Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
I have a 94 ford explorer (4x4).
want to put a 5.0l/302ci into it.
what all do I need? So far Ive figured I needed:
Full 5.0 engine (from mustang or f150)
tranny (which would fit/be the best)
There's a ranger/bronco v8 conversions online would they work?
3" body lift

Do I need to do anything to the drivelines? What about gears? Right now I have 3.27 stock gears pulling 33s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey did I tell you guys I was clarivouyant! Here ill show you... I sense........ A "search before you post" comment.

As for your question I have no idea what you'll need. After all I'm clarivouyant not a mechanic!

I have a 94 ford explorer (4x4).
want to put a 5.0l/302ci into it.
what all do I need? So far Ive figured I needed:
Full 5.0 engine (from mustang or f150)
tranny (which would fit/be the best)
There's a ranger/bronco v8 conversions online would they work?
3" body lift

Do I need to do anything to the drivelines? What about gears? Right now I have 3.27 stock gears pulling 33s.
I have the same question, but I see you were left high and dry,and only got a foolish reply that was completely un-called for...did you ever put the 302 in your explorer, I would like to do the same and keep the 4x4.. and as cheap as I can using as much of the explorer parts as possible. thanks to you or anyone who can "directly" asnswer this for me.

Not to be rude, but you'll never find the info in 1 thread. You best option is to search.
Search terms, 5.0 swap, V8 swap, V8 conversion, all will get you started. Your going to have to read through & spend the time.

I must have been feeling snippy that day.

Anyway, you will do a lot of research and click on that "302/4r70w" in my signiture.

ok thank you to the both of you for the help. I think I am going to drop a 2.9 and all of the drive train from a 1996 ranger I have in it because of the gas prices and to go all man. incl. transfercase if you have feed back on that it is welcome.

Bad idea. The X weights more. Any gas savings will be negated because of weight.

Is there not just a simple motor mount and bell house adapter to make this v8 swap easier and faster?

Seems to me whether its a 302 or 289 or small block in general, simple adapters should work, just where do you get them?

there was t thread i came across you can find it on here. the post was by the user chief34 I apologize if i have the wrong spelling. but he talks about using a ford 5.0 HO out of a mustang with a T5 world class 5 speed transmission. i understand the mustang is a 2 wheel drive but advansed adapters has what you need. in chief34's thread he has a well detailed trial and error also part numbers he used for what he did and his monster bomber came out great.

can always throw a 355 Chevy in it. ;)

2012-03-23_19-25-57_270.jpg

2012-03-23_19-50-21_151.jpg

Back