02 Explorer, another starting problem thread. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer, another starting problem thread.

Well I can't even really fit tin snips in there and get enough leverage on it to cut it off.........

you need a small hacksaw blade or a pipe cutter to cut it , its nearly impossible to cut that line with tin snips.

does the fuel line tool fit in there it just wont go in far enough. dont get too frustated with it these fuel lines can be a real PITA.

you wont have room for a whole hacksaw ,so just take the blade off and tape up the end that you want to use as the handle, and it dont go too fast and create any sparks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm trying the last tool that Autozone has tomorrow, we'll see if that one works. If not I have some hacksaw blades around here somewhere.

I absolutely hated this part. The trick is to pull the line tword the filter as hard as you can, stick the damn tool into the hole hard, hold leverage on the tool and pull the thing apart.

Good luck

Well still no go with this latest tool......I've just taped up the end of a hacksaw blade and I'm going to start sawing at it.

Ok I cut the filter off, and looking in I can see the spring loaded pins. They are a bit flat on the back side which is likely why I'm guessing it's hard to push them in. If I use a pick it's pretty easy to lay them flat, unfortunately with such a tight space it's pretty impossible to hold 4 pics in there to release them.

Ok I cut the filter off, and looking in I can see the spring loaded pins. They are a bit flat on the back side which is likely why I'm guessing it's hard to push them in. If I use a pick it's pretty easy to lay them flat, unfortunately with such a tight space it's pretty impossible to hold 4 pics in there to release them.

you might be able to use the pick to remove the clip inside the fuel line (bend and pry) , then you can either rebend them back when you install the fuel filter , or pick up a new spring clip at the parts store (should only be a buck or 2) .

if you rebend them it might be hard to replace the fuel filter later on (i replace mine every 6 months or so).

did you try blowing thru the filter , did it feel pretty clogged , and do you see fuel comming out when you turn the key on ? it should be fairly easy to blow thru the filter??

I can blow through it, but not as freely as the new one. I haven't installed the battery to check if it comes out, but it was under a bit of pressure when I removed the tank side connections.

Ok, I FINALLY! got the old filter pipe out and the original clip. It looks different then the replacements they have at autozone though. They are the same size so I'm guess they work the same?

clip.jpg

This is my original.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00066UKGW...e=394997&creativeASIN=B00066UKGW&linkCode=asn
This is what they had at autozone.

Well the ones I got from Autozone don't fit all the way into the fuel line, they are too long it seems. I can't seem to find a part number at all for the 2002? These ones from autozone seem to fit the older explorers.

Yes! THANK YOU! Been racking my brain all day trying to find a part number. There doesn't seem to be a consistent name for these things.

Yes! THANK YOU! Been racking my brain all day trying to find a part number. There doesn't seem to be a consistent name for these things.

im not 100% sure that is the right size , but i knew dorman made them , so just double check the size

Hmm, well I ordered some. It comes with 2 sizes.

Well the new ones fit, got the fuel filter in and still not starting. I didn't think it was going to fix it after I got the old one out, but I wanted to cover all the basics before going to the drop the tank side of things. So it'll start and run a second when I spray starter fluid in, so I'm really thinking we have an issue with the fuel pump. Irks me because it was replaced just months before I purchased the car.

Where's the cheapest place to get the entire assembly? The last one that was put in was the rebuild kit.....I think I might go for the whole thing this time if I can get it cheap enough. I figure if I have to drop the tank or cut a hole in the floor to do it then I'm going to do it properly.

I got a fuel pressure gauge set (rented) to test the fuel pressure and confirm the pump, but I'm not sure how to use it yet. I have to do some youtube research.

Well the new ones fit, got the fuel filter in and still not starting. I didn't think it was going to fix it after I got the old one out, but I wanted to cover all the basics before going to the drop the tank side of things. So it'll start and run a second when I spray starter fluid in, so I'm really thinking we have an issue with the fuel pump. Irks me because it was replaced just months before I purchased the car.

Where's the cheapest place to get the entire assembly? The last one that was put in was the rebuild kit.....I think I might go for the whole thing this time if I can get it cheap enough. I figure if I have to drop the tank or cut a hole in the floor to do it then I'm going to do it properly.

I got a fuel pressure gauge set (rented) to test the fuel pressure and confirm the pump, but I'm not sure how to use it yet. I have to do some youtube research.

make sure the fuel pump fuse and relay are good and battery is charged , then check fuel pressure by hooking the gauge up to the fuel rail under the hood (looks like a tire valve) you should get 60-65 psi by cranking the engine for 10 seconds or so.

If you do need a new pump , personally i would get an OEM one , you can look up the part # at motorcraft.com or fordparts.com , and you will have to remove the fuel tank , then take the pump and sender assembly out of the top, and BTW it will have the same type of fuel line connectors as the fuel filter did. No need to cut thru the floor to remove the pump. When you take the old one out , make a mental note of which way the fuel lines are going, there should be an arrow or some other kinda of mark too.

Oh i was just looking up your pump and found the fuel shut off switch , ive had a couple of these go bad at work on the F150 250 350 etc.. check that as well (it should be in the passenger side kick panel under and to the right of the glove box) it is part # 9341 http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2002&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

fuel pump is here , double check the application , i entered 02 explorer 4x4 xls 4.0L

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2002&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

You know what....I'm an idiot. I completely forgot to put the fuel pump relay back in after replacing the filter. So I'm going to have to try and start it again here in a few.

Well the fuel pump is definitely working. I can crank it over a few times and then leave the key on and press the check valve in for the fuel rail and fuel just squirts out with lots of pressure. The gauge set I rented is not working properly so I couldn't get a reading. But from what I see shooting out of the valve it's gotta be close to if not more then 65psi.

At this point I'm thinking bad/faulty injectors. I can't see what else it could be if it's not the fuel pump? If I hold the gas down long enough eventually it'll start and run for about 30-45 seconds. There is obviously fuel getting to the rail, so I'm thinking the injectors could just be that bad that they got real screwed up? Or even completely clogged? I've replaced about every other part that it could be in the fuel system. It's getting spark, it's getting fuel, there is compression, and it wants to start because it tries to. When it's running for those 30 seconds there's not even a CEL.

Please let me know what you think about this. I'm going to try and go out today here soon and start removing the intake so I can get to the injectors and check them out.

check all your fuses first , then make sure your security light does not come on when you turn the key on . (i believe there are 1 or 2 fuses for the injectors)

can you see the injectors with out removing the intake (on my v8 the injectors are in plain sight) , cuz you could unplug them and ohm them out to check them , but i dont have the specs until i get back to work on monday

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I can see a couple of them, but the plastic intake makes it way to hard to reach in there I think.

Just seems like when I hold the gas down it's building up enough pressure to get some fuel in there and run for a min. But when I don't push the pedal it's not getting anything. Like I said definitely fuel at the rail.

Was kind of storming today so I didn't get a chance to do much. I'll probably start messing with it Tuesday because wife is off and I can do it all day. I may be able to do a bit while kids are at school tomorrow though.

Back