• Register Today It's free!

Tire noise

CDNexp

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 2012
I have a 2012 limited with 20" with wheels, 8000 km and four months of ownership. I find the stock tires kind of noisy specially if you driving at certain speed and you pass over a small bump I will hear a high pitch sound like some one blowing in an air pipe . The reason I am suspecting the tires is because the sound is kind of similar to one when you drive on certain type of pavement with warning grooves. Any one noticed this or is it me just being picky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 limited with 20" with wheels, 8000 km and four months of ownership. I find the stock tires kind of noisy specially if you driving at certain speed and you pass over a small bump I will hear a high pitch sound like some one blowing in an air pipe . The reason I am suspecting the tires is because the sound is kind of similar to one when you drive on certain type of pavement with warning grooves. Any one noticed this or is it me just being picky.
This is the first post that I can recall with this type of comment. Have you had this all along our did it just start?
I'm afraid I can't really comment on the tires. I replaced my OEM Hankooks with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires the day I picked up the Explorer and then used Winter wheels/tires for the past 5 months.

Peter

I'm a soon to be Ex owner, so can't speak from experience (have my 2013 on order)

But my quick thought - given A-pillar problem:
Have you had the TSB repair done for A-pillars? The small bumps may make a slight deflection in air flow that is giving you the whistle noise.

but last part of your description of warning groves in road makes me think otherwise.

Good luck in your search for answer. :salute:

I started noticing this after a month.. Again it is not that loud and it dosen't happen all the time. My wife didn't complain from it. I am trying to convince my self it is only in my head :)

Check your cold tire pressures. They should be 35-36.

Is this your first SUV? I ask because an SUV has much more tires noise than a car. Depends on your reference point.

I had a murano before... But i'll double check the tire pressure.. Thanks for the tip

A lot of owners complain about the crap stock tires that come with a new vehicle.

A lot of owners complain about the crap stock tires that come with a new vehicle.
I got $80 per OEM tire on buying the Yokohamas. Most tire shops I called wouldn't give me anything for them. Neither would the dealer.

Peter

My Ranger came stock with Continental Centritrac, and I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard to figure out there nickname -- CentriCrap. I've also heard of other drivers complaining of Hankook's (which came with the wife's Edge) and even a cheaper Michelin set. I have driven a decent amount of vehicles in my short life, and I've never had a set of tires that I absolutely hated. The biggest complaint that I hear in forums about tires especially concerning new vehicles is the road noise. Every vehicle rides differently, and either I got lucky or I'm not a very picky.

I got $80 per OEM tire on buying the Yokohamas. Most tire shops I called wouldn't give me anything for them. Neither would the dealer.

Peter

Our OEM 20" Hankooks cost over $200 per tire. With almost 39,000 miles now, and 2 winters, they have been excellent. I plan to replace these at about the 45-50,000 miles mark. My next tire will probably be the Bridgestone Alenza.

IMO, you wasted a ton of money on the Yoko's........mainly because you use a dedicated winter tire, anyways.

Our OEM 20" Hankooks cost over $200 per tire. With almost 39,000 miles now, and 2 winters, they have been excellent. I plan to replace these at about the 45-50,000 miles mark. My next tire will probably be the Bridgestone Alenza.

IMO, you wasted a ton of money on the Yoko's........mainly because you use a dedicated winter tire, anyways.
Hi Bill. I don't agree with the term 'wasted'. 'Spent' would be a better alternative. I picked up my Ex in March and around here that usually means that there is still quite a bit of Winter weather left. Given the overall negative reviews of Hankooks in general especially for Winter performance, I opted to get a better tire with a little more aggressive tread. Looking back, I probably would have been okay with the Hankooks but I still see various reports on them ranging from 'Excellent' to 'Poor'. It was a judgement call and one that gave me better peace of mind. The Yoko's listed at $317 ea. and I got them for $237.
Besides, it's only money and I was told I can't take it with me. At my age what am I going to do? Give it away to fellow forum members?;)

Peter

Hi Bill. I don't agree with the term 'wasted'. 'Spent' would be a better alternative. I picked up my Ex in March and around here that usually means that there is still quite a bit of Winter weather left. Given the overall negative reviews of Hankooks in general especially for Winter performance, I opted to get a better tire with a little more aggressive tread. Looking back, I probably would have been okay with the Hankooks but I still see various reports on them ranging from 'Excellent' to 'Poor'. It was a judgement call and one that gave me better peace of mind. The Yoko's listed at $317 ea. and I got them for $237.
Besides, it's only money and I was told I can't take it with me. At my age what am I going to do? Give it away to fellow forum members?;)

Peter

Peter, your tire shop riped you off, B I G time:

The Hankooks are 'worth' over $213 per tire retail. They gave you $80. That's a $532 delta for a set of 4.

