New High Performance Explorer??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New High Performance Explorer???

I prefer cassette with push button favorites programming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The size of the tank is likely limited by the new unibody construction. It is about the same size as what I had in the Highlander.
Also, the EXplorer was built with getting better fuel mileage in mind. A bigger tank=more weight and less mpg.

Peter
Other unibody's with bigger tanks. Bigger tank would make no difference on performance or mpg, a gallon of gas weighs only about 6 lb's, they could give it a couple more more gallons and wouldn't make a difference. The smaller Edge has about a 19 gallon tank, even the X5 Xdrive35i has almost 23 gallons... and yet it get's better mileage in the real world vs the V6 Ex even though it's way heavier and way more powerful and faster course cudo's to the 8 speed auto for that. Plus my neighbors tuned Xdrive35i is even faster now yet still same great mileage. Just would be nice to have at least 2 extra gallons for longer distance on the highway... or city lol.

They have some great lease deals on the X5 and the new iDrive is so much better than before and so easily modded, but I may check out the Ex again if it has the Eco-Boost option as that was my major complaint being lack of power (which I know difference classes obviously the Ex isn't meant to be sporty like the X5 but would be nice to have more power).

The Flex with the Eco-Boost felt so effortless even if loaded up with people and cargo etc. And custom tunes are available for it, though Ford is way more iffy if any issues arise vs BMW and the turbo 6 line when tuned.

Pretty sure it will be the Eco-Boost 6 though, another clue besides the speedo, the snippit showing the grill looks the same as the new grille on the freshened Sho for 13'.

Other unibody's with bigger tanks. Bigger tank would make no difference on performance or mpg, a gallon of gas weighs only about 6 lb's,The Flex with the Eco-Boost felt so effortless even if loaded up with people and cargo etc. And custom tunes are available for it, though Ford is way more iffy if any issues arise vs BMW and the turbo 6 line when tuned.

Pretty sure it will be the Eco-Boost 6 though, another clue besides the speedo, the snippit showing the grill looks the same as the new grille on the freshened Sho for 13'.
Don't forget though that our gallon has 20% more volume.;)
I haven't crawled under the Ex so I don't know if the frame does limit the tank size. It is just a guess. For the amount of driving I do now, the size is good considering I only fill up about once every 4 - 6 weeks. Granted, it wouldn't hurt to have a few gallons.

Peter

Don't forget though that our gallon has 20% more volume.;)

Peter

Don't forget your tank has 20% fewer gallons than gas tank in US.;), therefore no impact on range.

But let us know what you see under the Explorer when you get a chance.:)

Don't forget your tank has 20% fewer gallons than gas tank in US.;), therefore no impact on range.

But let us know what you see under the Explorer when you get a chance.:)
You're right. Forgot about that. Our tank is 70.4 litres or 15.5 Imp. gallons. That would equal your 18.6 gallon tank.
Taking it in this Thursday for the MFT update and to have the OEM wheels put back on but customers are not allowed in the garage area so I don't think I'll get a look underneath. We'll see. Or maybe not.;)

Peter

well i personally hope it's nothing too great because then i'd be pissed that i didn't wait..haha...what i DO hope, is that it has interchangable apperance parts... grill, bumpers, wheels, lower suspension, etc.....

I always tell myself never to buy first year of a new model, due to problems and limited options. But of course I did it again. Aside from all the other issues, the biggest one with this Explorer is the lack of power. They should have had the 3.5 EB from the get go.
At the time I needed a new vehicle as my 1997 Explorer was falling apart, plus there isn't a better looking SUV on the market. I have no regrets in ordering an early build MY11, but if the announcement tomorrow is an EB Explorer I am going to seriously consider trading in the 2011.

i always tell myself never to buy first year of a new model, due to problems and limited options. But of course i did it again. Aside from all the other issues, the biggest one with this explorer is the lack of power. They should have had the 3.5 eb from the get go.
At the time i needed a new vehicle as my 1997 explorer was falling apart, plus there isn't a better looking suv on the market. I have no regrets in ordering an early build my11, but if the announcement tomorrow is an eb explorer i am going to seriously consider trading in the 2011.

+1 100%

I always tell myself never to buy first year of a new model, due to problems and limited options. But of course I did it again. Aside from all the other issues, the biggest one with this Explorer is the lack of power. They should have had the 3.5 EB from the get go.
At the time I needed a new vehicle as my 1997 Explorer was falling apart, plus there isn't a better looking SUV on the market. I have no regrets in ordering an early build MY11, but if the announcement tomorrow is an EB Explorer I am going to seriously consider trading in the 2011.

Hehe, so what you are saying is that Ford executed these roll-outs perfectly :D

Hit you the first time, give you a crappy trade-in, and hit ya a second time for the vehicle that you wanted all along... Perfect market execution.

Personally, if they offered the 3.5EB in RWD, it would be on our shopping list for when the time comes for us to take the plunge.

Hehe, so what you are saying is that Ford executed these roll-outs perfectly :D

Hit you the first time, give you a crappy trade-in, and hit ya a second time for the vehicle that you wanted all along... Perfect market execution.

Personally, if they offered the 3.5EB in RWD, it would be on our shopping list for when the time comes for us to take the plunge.

Just to preface, this is purely my opinion and I could be completely wrong.

I'm sure when they were designing the new Ex they wanted to stuff every option into it, but due to time constraints and keep costs from getting to high they don't. Once it's released to market, Ford can now focus on fixing problems that pop up (A-Pillar,streaky windows, rain noise on roof) right on the assembly line. From there they can start adding the rest of the options they wanted and others from feedback from early Explorer adapters.

I got a great deal with mine, tons of rebates and incentives along with ZAG pricing. In 3 days my 2011 will turn 1. That's right 1, on 3/31/2011 my Ex rolled off the line. The problem is that my car is 2 model years behind. So that's why I am going to get a crappy trade in. All of this is on me, no one forced me to buy this Explorer and I am happy that I did.

I have been lucky so far and haven't experienced the number of problems that others have has with their 2011. So, if it doesn't make financial sense to trade in for 2013 EB mode I won't. Worst case is I keep mine, which is a pretty good thing if you ask me.

New High Performance Model

Explorer SHO????

Explorer-SHO2.jpg

That pic is from way back from Feb 2011.

But non-old pics are around of a certain SUV/CUV driving around Detroit, say, on Outer Drive... :D

Awesome!!!!

Do want!!!!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why did they lower HP from 365 to 350? They say it competes with the Hemi in Grand Cherokee and Durango but they intentionally offer it with less power? WTF? Also, no increase in towing capacity. A bit of a disappointment.

Back