• Register Today It's free!

Headlamp Indicator

robthoke

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Ltd
I typically don't purchase Fords, but I bought a '12 Explorer Ltd. It has auto headlamps, but I don't seem to have a headlamp indicator in the instrument cluster. It has a high beam and fog lamp indicators, but not any indication that the headlamps are on or off. Am I missing something or doesn't Ford do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There really is no marker lights low in the area of clocks of instruments, but I think for many modern vehicles do not Trean, perhaps to minimize distraction during night driving, the lights switch on the bottom and left of the board tells you what position you are, and most evidence is to see the lights in front of you at night, sludos

I turn on the driving lights, which give me a green indicator on the cluster and that is how I determine if the Auto Lights are turned on.

I typically don't purchase Fords, but I bought a '12 Explorer Ltd. It has auto headlamps, but I don't seem to have a headlamp indicator in the instrument cluster. It has a high beam and fog lamp indicators, but not any indication that the headlamps are on or off. Am I missing something or doesn't Ford do this.
There is no dash indicator to show that the lights are on. Must be due to cost cutting along with the inability to turn off the interior lights.
If you have navigation on, the colours reverse. The background that was white becomes grey. Also the dash lights and the Sony touchpad lights lose their brightness.

Peter

Your not missing anything. Our Explorers are.LOL I look at cup holders. Ambient lighting on. Headlights on.

Auto dimming will message at the left cluster LCD, and yes leaving the fog lights on with auto lamps will give you the indicator light.

isn't it, if the dash lights are on the headlights are on? i keep fog lights on so if i see the foglight light is on the headlights are on....

isn't it, if the dash lights are on the headlights are on? i keep fog lights on so if i see the foglight light is on the headlights are on....
Dash lights are always on otherwise you wouldn't have any display. The dash lights dim when the headlights come on. The intensity varies upon what level you have them set at. If you have ambient lighting, it comes on along with the cupholders when the headlights come on. My switch is always set to 'Auto'.

Peter

Dash lights are always on otherwise you wouldn't have any display. The dash lights dim when the headlights come on. The intensity varies upon what level you have them set at. If you have ambient lighting, it comes on along with the cupholders when the headlights come on. My switch is always set to 'Auto'.

Peter

i vaguely remember every time i go through a tunnel or something when my lights come on so does the lights to the round display of where the speedometer is. Is that on all the time also? I'm just going off memory, and I'm gonna hit 40 soon so I'm not saying my memory is right!!!! lol

i vaguely remember every time i go through a tunnel or something when my lights come on so does the lights to the round display of where the speedometer is. Is that on all the time also? I'm just going off memory, and I'm gonna hit 40 soon so I'm not saying my memory is right!!!! lol
You have a ways to go. I'm 65. As far as I know that speedo is always on otherwise you wouldn't be able to see it very well. I don't believe there are dash lights like the ones we were used to before. The displays and speedo are the lights, so in reality there is no dash light that I am aware of. Usually when the headlights go ON and OFF, there will be a pop-up in the left hand display that shows briefly the brightness settings.

Peter

Here's the indicator that the lights are on :D

night-vision-21367316.jpg

^ Everyone's a comedian.... :)

Back