94 Explorer 4x4 problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer 4x4 problem

JRB C

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids MI
Hello everyone,
New here but let me start by saying there is a lot of great info here that has helped me alot.

I am having the common shift motor problem. I started by replacing the shift motor position sensor witch i know was bad, cleaned the motor, put it all back in the truck and now the motor is getting signal from the modual to shift but it just kind of bounces and does not go into 4hi. I can put direct power to the motor and it moves fine, i checked continuity at the position sensor and all is good. The modual checks out with the self test (blinks 4 times), i thought maybe that was bad and grabbed one from the junk yard with the same results. I am stumped!! I dont understand why i can put direct power to the motor and it works fine but when i plug it into the truck and push the button all i get is some clicking, a little movement from the shaft but doesn't turn. I am thinking the motor is bad and wont work on the truck but bench tests fine... Is that possible or do i have an issue somewhere else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried resetting the computer located behind the jack access panel? When I rebuilt my shift motor I had to reset it. It's easy if you haven't, just find the computer just forward of the access panel opening. Feel around by the wire ports for a reset button, it should have a red led next to it. With the truck running and in park push the reset button. I don't know if it's necessary but I turn the truck off and then restart it before moving on to testing it.
If this doesn't do the trick I'd try looking at the wires for splits or cracks, check the connections to the transfer case and fuses too.
Hope you can get it straightened out soon, good luck!

i have had an issue similar to yours with my old ranger. i took the the motor apart and found the permanent magnet was broken and had chips and pieces rubbing. i replaced it with a craigslist one and i took it apart and the new one also had a bad magnet, but it was alot better.

Have you tried resetting the computer located behind the jack access panel? When I rebuilt my shift motor I had to reset it. It's easy if you haven't, just find the computer just forward of the access panel opening. Feel around by the wire ports for a reset button, it should have a red led next to it. With the truck running and in park push the reset button. I don't know if it's necessary but I turn the truck off and then restart it before moving on to testing it.
If this doesn't do the trick I'd try looking at the wires for splits or cracks, check the connections to the transfer case and fuses too.
Hope you can get it straightened out soon, good luck!

I did reset it a few times, but i dont think i ever had it running, i will give that a try tonight. i have checked all wires and fuses a few times.. lol. Thanks for the advice, i am going to cross my fingers and give it a try!!

i have had an issue similar to yours with my old ranger. i took the the motor apart and found the permanent magnet was broken and had chips and pieces rubbing. i replaced it with a craigslist one and i took it apart and the new one also had a bad magnet, but it was alot better.

Did the motor run when 12 volts was applied but not on the truck? If the reset doesnt work i guess i will tear it apart for the 10th time.

Well i reset the modual with the truck running, no luck. I put power to the motor and got it into 4hi, plugged everything back in, pushed the button and didn't get anything but as soon as i move to drive it automatically goes back to 2hi....??

Did you check your switches ( push buttons) for 4H and 4L?

when i was doing mine i hooked a two way switch up while it was still hooked up to the truck. it would work sometimes that way. but not always. whenever i bench tested it it ran fine. i assume it was just weak. thats why i found another. the original motor magnet was split in half and the one half would bind on the windings in the motor. so thats why it would work and sometimes not. the new one i got had only a small piece broke off. i took it out and it still works to this day (my buddy has my old ranger now) that was 3-4 years ago. if you are hearing the 4x4 computer clicking like it wants to work, then the shift motor should be the next thing to look at

when i was doing mine i hooked a two way switch up while it was still hooked up to the truck. it would work sometimes that way. but not always. whenever i bench tested it it ran fine. i assume it was just weak. thats why i found another. the original motor magnet was split in half and the one half would bind on the windings in the motor. so thats why it would work and sometimes not. the new one i got had only a small piece broke off. i took it out and it still works to this day (my buddy has my old ranger now) that was 3-4 years ago. if you are hearing the 4x4 computer clicking like it wants to work, then the shift motor should be the next thing to look at

You were correct sir!! Went to the junk yard and picked up a motor for 20 bucks and she works like a champ. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help

i have a 94 explorer 4.0 xlt 4x4: when i start the truck up the 4x4 lights are on and stay on but when i push the buttons nothing happens its stays in 2wd now driving down the road about 10 mins the lights turn off. why would the lights be on when i start the truck? why is it when i push the buttons nothing happens, no noises? where should i start?

Back