Doors Continuously Locking...? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doors Continuously Locking...?

brianjwilson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger, 05 Sport Trac
Help me out with a friends 96 explorer if you could!
I came over last night and heard the doors locking over and over, about once per second. When my friend tried to leave this morning the battery was dead. Knowing that the battery was already weak, I though maybe a dying battery set something off anyway. I unlocked the car, put the key in the ignition, popped the hood, then I pulled my truck up and hooked up the jumper cables. Immediately the doors started locking again and the keys were locked up. The keypad on the door wouldn't work as something was causing them to keep locking. I was able to pry the rear window and hold the unlock button, and eventually one of the locks popped up.

So I can get in and start the car now but the doors won't stop trying to lock. There is a small amount of water leaking from the left rear window but I don't see corrosion or any standing water, just a few drops. I looked at the use locations and the door lock fuse is shared with the power windows and seats. Worst case I can pull that fuse and she can drive home, but I'd like to either trace the problem or figure out a way to disable the power doors locks without disabling the windows.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the rap module is defective. There are relays that are used to lock the doors and unlock the doors. In the owners manual there should be a relay diagram to identify them. Try pulling the lock relays. The rap module is located behind the left rear interior panel, above the wheel. Try pulling the connector off the module and see if it fixes the problem. Maybe someone who has experience with the 1996 models can give you more specific info.

I unplugged the module earlier (both connectors) and they kept locking. I plugged them back in and set the arm off. Lol
I ended up pulling a 30 amp fuse disabling the windows, doors and seats temporarily. None of the relays in the manual were for locks only, at least that I could tell. I have an explorer Haynes manual but it's across the country at work with my 94 exploder. ..

The lock relays on my 98 expy are in the compartment where the jack is - behind the left rear interior panel. Perhaps yours are in the same place?

Hmm, I'll poke around in there if I get a chance in the morning. Thanks!

I just found the relay box (auxiliary relay box #4) it is behind the left rear interior panel above the wheel well. The schematic shows three relays with the center one being the all lock relay. The other two are the drivers door unlock relay and the all unlock relay.

Help me out with a friends 96 explorer if you could!
I came over last night and heard the doors locking over and over, about once per second. When my friend tried to leave this morning the battery was dead. Knowing that the battery was already weak, I though maybe a dying battery set something off anyway. I unlocked the car, put the key in the ignition, popped the hood, then I pulled my truck up and hooked up the jumper cables. Immediately the doors started locking again and the keys were locked up. The keypad on the door wouldn't work as something was causing them to keep locking. I was able to pry the rear window and hold the unlock button, and eventually one of the locks popped up.

So I can get in and start the car now but the doors won't stop trying to lock. There is a small amount of water leaking from the left rear window but I don't see corrosion or any standing water, just a few drops. I looked at the use locations and the door lock fuse is shared with the power windows and seats. Worst case I can pull that fuse and she can drive home, but I'd like to either trace the problem or figure out a way to disable the power doors locks without disabling the windows.

Any ideas?
I had a similiar problem about a year ago with my 96 XLT. Seems it was a low voltage problem. Cleaned the battery cables, charged the battery, no problem since.

Well I didn't get a chance to look at it unfortunately. She had to leave for school so I'll have to look at it next time. My first thought was that it started due to the weak battery but it continued after jumping the truck and running mine with the cables still attached. I didn't have a multi-meter with me.
Next time I see her I'll either throw a new battery in and see what happens, or if all else fails I'll reinstall the fuse and pull the lock relays out. Thanks for looking that up for me scucci!

i am having the same problem with my 01. when i bought the truck it came with this problem. One of the plugs in the RAPS , the one on the right i believe is pulled out and the locks work (except my passenger front) but the alarm and keypad dont work. I dont know i am missing the actuator on my passenger front door i noticed also.. I kind of gave up on it since its driving me crazy. Hopefully that will fix it for you but you wont have the alarm and you will be in the same boat as me.

Back