Uneven tyre wear only half way around inside of tyre | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uneven tyre wear only half way around inside of tyre

DoraDaExplora

Reaction score
City, State
Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer V8 Limited
I have just noticed that on the front left hand tyre there is about a 1/2 inch deep groove starting on edge of tyre going 1/3 to atleast 1/2 way round inside tyre edge then it goes back to normal. Its arched shaped. And smooth. I first thought rubbing on something but only goes half way around, It is really deep and I cant use tyre safetly anymore. I cant see anywhere that it would be rubbing ( and if it was wouldnt the wear go all the way around? ) If alighment wouldnt wear also be universal??? Same as shocks?

I have googled this, found everything from alighment to tyre failure, suspension and tyre not put on properly. It is really weird, cant think of what it could be.??

I have 22inch Kumho ecsta on them..

What does everyone think?? Im in need of help badly... lol..

Advanced thank you's to those that reply...

Happy Easter All... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from alighment to tyre failure, suspension and tyre not put on properly.

Take your pick, it's one of those. I'd start with the suspension. Check ball joints, bushings, shocks, alignment etc....

I have just noticed that on the front left hand tyre there is about a 1/2 inch deep groove starting on edge of tyre going 1/3 to atleast 1/2 way round inside tyre edge then it goes back to normal. Its arched shaped. And smooth. I first thought rubbing on something but only goes half way around, It is really deep and I cant use tyre safetly anymore. I cant see anywhere that it would be rubbing ( and if it was wouldnt the wear go all the way around? ) If alighment wouldnt wear also be universal??? Same as shocks?

I have googled this, found everything from alighment to tyre failure, suspension and tyre not put on properly. It is really weird, cant think of what it could be.??

I have 22inch Kumho ecsta on them..

What does everyone think?? Im in need of help badly... lol..

Advanced thank you's to those that reply...

More than likely a defective tire, commonly called a seperated belt, unfortunately not all that uncommon.

I would crank the wheel to one side, inspect areas that it could rub on, then crank to the other direction, and do the same. My first guess would be you hit a bump, while having the tire turned to the max. That would explain the arched cut :dunno:

I bet you bottomed out and hit the bolt in the top of the fender well. This happened to me but I am lowered but also running smaller tires. Look in the top of the wheel well and see if there is a nicely polished bolt

IF IT GOES FROM EDGE OF TIRE THEN TOWARDS CENTER OR TOWARDS SIDEWALL THEN RETURNS , YOU HAVE MOST LIKELY RUN OVER SOMETHING THAT CUT YOUR TIRE and probably a one time thing

Tyre, as in Lebanon?

Camber maybe when I put new torsion key in mine were bowed out

@ Guardian SPort, Tyre as In Tyre on a rim.... :p Though I must say I once knew a Hiram of Tyre, He was on the level. :) Buttt We spull cowectly dun hurr in Oz... Lol.... For you yanks I should say Tire.... Hahaha.... Color or Colour....? now that is a real question? lol... I better be nice, We just got our first rotation of US Marines here.

Thanks for the feedback and so quickly. Between my front passenger door spring going and my fuel lean codes on, It seems my good old explorer is just about to cost me some money, not to mention my sanity.... But I cant give up on her, I love the old girl to bits... Great forum and great in depth how to's.... Keep up the good work team... :)

I just had a real good look, The tyre wear is more like 4/5 of the way around. I tried to insert image but it keeps asking for the URL for image? Hmmmm...

@ Guardian SPort, Tyre as In Tyre on a rim.... :p Though I must say I once knew a Hiram of Tyre, He was on the level. :) Buttt We spull cowectly dun hurr in Oz... Lol.... For you yanks I should say Tire....
On the level as in black market trading?

Also, I knew the differences, being in Canada, we're partially susceptible to both Blinglish of the United States and proper English. It is a case of multiple prsonalities.

Back