Thule Atlantis 1800 Cargo box(pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thule Atlantis 1800 Cargo box(pictures)

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Well, 1 picture so far. I posted a pic of the load bars I put on there a few days ago. So, here is the box. Fit is great, could have even gone to the bigger one easily. As you can notice, I swapped the stock antenna for a stubby one that looks a lot better

20120328_143500.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the antenna picture.

20120328_152048.jpg

very nice setup!!

Here is the antenna picture.

20120328_152048.jpg

Tell me about your GPS/radio/Satellite Radio reception with the stubby antenna. How about the reception with the box over it?

I am considering getting on of these so my yakima box can be just a little further back and streamlined with the truck, but I read some posts that said the reception wasn't as good without a box. Although I think the signals will go through the box ok, I'm not so sure about the box when it is packed full.

Tell me about your GPS/radio/Satellite Radio reception with the stubby antenna. How about the reception with the box over it?

I am considering getting on of these so my yakima box can be just a little further back and streamlined with the truck, but I read some posts that said the reception wasn't as good without a box. Although I think the signals will go through the box ok, I'm not so sure about the box when it is packed full.

Radio reception was fine with the stubby antenna. I don't have Sirius, so I can't comment on that. GPS doesn't use that antenna, so its not affected.

Haven't tested it since I put the box on, however.

Nice looking combo

Here is mine with the 2100 Thules, the next size up from the Atlantis 1800

21869911.jpg

That looks great also, I havent decided what color, I have the white also spitfisher on my ex ltd

Here is mine with the 2100 Thules, the next size up from the Atlantis 1800

21869911.jpg

I used your picture from a while ago to determine that I wanted to get the 1800.

I didn't notice it when I took delivery of it, but it's got some scratches on the side of it. I think the silver one would be less noticeable than black.

Does your box rattle like crazy? Mine makes aa ton of sound over bumps, and there is a big clunk every time I come to a stop. I'm a little disappointed so far. Will be calling Thule Tuesday and see what the recommended.

I think the clunk is the hinge, but the rattle is the two halves bouncing against each other.

I have the Yakima Box on mine (thread:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342502&highlight=yakima)

and it is never really loud, but in my experience I hear more noise when it is empty than loaded up. It moves more from the wind, clunks more over a bump, etc. It is basically a big drum empty. You might try some weather tape around the edge to keep the halves from clanging together, it might change how well it vents moisture in/out though.

Took a video of it and sent it to the place that I bought it from, and they said it doesn't look normal. So I have a call in now to Thule to see what they think. I hope I can get it resolved, as I'm not too happy right now with how it sounds.

Here is the video, it's a big file.
http://dropbox.com/sh/g8hs9r2vz916owl/VcDnCdnSpu/20120404_092432.mp4

i know it says 18 cubic feet, but how much room is that realistically? like can it fit luggage, or just smaller stuff? just curious cause dont travel much but do go to florida (1,100 miles) maybe once a year. It would come in handy for those trips but can't justify 6-800 dollars for once in a while use...

i know it says 18 cubic feet, but how much room is that realistically? like can it fit luggage, or just smaller stuff? just curious cause dont travel much but do go to florida (1,100 miles) maybe once a year. It would come in handy for those trips but can't justify 6-800 dollars for once in a while use...

$540 shipped is what I paid. Waiting on hearing back from Thule, they might end up replacing the box. Other than that, it fits quite a bit. I plan on buying large duffle bags for clothing and other gear.

It fits a full size stroller with ease and plenty of more space.

20120402_160320.jpg

wow, great pic harley!!! that helps out a lot. where did you order it from for 540 shipped if you don't mind telling?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sorry, one more stupid question. I've never owned anything like this and was just wondering if there were any speed ratings/limits on these things??? i looked on their page but couldn't find anything. Is it ok for higher speeds (80-90)??? i don't want to find out the hard way when i see it flying behind me at other vehicles like i did last year with a sheet of snow!!!!

Back