lag issues like something holding back power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lag issues like something holding back power

texaspride

Reaction score
City, State
ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 5.0 awd
hello everyone . i have just bought a 97 explorer 5.0 awd with 158k miles really well kept and maintained by an older woman but when i drive it always feel like something is holding it back almost like a brake . the engine sounds great and powerful but does not preform the way she sounds . their just seems to be a lag threw the entire cycle which to me doesnt feel normal for a 302 .i notice when i make a u turn which feels like the awd pulling and holding back the truck from turning smoothly and almost feels like its slowing the car down while i turn making me excellerate as im turning slightly . could their be something wrong with the awd or are these things i feel normal for this truck ..im not looking for speed im just confused why it always feels like their is something holding the truck back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds pretty much normal for the AWD.

hello everyone . i have just bought a 97 explorer 5.0 awd with 158k miles really well kept and maintained by an older woman but when i drive it always feel like something is holding it back almost like a brake . the engine sounds great and powerful but does not preform the way she sounds . their just seems to be a lag threw the entire cycle which to me doesnt feel normal for a 302 .i notice when i make a u turn which feels like the awd pulling and holding back the truck from turning smoothly and almost feels like its slowing the car down while i turn making me excellerate as im turning slightly . could their be something wrong with the awd or are these things i feel normal for this truck ..im not looking for speed im just confused why it always feels like their is something holding the truck back
Check the parking brake shoes, inside the rear brake rotors.

Clogged cat?

Clogged cat?

This is what I'm thinking, or gummed up spark plugs and/or fuel filter. I'm sure none of those have been serviced in a long time if ever.

Check tire pressure too

Back