and had some similarly wierd bugginess where I tried to listen to USB last night in accessory mode and no matter what I did, it would not play out of the speakers. In many cases, MFT would literally be on the USB screen and the elapsed time on a USB song would be counting up (exactly as if it were playing) and yet the AM radio would be coming through the speakers!

I even did the Master reset as soon as i picked it up and still ended up having to pull fuse 29 to fix the problem. No problems since, but I haven't exactly used it a ton since either.

Was hopeful this wouldn't happen but was pretty much expecting it. I doubt there will be any difference doing it at the dealer except you will have another week or so before it bogs down. I will keep bringing it back to dealer to log in proof in case I do the lemon law in NY. I hope not but I am half expecting that too. I have not installed a thing yet. I am waiting for it to come in the mail so I do 100% what Ford said without deviation.

" The dealers say it's because they need to check the cooling fans at the same time, IVT says it's for various reasons ranging from a patch to fleet/lease vehicles, etc. "

I can confirm the cooling concern on the early 2011s. The concern is that if you haven't had the fans replaced according to the TSB, the extended idle time to install the update could cause an overheating issue - disrupting the update - and well, overheating. You might not know your fans need replaced if you haven't had an extended idling situation where they rear their ugly heads.

I went in yesterday, sure enough my fans needed replaced, and they then did the update.

QUOTE]

Thanks for taking time to explain. Now I understand more.

When somone says they do the master reset in new - does that:
1) wipe/refresh memory
2) do you have to re-pair phone
3) do you lose other data info. and vehicle

Thanks, - about to order a 2013 XLT so just trying to learn things to know what to expect and look for.

I'm thinking there are issues with the hardware. Most of us are having NO issues, while there are a few having many.

Thanks for taking time to explain. Now I understand more.

When somone says they do the master reset in new - does that:
1) wipe/refresh memory
2) do you have to re-pair phone
3) do you lose other data info. and vehicle

Thanks, - about to order a 2013 XLT so just trying to learn things to know what to expect and look for.

1) It wipes out all of the settings related to phones and navigation, as well as the settings for preferences and things. It will retain your presets for radio/sirius, but you will lose your navigation destinations, phone pairings, etc.

2) yes

3) Presets and a few odd settings stay in place, but for the most part a master reset will wipe the system clean, as if you just picked it up from the dealer.

I can confirm the cooling concern on the early 2011s. The concern is that if you haven't had the fans replaced according to the TSB, the extended idle time to install the update could cause an overheating issue - disrupting the update - and well, overheating. You might not know your fans need replaced if you haven't had an extended idling situation where they rear their ugly heads.

I went in yesterday, sure enough my fans needed replaced, and they then did the update.

Which would further enforce my position that the problems I'm experiencing are not in relation to my install, and that they aren't going to go away by having the dealer "reflash" the system. I have an appt for Monday btw.

" The dealers say it's because they need to check the cooling fans at the same time, IVT says it's for various reasons ranging from a patch to fleet/lease vehicles, etc. "

Thanks, So you confirm that the only reason the vehicles have to be brought in is so they can check the fans? They don't do anything different to the hardware, they don't update the software? They just bring the vehicle in and update the system with the same USB upgrade that everyone else is doing at home. If this is so and people are still having trouble like wikedz is. Well.....
Ford will just have added another pile onto my case for mediation. That's too bad. I'm done. FORD is as good as dead to me.

Chimoman OUT.

I got my AIPM module replaced in '12 Explorer because after going black screen for the 6th plus time it finally died and never recovered. I can say without any doubt in my mind the 'My Freak'n Turd' is still just that. It doesn't recognize 90% of my voice commands (before the update it was about 50%), and just before it lost the BT connection with my phone. I previously had an '07 Infiniti that had a better working navigation and computer than this. I could even say 'redial' - who the heck left that command out?

Nice job Ford.

I got my update done yesterday as well as applicable TSBs (almost). I have '12 Ex LTD. Granted the truck is only 3 weeks new to me. I am very disappointed with my selling dealership (made appt and told them what I wanted and they failed to have parts on hand), but I did go to Brandon Ford in Brandon FL and they were more than happy to fit me and install the MFT upgrade and install the A3 SD card.

I did learn a few things, according the mechanic, There are 3 types of 'recalls' on the MFT. 1) A1- which means there is software to be installed by dealer 2) A2- is Fleet/Lease vehicles 3) A3- is those getting in the mail.

In regards for the TSB on the A-Pillar, he stated they only due the pillar repair based on which side is noted on the WO. So if you complain on driver, then you get driver done and if you complain on both, you get both done.

I tried to get the roof done, but they were out of the foam stuff. Was tempted to tell them to run across the street to Home Depot and buy some good stuff. So I will get that done later.

They said they had about 25 SD cards in stock, so can do a few more vehicles, if people need it done in Florida.

I did learn a few things, according the mechanic, There are 3 types of 'recalls' on the MFT. 1) A1- which means there is software to be installed by dealer 2) A2- is Fleet/Lease vehicles 3) A3- is those getting in the mail.
When I spoke with a service advisor early in the week he also mentioned that there were 3 different programs for the performance upgrade although he did not go into detail.

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5f...DvjVQa1PpcFPNBOdN2Iy8IpqqpYtHy-7jhb_LUUxoiL4=

NotupgradeablewithUSBpng.jpg

They'll spin. Just like a did. LMAO Read it. Not upgradeable with USB. Must be done by blah blah blah. OUT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the new version installed on mine (dealer installed as I have an early '11 model) for almost a week, and so far, so good. Been very smooth and slightly faster than my old version. I have found a couple things I don't like. Like most of you, I'd like the temperature back in the MFT display, and I'd like the ability to have just my background showing with the four tabs in the corners WITHOUT having all the text on the screen.

Nav is better. My lane actually exists now :)

Back