A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A faster, simpler, better myford touch is here - MFT Update

Took mine in to the dealer today.

The upgrade is much better but its still not immediate feedback upon touching the screen. Navigation is much better I will give them that, but its what it should have been.

The phone signal meter graphic overlays the word CONNECTED.......seriously?....a year to wait for that?........so no one saw that in testing?

For all those asking about the dealer required install.

My tech said 100% he never downloaded anything off the PTS website, he says its a dealer install because on early Explorers the tech has to manually set the fan to HIGH while doing the install. He says its clearly worded step by step on the Ford website.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sgt, I agree with you, Ford could not see these little issues, really? Testing should have benn completed by our forum members. Taking my ex in on Monday, fixing the darn glove box again, TSB for the tapping in the motor, and second row door window sill trim. Oh and the water in the right turn signal lens on the mirror. My ex was built in the first month of the 12 my build, I guess they didn't get some items on the line.

Took mine in to the dealer today.

The upgrade is much better but its still not immediate feedback upon touching the screen. Navigation is much better I will give them that, but its what it should have been.

The phone signal meter graphic overlays the word CONNECTED.......seriously?....a year to wait for that?........so no one saw that in testing?

My tech said 100% he never downloaded anything off the PTS website, he says its a dealer install because on early Explorers the tech has to manually set the fan to HIGH while doing the install. He says its clearly worded step by step on the Ford website.

Glad to see you got yours done. I will see tomorrow what they do with mine. I am going to insist that they use the Ford IDS version and not the USB method. Also hope they have an SD card.

The IDS version should be the latest with any changes made after the USB upgrade were sent out.

Having worked with electronic engineers for years, if a procedures is written to perform a task, then there is a reason for it. We all try to take short cuts, but in the end it winds up biting you. I know it is easier to use the USB port then remove the side panel to do the IDS programming.

I have read several post of those that did not go to the dealer and loaded the Upgrade via the USB method. Due to some unknown issues, they mention having to take their vehicles to their dealers for a re-flash.

Hope that yours works for you.

Thanks for the information. I just don't understand why FORD won't admit that this is the reason we have to take in pre-May 2011 build for the MFT update and why they don't want those owners doing it by themselves. Actually, I do.. I guess that would be admitting they have a bigger problem with these fans and that it should lead to a RECALL! (for pre-May 2011 builds)

Interesting. I often have wondered if my build (May 4) was on the good side or the bad side of the overheating thing. Since I was able to self install from syncmyride, I guess that means my build was late enough to dodge that bullet after all. Good info.

Thanks for the information. I just don't understand why FORD won't admit that this is the reason we have to take in pre-May 2011 build for the MFT update and why they don't want those owners doing it by themselves. Actually, I do.. I guess that would be admitting they have a bigger problem with these fans and that it should lead to a RECALL! (for pre-May 2011 builds)

Bingo!!

remind me please where i look to see when my ford was built, dont see it on driver door area

so some people have received the flash drive in the mail and some have not?

wow, sounds like the way they are doing this is total crap...

Thats exactly what I got from the Tech, he is a very honest guy who said the instructions tell him to check the fans and then manually set to high speed for entire IDS tool software update.

I showed him the Ford IVT communication document we have all seen here on the forum where it clearly says "Early builds require a complete reflash and new software from the PTS website"

He says he has nothing to indicate that anywhere on his instructions.

Its way better but still a few issues that need to be fixed.

remind me please where i look to see when my ford was built, dont see it on driver door area

Window Sticker

Its a STICKY thread at the top of each page here

Interesting update, my Tech just emailed me and said my Ex came up as an 11A02 not an 11A01 like I thought.

So that means mine is not considered an EARLY BUILD, so it doesn't need the extra software.

My build date was January 18 2011.

EXACT WORDING ON INVOICE

A Recall 11A02 SYNC with MyFord/MyLincoln Touch - Performance Upgrade CAUSE: 9641 Perform Recall 11A02, Command cooling fans to full using IDS, reprogram APIM with supplied USB flash drive. Install new SD card

1 CT4Z*19H449*AA CARD - MEMORY

Nope. I have to take mine to the dealer so I won't be receiving anything in the mail, except bills.;)

Peter

thanks, mine was built 3/11...what i still dont know is will I get a flashdrive in the mail, no matter what, or are some of us getting them and some of us not but ALL of us are getting SOMETHING in the mail telling us what to do?

Which I dont have yet, obviously...frustrating as going on trip for Easter, of course...

How are you NOT getting anything in the mail, i.e. how would you know to take it in to the dealer for any reason if you didn't already know about it?

Its on the drivers door jamb also

thanks, found it...my local dealer told me the reason this insanity is happening is ford decided to NOT use the same vendor Lincoln used, they sought out and used a cheaper vendor or version purposely to save money

i sure hope they didnt save any money on this and somebody learned a lesson

Not everyone will be receiving the update in the mail. Only those not directed to have the dealer do it will. Don't forget I believe this involves 300,000 vehicles.

