Think Twice - Close to having a Lemon | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Think Twice - Close to having a Lemon

Ott23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
2011 Limited - Not even a year old and it has been in the shop for over 17 days for repairs.

1 - Rear bumper loose. Missing manufacturing clips
2 - Navigation didn't work (1st time) - Replaced Card
3 - Navigation still didn't work (2nd time) - replaced Hub
4 - Water Leak in cabin (1st time) - One week in the shop - Dealer couldn't find leak.
5 - Water Leak in cabin - (2nd Time) - Oh Yeah there it is - Another week in shop - broken seal. They say its fixed.
6 - Loose Trim Panels on A,B & C pillars - Dealer stated that's normal - Really???
7 - Back Up Camera doesn't work (intermittent)- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
8 - Phone doesn't Sync anymore- Need to wait for MFT upgrade
9 - Just received the MFT upgrade - very simple instructions. Turn vehicle on, Turn Audio on, insert USB upgrade, follow instructions - takes about 1 hour. 4 hours into the upgrade the installation was stuck on "installing 3 of 15". I couldn't leave it running all night so I was forced to shut it off. Turned the vehicle back on in the morining and nothing was working - The whole center stack was completely blank. Nothing would turn on. Back to the Dealer. Dealer gave a loner because they can't figure it out.

My wife's Acura MDX is 8 years old and it's only been in the shop for scheduled maintainence and normal wear. If you're going to spend $45K plus, you should expect quality....We have it with the MDX.

Can someone at Ford please tell me why I should think about buying another Ford vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6 - Loose Trim Panels on A,B & C pillars - Dealer stated that's normal - Really???

I had this problem as well. I thought that perhaps it was just a loose clip, but it wasn't. Dealer said the panels we "warped" during manufacture. They replaced the panels under warranty. New panels are very tight.

I did not buy a 2011 because of my fear of first model year teething pains (many I read about on this forum). And although my 2012 Ex does not have all of the problems listed hear, I was surprized that it still did have problems like the A pillar buzz, transmission bang, and crappy OEM tires which apparently can't be balanced.

I did not buy a 2011 because of my fear of first model year teething pains......... and crappy OEM tires which apparently can't be balanced.
I have had very few problems with my 2011.
If your tires can't be balanced they should be replaced under the tire warranty. I didn't notice any problems with mine, vibration wise. I only had them on for about 45 minutes though. That's how long it took to drive from the dealer to the tire shop to get them replaced.

Peter

Ott23- Yes mine has been in the shop 29 days since July 31st purchase date...one more day and it qualifies for LEMON in CA. I have also had the sync repaired 5 times...so I have opened my case with BBB because Ford customer service is unwilling to buy it back.

Apparently FORD said that sync malfunctioning or being inoperable doesnt count as "substantial defect" and Lemon doesnt apply...

Ott23- Yes mine has been in the shop 29 days since July 31st purchase date...one more day and it qualifies for LEMON in CA. I have also had the sync repaired 5 times...so I have opened my case with BBB because Ford customer service is unwilling to buy it back.
Mine has been in the shop 22 days

I have had very few problems with my 2011.
If your tires can't be balanced they should be replaced under the tire warranty. I didn't notice any problems with mine, vibration wise. I only had them on for about 45 minutes though. That's how long it took to drive from the dealer to the tire shop to get them replaced.

Peter

I agree completely but Ford does not. They did replace one of the original tires as out of spec. Two others were in spec, and the third was marginally in spec so they wouldn't replace it. And I still have a shimmey between 60-70 which apparently could not be corrected by a their road force tire balance.

Back