Here's my wind noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here's my wind noise

cnsheets

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explemoner
Tried to do a video to show the noise i am experiencing while driving above 40+ mph. Dealer acknowledges the noise but not sure of a fix.....this is AFTER having the a-pillar TSB fix done.

http://youtu.be/xb5T9Dhp6RA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried to do a video to show the noise i am experiencing while driving above 40+ mph. Dealer acknowledges the noise but not sure of a fix.....this is AFTER having the a-pillar TSB fix done.

http://youtu.be/xb5T9Dhp6RA
If that noise wasn't there prior to getting the 'A' pillars fixed I think that would be a good place to start.
It almost sound like a wind buffeting effect which I think would eliminate a windshield air leak.
Have you tried to putting some kind of tape over the open parts between the windshield and the pillar and trying it again? It seems like it is up to you to try and pinpoint the problem.

Peter

The fix they did on mine AFTER the tsb, was applying silicone sealant behind the A pillars . It helped, but there is still some wind noise. Im still deciding if i want to just deal with it or make a fourth attempt at fixing it

When I read the title of this thread, I half expected it to be a recording of a fart! :D

I had my wind noise fixed 3 times, this last time seems to have worked. They replaced all of the window seals AGAIN....

Dealership just called. They said that ford emailed their tech back and said for the tech to drive a few other my11's they have on the lot and see if it's an inherent issue with the model. Sounds like they are going to try and push this off as a "normal" characteristic of the model. Sounds like BS to me.

Dealership just called. They said that ford emailed their tech back and said for the tech to drive a few other my11's they have on the lot and see if it's an inherent issue with the model. Sounds like they are going to try and push this off as a "normal" characteristic of the model. Sounds like BS to me.
If they say it is an inherent or normal characteristic of the model, then ask them to explain why doesn't every one with a 2011 have the problem. I don't.
The EX is being advertised as having a very quiet interior. It sure doesn't sound like yours is. Have them explain that also.
Good luck.

Peter

If they say it is an inherent or normal characteristic of the model, then ask them to explain why doesn't every one with a 2011 have the problem. I don't.
The EX is being advertised as having a very quiet interior. It sure doesn't sound like yours is. Have them explain that also.
Good luck.

Peter

What Peter said. I seem to recall a member inserting his own foam underneath the rubber gasket down at the bottom part of the window - basically there is a gap there. For the life of me though I cannot find the post.

Good luck man! :)

I watched the video, are all the windows & sunroof closed? And is the wind noise all around you or does it seem to be coming from the roof area? I'll be it in my X today I figured I wold check it out

All windows were closed. No sunroof. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Sometimes it sounds like the windshield area, other times the doors. It's just driving me buggy.

hi cnsheets! I too had the A-Pillar issue(on pass. side)and the dealer fixed it then a week later noise came back .My dealer was not able to hear it so I went exploring to find the noise and finially found it to be the front plastic piece on the pass. side roof bar. I was able to wedge a small piece of plastic into it and it stopped rattling!!!

Ok, So I am taking the EX into the dealership in the morning for the rain roof noise TSB. Going to have them look at my windnoise again....

Today, I taped the rear doors to see what effect it had on my noise. Yes I know there are 3 layers of seals, but it sounds like I am getting leaks. So here pictures of the tape....I tried to us somewhat matching colored tape so I did not draw too much attention driving down the freeway..... Lastely, below the pictures is another video i took WITH the doors taped..... thoughts????

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

http://youtu.be/W4-9Yvz5sZw

Said to say the three layers of seals do not seal as well.

After a rain, open your doors to get a cup of water on you shoes.

I had a brand new 2013 and had the same noise. I took to the dealer 3-4 times. They replaced the windshield, both a frame guts and still there. The next day my nav totally locked up. The service manager was great but simply could not fix the problem. He told me he drove all the other 2013's and they all had the same problem...you would think FORD would stop selling until it is resolved. So, after 3 months and no solution I simply traded for another car. Oh, and I tried the lemon law but no luck! No more Ford's for me.

last and final update

After numerous attempts to fix....new windshield, new a frames on both sides, silicone etc Ford could still not get it fixed. The NAV locked up on me on the way to a meeting and even stayed on once the car was turned off. I traded that day and will not be purchasing another Ford!!!! The dealer even told me he tested all 5 on his lot and 4 out of the 5 had the problem. The issue I have is that they are still selling them and not telling anyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After numerous attempts to fix....new windshield, new a frames on both sides, silicone etc Ford could still not get it fixed. The NAV locked up on me on the way to a meeting and even stayed on once the car was turned off. I traded that day and will not be purchasing another Ford!!!! The dealer even told me he tested all 5 on his lot and 4 out of the 5 had the problem. The issue I have is that they are still selling them and not telling anyone.
I'll bet that no one looked at the windshield cowl as a possible culprit for the noise. I couple of members mentioned that what they thought was 'A' pillar noise was actually the cowl that runs the length of the windshield bottom. Once that was replaced the noise was gone.

Peter

Back