• Register Today It's free!

Daytime Running Lights

Hoof Hearted

Reaction score
City, State
Berkshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
My DRL's only come on with main beam. Is there a way i can change it by having them come on with ignition or with sidelights only?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm I have a 96 so no drl for me but autozone.com does have the wiring diagram:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...epairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802c54bb
Figure #39 shows your lights
Can't see DRL lamps in there ( only fog lights) but it looks like if you splice the brown positive wire from the parking lamp circuit to the positive wire of the drl bulb that should work. I would cut that wire at the drl and then splice in the parking lamp (sidelights as you called them) circuit so as not to back feed that wire.
Check with someone else on here before hacking into your wires though. Good luck

thanks for your help i'll give it a go sometime. I just don't get the idea of main beam plus DRL. Seems a bit overkill to me. I don't think they are fogs as you would not have the main beam, fog combo

whao up here..... me thinks you need to clarify your "language" a bit... especially since it would appear that perhaps you ain't in North America... maybe... berkshire is the hint.... :)

so then when you refer to DRL's are you referring to the "small lights" that "we" call "FOG lights" or are you referring to the "less than brights" which "we" use as DRL's... :)? Once we have the language and perhaps the country of origin defined, you likely get this sorted out.

Sorry to hear "you" can't understand what "we" call "English" So i'm afraid "you" probably won't be able to understand the "solution" either.
Maybe they should build some "schools" in your part of town.
Then maybe ya iz able to read an rite DUDE!

Ah, you are correct, I speak "North Americain"... :) which means our vehicles are quite different from you "blokes" now that we know for sure that you are referring to a non-north american vehicle so when you say "DRL's", it doesn't mean the same thing especially when you originally didn't identify your country of origin on the post or profile... which could have been electrical trouble... maybe.

Hi, I came across this thread by accident, love fun you guys having here, BTW Hoof Hearted I’m going to crack this thing this weekend, as I do love my EX’s fog lights coming on when I’d like them to not only with high beams, which isn’t good in my opinion, plan is to use fog light switch as a switch to do front fog lights (instead rear one as it works on my EX) and have an additional switch for a rear ones. I’ve done BWM, so have a new switch in an ashtray, will do new one next to it.
As for North Americans, it’s good I have watched Pocahontas, which my kids love, thanks to one I have been able to understand you ;P

Sounds like a plan. Let me know how you got on and how you did it.

Is THAT legal in UK? To modify your car lights?
If your politicians decided that you are so... blind that you need DRL (enforced by law), I bet they are not happy to see you fiddling with those lights.

DRL are a proven safety feature, whether you like them or not

Proven? Can you show me some independent studies or you just regurgitate what your comunist government tells you?
How is that safer than automatic lights at night time?
Because if you cannot see a car in bright daylight and you need the extra lights on, you shouldn't drive...

Proven? Can you show me some independent studies or you just regurgitate what your comunist government tells you?
Because if you cannot see a car in bright daylight and you need the extra lights on, you shouldn't drive...

Fwiw inclement weather such as heavy rain or snow doesn't necessarily mean it is dark out and two bright lights on the front of your vehicle can make you significantly more visible during such conditions. Sure, you should have all your lights on during these conditions but not everyone remembers to turn them on (Or is intelligent enough to do so)

I've seen a lot of people modify their trucks so the fog lights come on with high beams so you don't end up with the blind spot directly in front of the vehicle with the high beams on. Usually fog lights are factory wired to turn off when the high beams are on (Since you shouldn't have high beams on when it's foggy) Just preference /end highjack

The Insurance Industry in Canada (Private Companies) compiled safety date from many other countries and the results were convincing beyond any statistical significance.

BTW, you spelled Communist wrong....Bad school system???

Fwiw inclement weather such as heavy rain or snow doesn't necessarily mean it is dark out and two bright lights on the front of your vehicle can make you significantly more visible during such conditions. Sure, you should have all your lights on during these conditions but not everyone remembers to turn them on (Or is intelligent enough to do so)
LEGALLY you have to use lights in inclement weather. Law should punish the ones that don't play by rules, not punish everyone just as preventative measure.
You had a guy, Orwell that spoke about things like that. Soon we won't be allowed to drive our own cars because some guys get into crashes.
And also the LEGALITY of changing the light system on your cars made me post here too. The same law that some people seem to defend only when is convenient.
Anyone who saw the latest Audi fancy LED's know that DRL is just not working. It's just a bling-bling on cars that can afford it and an annoyance for every body else.

The Insurance Industry in Canada (Private Companies) compiled safety date from many other countries and the results were convincing beyond any statistical significance.
BTW, you spelled Communist wrong....Bad school system???
Yeah, a communist school system. They used just one "m", but they teached about straw man. And I know more than I want about "studies" made by order. Insurance co will produce whatever makes them money (or avoid claims).

LEGALLY you have to use lights in inclement weather.

As far as I remember, it is state-by-state for that law. I know NY had it, but some others didn't.

I hate the look of daytime running lights, but I would be all for lights triggered on whenever the whippers are used for more than 25 or so seconds. From what I've seen over the years, dumb people are always going to be dumb.

What I hate even more is this new use of the reverse lights as "area lighting" whenever a car parks. Now I can't tell if someone is actually trying to reverse in a parking lot or they just got out of their car a minute ago. It's like deciding that the pedestrian walk signs should just be big green or red circles; no confusing could possibly happen there.

Reading thru your posts.... THink it was a good laugh so I thought i'd join in..... To the "pommies" still mad you lost the war of independence....? :p And Yeah Im still upset you sent my Great great grand daddy out here to australia on the convict boats..... Just for stealing a bread stick... haha... I have to be nice to the "yanks" its you guys that keep china off my case... lol... and not to mention you built the mighty Explorer
.. :)
Thanks for the wiring diagram. My 99 Explorer has Fog lights, Side lights ( we call them Parking lights here ) But would love to put on some Day lights aswell... Great Forum everyone. I didnt realise I could change my timing chain tensioners without pulling motor until I seen it on here.. THanks AGAIN everyone...

got a question to you all, can we create a light dictionary, here is a second gen explorer, how do you call highlighted lights?

explorer.jpg

BTW in most of Europe you have to drive on a Low Beams 24/7 during winter and in some parts 24/7 - 365 days a year, I'm not a fan of it, but hey, rules are the rules, also I've read that there is an community (in UK at least) which is strongly against using front FOG LIGHTS (as we call them - highlighted above) as they say using ones during day may distract other users and cause accident, I'm wondering what will be their opinion about using low beams 24/7 and 365 days a year, UK will be covered in scrap metal as of extensive amount of accident caused ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm I have a 96 so no drl for me but autozone.com does have the wiring diagram:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...epairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f802c54bb
Figure #39 shows your lights
Can't see DRL lamps in there ( only fog lights) but it looks like if you splice the brown positive wire from the parking lamp circuit to the positive wire of the drl bulb that should work. I would cut that wire at the drl and then splice in the parking lamp (sidelights as you called them) circuit so as not to back feed that wire.
Check with someone else on here before hacking into your wires though. Good luck
SoNic67, as a retired truck driver, I for one can tell you that daytime running lights do make a difference, whether a person is too blind to drive or not. Here in Arizona where the sun is bright, some vehicles blend in with the roadway, making them difficult to see, especially at sunrise and sunset. Case in point? My 96, which is medium graphite metallic. I replaced the inop fog lights with aftermarket fogs wired with a seperate switch, used as DRL's. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!

Back