Then they charged you $317 for the Yoko's. Yoko's only cost $194 per tire retail. That's another $492 overcharged for a set of 4.

All totaled......$1,024.

Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me. I won't tell your bride.;)

Like you said, "piece of mind". Priceless.

Peter, your tire shop riped you off, B I G time:

Then they charged you $317 for the Yoko's. Yoko's only cost $194 per tire retail. That's another $492 overcharged for a set of 4.

Don't worry, your secrets are safe with me. I won't tell your bride.;)

Like you said, "piece of mind". Priceless.
That is the cost in the U.S. Bill. Here they are listed at $292 on 1010tires.com, our equivalant to tirerack.
The price also included removal of the OEM, mounting the new tires and balancing.
No wifey to worry about. Just me and the 'little guy' (5yr old sheltie).
Besides, up here we are used to getting ripped off, eh!

Peter

That is the cost in the U.S. Bill. Here they are listed at $292 on 1010tires.com, our equivalant to tirerack.
The price also included removal of the OEM, mounting the new tires and balancing.
No wifey to worry about. Just me and the 'little guy' (5yr old sheltie).
Besides, up here we are used to getting ripped off, eh!

Peter

:thumbsup: We are very used to getting "ripped off".

Peter

Peter....I must be missing something......you stated three things in previous posts.....1) you only put on about 8,000 miles a year. 2) you are leasing your vehicle for a 4 year term and 3) you run snow tires in the winter....

Help me understand why you would take off the OEM tires and take a huge loss on them by putting more expensive tires on when they are likely only going to see 3,000 to 5,000 miles a season put on them??? The dealership is really going to benefit when you turn the vehicle in after the lease is up.
That really doesn't appear to be a very wise investment in my opinion. What am I missing here????:scratch:

Simply because he wanted to, and could afford to do so?

Peter....I must be missing something......you stated three things in previous posts.....1) you only put on about 8,000 miles a year. 2) you are leasing your vehicle for a 4 year term and 3) you run snow tires in the winter....

Help me understand why you would take off the OEM tires and take a huge loss on them by putting more expensive tires on when they are likely only going to see 3,000 to 5,000 miles a season put on them??? The dealership is really going to benefit when you turn the vehicle in after the lease is up.
That really doesn't appear to be a very wise investment in my opinion. What am I missing here????:scratch:
You are correct that from an investment viewpoint it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever done. When I got the Ex I was still driving to work and it was still Winter. The reviews on the OEM brand were not great for Winter driving and I usually left the house before many of the streets around get plowed so I wanted a tire with a bit more aggressive tread that would do for the unexpected snowfall without having to lay out another 2K for Winter wheels and tires. At that time the dealers could not yet even tell me if the 17" base model steel wheels would even work on the Limited. I was also only able to get the $80/tire for the OEM's provided they didn't have more than 100km on them so I pretty well had to make the swap the same day.
Would I do it again? I've thought about it a few times and I still don't really know. Perhaps not. What I do know is that I have a good set of tires with a better tread and it's a very quiet tire. Besides, I am still leaning toward buying it out at lease end if circumstances don't change. It wasn't a question of $$. I was getting a good gov't pension (RCMP), working 3 days a week at my old job plus drawing Canada Pension. Altogether, I was making more than when I was working full time.
My financial advisor told me to spend $$, so I am. If I was really a practical spender, I wouldn't have the Explorer Limited either for just me and the dog. An Escape would have filled the bill but it doesn't have all the fancy do-dads or the built in problems! ;)
Also, if it wasn't for moves like this, what else who we have to talk about now that the MFT is 100%.:D

Peter

Peter, they don't have price club or Costco up your way? The very last place I would buy tires is the tire rack or your Canadien equivalent. But you can't unrng the bell, what's done is done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter, they don't have price club or Costco up your way? The very last place I would buy tires is the tire rack or your Canadien equivalent. But you can't unrng the bell, what's done is done.
Yes, we have Costco but I'm not a member nor interested in being one. The store is also not handy to where I live. I'm in a small town about 30 miles outside of the city. I usually buy from a tire retailer in my area and have always had good service. I also don't do much running around trying to get the best price all the time. That is one reason I bought my ESP from the dealer. If I'm satisfied with the price of an item I'm looking for, I'll buy it. Also, as I mentioned, this tire retailer was the only one willing to give me anything for the Hankooks. I phoned around and no else one was willing to take them.

Peter

Back