The label on mine is not on the door. It is on the body on the lower right when you open the driver's door. The number on mine 1201102242750 indicates it was build Feb. 24, 2011.

Peter

Attachments

• P3230324a.jpg
    P3230324a.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 416

thanks, mine was built 3/11...what i still dont know is will I get a flashdrive in the mail, no matter what, or are some of us getting them and some of us not but ALL of us are getting SOMETHING in the mail telling us what to do?

Which I dont have yet, obviously...frustrating as going on trip for Easter, of course...

How are you NOT getting anything in the mail, i.e. how would you know to take it in to the dealer for any reason if you didn't already know about it?

Syncmyride.com site tells you if you have to go to dealer or not. If you have to got to dealer you will not get update/nav card in the mail (per Ford regional cutomer service manager).

OK, i have an appointment, no flashdrive in the mail, the first thing the ford dealer told me is they are still under the belief that i have to have a flashdrive but they made me an appt anyway..clearly people here know more than my dealer, is there any info you can give me I need to give to them about the update?

It's puzzling how FORD is overly cautious with these early builds and give instructions to the dealers to set on HIGH speed the fans during the MFT update, but yet seems not concerned if the customer is in bumper-to-bumper traffic and as a result your engine overheats! :wtf:
Oh, we shouldn't worry, the engine has a coolant overheat "fail safe" system, right... how do we know that "fail safe" system even works how/when it's supposed to when they can't guarantee the fans to turn on when they are supposed to?
Yeah, if I would have leased, I would also care less, let the f*** overheat! but I purchased the ex for the long run. This vehicle is my first FORD and in 5 years I will tell you if it was my last one as well
I don't know if I should LMAOF :D or CMAOF :(

It's puzzling how FORD is overly cautious with these early builds and give instructions to the dealers to set on HIGH speed the fans during the MFT update, but yet seems not concerned if the customer is in bumper-to-bumper traffic and as a result your engine overheats! :wtf:
Oh, we shouldn't worry, the engine has a coolant overheat "fail safe" system, right... how do we know that "fail safe" system even works how/when it's supposed to when they can't guarantee the fans to turn on when they are supposed to?
Yeah, if I would have leased, I would also care less, let the f*** overheat! but I purchased the ex for the long run. This vehicle is my first FORD and in 5 years I will tell you if it was my last one as well
I don't know if I should LMAOF :D or CMAOF :(
i am obviously out of the loop again, is there an issue with the fan? overheating?

wow, i bought this vehicle solely because my client was the ford dealer, and for no other reason, and they have since lost their dealership, not very happy about any of this but as usual, it could be a whole lot worse and i know it

worrying about issues of my new car, i could not have any car and then i would have issues :thumbsup:

i am obviously out of the loop again, is there an issue with the fan? overheating?

wow, i bought this vehicle solely because my client was the ford dealer, and for no other reason, and they have since lost their dealership, not very happy about any of this but as usual, it could be a whole lot worse and i know it

worrying about issues of my new car, i could not have any car and then i would have issues :thumbsup:

Yes, you can do a search for engine overheat, radiator dual fans failing, it's all over these forums, and the ford explorer facebook page. Check it the sticky posts regarding TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) section.

Here it is:
TSB
11-5-18 COOLING FAN NOISE, LACK A/C AND/OR OVERHEAT CONDITION
Publication Date: May 24, 2011
FORD: 2011 Taurus, Explorer, Flex
LINCOLN: 2011 MKS, MKT
ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer, MKT, Flex, Taurus, and MKS vehicles equipped with dual engine cooling fans and built between 9/1/2010 and 3/14/2011 may exhibit a noise as the cooling fans wind down to a stop, lack of air conditioner performance while the vehicle is stationary or moving at slow speeds, and/or an overheat condition.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
Using IDS, verify the fan operates properly. (PID FAN_CTRL or FAN_DSD).
If the fan makes a squeak or squeals as it spins to a stop or if the fan does not operate, replace the cooling fan assembly. Refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 303-03.
If the fan is operating properly do not continue with this article.
Prior to releasing the vehicle, ensure the coolant level is at the proper level.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BA8Z-8C607-C Cooling Fan (Explorer/Flex/MKT)
BA5Z-8C607-C Cooling Fan (Taurus/MKS w/Dual Cooling Fans)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110518A 2011 MKS 3.7L DOHC And Taurus 3.5L DOHC: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.
110518A 2011 MKT 3.7L DOHC And Flex 3.5L DOHC: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.
110518A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.
110518A 2011 MKT, Flex, Taurus, And MKS 3.5L GTDI: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8c607 42

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, i have an appointment, no flashdrive in the mail, the first thing the ford dealer told me is they are still under the belief that i have to have a flashdrive but they made me an appt anyway..clearly people here know more than my dealer, is there any info you can give me I need to give to them about the update?
Rebecca posted a number the dealer should call if they need clarrification on the performance upgrade. It is likely in one of her posts in the IVT TEAM section. I believe it is the number for the IVT team at Ford. Call your dealer and make sure they have everything they need to do the job. If not, or they give you the same story, go to another dealer.

Peter

Last edited:

Back