• Register Today It's free!

Looking for serious advice

Shame

Reaction score
City, State
Kingston, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mounty 5.0 AWD
So Ive looked through countless posts on here referring to front end vibrations, and haven't really found the answer to my issue as of yet.

SO... I have a 2000 Explorer XLT AWD with the 4.0 OHV engine. A few months ago I started having a front end vibration under acceleration only. Since then the vibration has changed. For a while it was only while coasting at highway speeds, and now Its only while coasting, but at ANY speed. I replaced a bad CV axle on the passenger side, and the drivers side is still good. I also replaced the upper ball joint/upper control arm on the Pass side. That definitely dampened the vibration but did not make it go away by any means. Have checked the universals and the CV type joint on the front drive shaft and both are good. Have removed the front drive shaft and found no difference. Lower ball joints and tie rod ends seem fine. Don't see any missing weights on wheels or drive shafts.

Im officially STUMPED. Any help would be more than appreciated as this has been driving me absolutely insane.:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I lied... The vibration can be felt now both on AND off the throttle...

Is your vehicle a 4WD or AWD? It can't be a 4.0 AWD.

I would recommend you try rotating the tires front to back as might be a tire problem. Is there any noise?

If Im lyin Im dyin but it IS in FACT a 100% stock and un-modified ALL wheel drive 4.0. I know its strange cuz every time I look up parts for it, I cant find it in anyones parts catalog.

As for the tires, I would do that but just yesterday I got 4 brand new tires installed and the problem hasnt changed.

Maybe someone else will chime in but I don't think ford made a 4.0 AWD.

Thats it! Youve fixed my problem! I drive a vehicle that doesnt exist! LOL Im just messin around... I promise you ford DID make at least one and I own it. Hey, if its that much of a freak thing, maybe I can get some money out of it... haha!

Either way though... Got any advice on my original question?

You have a common problem. All we can do is make recommendations:

What I did:
Replace all the ball joints including the upper control arms.
Replace the wheel bearings
Replace both front CV axles
Replace the driveshaft(s)
Replace the tires
Replace the wheels (They get bent easily, and not all shops can tell you how much they are bent. It takes a GOOD shop to measure this)
Replace the rotors.
Replace the shocks.
Replace the sway bar bushings.
Replace the outer tie rod ends.
Replace the steering rack ends.

Even then, I have seen problems like this caused by a bad front differential.

It is a difficult problem to repair.

Sorry.

Replace the truck. Got it. lol! Thanks though I appreciate the advice...

Amazingly, you can find most of these parts very very cheap. The drive shaft is expensive. You can swap out the wheels and tires with another vehicle temporarily.

Considering that the vehicle is almost 12 years old, and it is a heavy Utility vehicle, it isn't unexpected or unusual.

Back