Replaced Front ARB Bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced Front ARB Bushings

ihpj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 UK SOHC Explorer
Given the sun was shining and I had decided to wash the Ex. I felt I wanted to do more (as there were other jobs I wanted to avoid :p) i decided to tackle replacing the front ARB Bushings.

Took me about 45 minutes all in and I'm very happy that it's done. I took a number of pictures that I will upload shortly; but this is what I did:

1. WD40 on the 13mm bolts and they came undone very easily.
2. Cleaned the brackets with fine emery paper and spent some time cleaning the ARB itself - nothing fancy just a quick rubdown.
3. Used a finger of fresh engine oil to lube the interior of the new bushings before fitting them onto the ARB.
4. Removed surface rust on the bracket and examined them for damage - thankfully all intact.
5. Used finger of said engine oil to lube the interior of the bracket before refitting.
6. Gave the bolts themselves (including thread) a quick twist and rub with emery paper to remove surface rust and refitted.

Although there was nothing suggest the bushings needed doing, they look intact and in quite good condition to me; I opted to do them as I had them in parts bin :p Not sure how they will improve the handling or if I will notice, but hey-ho I'm pleased as its another job I have been able to do myself.

I must also thank Howard for his counsel - it was helpful to talk through the job before tackling it :D

Any comments, please post them up!

...pictures will follow once mysore as charged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool, was thinking of doing mine in the next few weeks, do you need to slacken off or remove the ARB links at either end before you do this job?

I take it you mean the front drop links? No you won't need to as with the ARB unbolted from the front cross member, you have enough give to pull/push it to get better access.

It really was quite straightforward process as I did consider if I needed to support the naked ARB with a jack to keep it under tension etc. - its just a case of undoing the 4x13mm bolts and the brackets with bushings will come away.

cool, thanks for the info

Nice one, you'll be rebuilding a transmission in no time :p

Time to share some pictures :D

Here are the old bushings:

old_bush_1.JPG

old_bush_2.JPG

The old brackets removed and cleaned:

old_bracket_1.JPG

old_bracket_2.JPG

New bushings:

new_bush.JPG

Mounting holes cleaned (a little):

mount_1.JPG

mount_2.JPG

New bushings fitted, only got O/S/F as iPhone ran out of battery :p

nsf_fitted.JPG

...another angle of the same bushing:

nsf_fitted_1.JPG

Lastly, I am concerned about the level of rust my Ex has underneath. Howard tells me not to worry :p But I do...I reckon one day my Ex will disappear into a pile of rust :p

nsf_rust.JPG

osf_rust.JPG

As ever, comments invited!

WHOA!!! that's some huge picture,lol

Can i ask where you got the new bushes from ?

Can anyone please help me resize the images so they appear smaller in the thread? And I do not understand why, when the images display correct way up on my MAC, they are in the incorrect orientation when posted?

These are full 1080P HD shots as taken on my iPhone 4S.

WHOA!!! that's some huge picture,lol

Can i ask where you got the new bushes from ?

I bought them when I was in the USA direct from RockAuto - with a truck load of other bits I thought I might need :p I'm slowly working my way through my box of goodies ;)

These are Raybestos (sp?) bushings.

Can anyone please take a look at my front drop links and opine if they need changing? There are no knocks or anything else that would suggest they need doing, but I am unclear when they should be done? Do mine look OK to everyone? How will I know they need changing?

Thanks...

I found one of my ARB links had sheered off at the top nut. Both the nut and bushing were missing and the lower link was wafting around in the breeze - giving an interesting and somewhat wobbly ride!

Ordered a new one off theBay for a tenner and fitted it today. Took an hour to remove the old bit. The lour nut was totally rusted on and wouldn't budge and so i cut the link off half-way down and walloped it through with a bfh. Worked a treat. With some cheeky jacking the new one was fitted in about 15 mins..

Old and New ARB Links:

http://s1059.photobucket.com/albums/t421/Simon_Knight8574/?action=view&current=Oldlink.jpg

SK

So no-one thinks the rust on the underside of my Ex. is a problem? Or is it a case of that it's SO bad non-oe wants to say anything ;)

On the plus side, since fitting the new bushings, my Ex. is working fine; no weird noises or parts having fallen off :p

Mine looked similar to yours. All the underneath parts that would come off, were removed and sandblasted, and then painted or undersealed. I spent absolutely ages on the main chassis. First, I jet washed the underneath to get rid of mud and dust. Then with a chipping hammer started to remove the scale. I was amazed at how deep some of the layers went.
It took me well over 2 months to complete. I then sprayed on copious ammounts of waxoyl.
It is a long and dirty, dusty job and I didn't just do the bits I could see!!!!
But now it has been done, it will get a yearly 'touch up' of waxoyl.

Back