New High Performance Explorer??? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New High Performance Explorer???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah... I found a site that said it would be higher than limited...

I agree- The Edge Sport looks a lot better. This thing looks like someone went nuts with a black rattle can, and stuck the letters on the hood per the hood lettering thread / SEMA pics. Oh- and the EcoV6 and performance upgrades. But the exterior of the truck just doesn't do it for me, looks too weekend garage-ish.

Agreed. And just what we need on the Explorer - more piano black shiny plastic (on the grill - looked shiny to me anyway) to get scratched all to hell like all the pillars.

I think the black Explorer logo in back looks like s*it as well. I actually can't really tell much of a difference in the interior either, other than silver trim as opposed to the woodgrain of the limited and the illuminated sill plate (which is cool).

I like the engine, but really probably wouldn't buy this had I the choice today - assuming its going to be priced north of the limited, it's going to be one pricey car - plus the decreased gas mileage isn't really very good with fuel prices going up.

I find the performance of my Explorer fairly good. It doesn't have a lot of low range tourque, but in the mid ranges it has some good pickup. The gas peddle is a bit mushy but once you learn how to put your foot down the transmisison responds - downshifts, and revs up the engine nicely delivering all the power I need.

I used to have some decent torque steer, but now that my steering angle sensor has been replaced I barely notice it.

This is a 6/7 passenger SUV people, not a drag racer. If you want serious get up and go, seriously get up and go buy a Mustang.

Okay, so who can find the part number for the illuminated sill plates first?
Vince, I saw this option on display at my dealer last Spring but wasn't looking to buy them. I wasn't able to get a part number off the Ford parts site when I looked later. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the upgrade and to have my Winter wheels taken off. I'll see if the sill plate is still on display and try to get a number.

Peter

nothing but a bunch of whining biatches on this board. All you guys were begging for a 3.5 eco....well here it is...and a lot of complaining...
+1:thumbsup:
There is just no pleasing some people.

Peter

I used to have some decent torque steer, but now that my steering angle sensor has been replaced I barely notice it.

Was that steering angle sensor part of a TSB?

Vince, I saw this option on display at my dealer last Spring but wasn't looking to buy them. I wasn't able to get a part number off the Ford parts site when I looked later. I'm taking mine in tomorrow for the upgrade and to have my Winter wheels taken off. I'll see if the sill plate is still on display and try to get a number.

Peter

Ahhh, that's right, I forgot about that :) Thanks for the reminder. Well at least we now know they exist. That would be a nice little upgrade.

+1:thumbsup:
There is just no pleasing some people.

Peter

Well, times may change as Joe Dirt said, but what you said Peter will always stay the same! :D

Was that steering angle sensor part of a TSB?

No. It was causing all kinds of issues with my advance track and terrain management system. I was getting errors for these items and my dealer diagnosed it as a faulty steering angle sensor. Before the fix I was getting more torque steer than I have been having since. Of course, it could be my imagination though! :)

-J

Yeah... I found a site that said it would be higher than limited...

agreed. this from motortrend.com

"Ford notes the 2013 Explorer Sport will serve as the “top of the Explorer line,” but isn’t ready to disclose pricing until the model goes on sale later this year. Regardless, expect it to carry a decent premium over a comparable 2013 Explorer Limited AWD, which stickers for $43,280 (including $825 in destination fees).

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-ford...w-look-ecoboost-v-6-184349.html#ixzz1qS7CdJnF "

I agree- The Edge Sport looks a lot better. This thing looks like someone went nuts with a black rattle can, and stuck the letters on the hood per the hood lettering thread / SEMA pics. Oh- and the EcoV6 and performance upgrades. But the exterior of the truck just doesn't do it for me, looks too weekend garage-ish.

I third that motion, Edge Sport looks better for sure.

I think it is a nice option but priced north of the Limited is jus crazy, it shud be priced a little lower than the Limited. But i still like the few subtle changes, I jus ordered the 2013 Ex Limited 3/26, the only thing I wud change is the rims. I like the Sport rims they r offering that's it.......I want to c them on a Limited......

I'm new to this forum, so hi all.

I watched the roll out of the sport and I wonder if the price tag is worth it for the sport.

Granted I am looking to get my first Ford and it will be an Explorer(i will get it when we get the money from a house we sold. Proubly mid april.) but the sport just does not seem appealing at the rumored price tag.

Other option levels seem to be very good values when compaired to other manufacturers.

For me, it is the XLT level with the regular v6.

Now I did like the color combo trim they used and the rims.

Well I will see what Mr. Ford has for me in the coming weeks.:D

I like the new EX Sport twinturbo w/350HP. 16/23 ratings are about what's expected and not too big of a hit in MPG. This Sport is not intended to go after JGC Hemi (a low volume seller), and the gas mileage is a lot better than HEMI.

Actually wrong on both! Hemi is at least 1/3 of Jeep sales (especially on the overland and summit models) and it easily gets over 20 mpg hwy! It also is rated at 7200lbs towing. That and the 25 gal fuel tank give it longer range.

The low volume unit is the SRT which has over 400 hp....

Ex has a lot going for it so no need to fudge the numbers....
:salute:

As much as people say 22" wheels would make it slow, i wish those wheels WERE 22's since the edge sport got 22s. This will make the explorer having 3 different 20" wheel options... Oh well... Also wonder why they kept chrome door handles but blacked everything else out...they could of just grabbed the handles from the base model..no extra cost for them.

I'm new to this forum, so hi all.

I watched the roll out of the sport and I wonder if the price tag is worth it for the sport.

Granted I am looking to get my first Ford and it will be an Explorer(i will get it when we get the money from a house we sold. Proubly mid april.) but the sport just does not seem appealing at the rumored price tag.

Other option levels seem to be very good values when compaired to other manufacturers.

For me, it is the XLT level with the regular v6.

Now I did like the color combo trim they used and the rims.

Well I will see what Mr. Ford has for me in the coming weeks.:D
Welcome to the Forum Kjeffery.:wavey: It's always nice to see new people coming on board. Happy hunting.:)

Peter

I saw Explorer ones on display at my dealer last Spring. I'm going in tomorrow and I'll check.

Peter

PeterK, when checking on the sill plates could also ask about installation? The Ford site says the illuminated plates should be dealer installed, which I would probably do since getting power to them might be a pain. But if labor costs doubles the project, eh..... Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of black out trim, but forgot the most important...the door handles!!! :eek:

Back