Rockwells | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockwells

Hello all,
Long time user and fan, but been a long time since ive been on. O did my SAS about 6-7 years ago and posted on this site. Ive been running it with no problems besides the normal breakage. Lately i have been itchin for a upgrade and came across some up grades. I havent been on for ever so forgive me if im in the wrong thread, but back in the day it was easy to navigate this site. But anyways i have started my rock well conversion. I have rebuilt both axles flipped the rear hubs, shaved the breaks, added pinion breaks, grizzly locked the front welded the rear. Bought hummer h1 double beadlocks with rockwell welded in inserts. Plan on running 47 ltbs. Im running the BTF single reverse triangulated converions with coils. So far here is what i got, i have alot of pics put on my phone so i have to send them on over.

Attachments

• 4 link rock.jpg
    4 link rock.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,380
  • front rockwell.jpg
    front rockwell.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2,707
  • front on rocks.jpg
    front on rocks.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 3,056

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

E-Brake

Got the e brake mounted, its tiny but holds the truck. Starting to see what will work for the cable, im going to mount it to the stock foot e brake. Looks like a older ford cable is going to be long enough.

Attachments

• ebrake.jpg
    ebrake.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 643

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It has plates on the top and bottom. (not in the pic) Its tried and true, please do tell.

You butt welded the tierod end sleeves to the tierod and you don't see anything wrong with it? :thumbdwn:

No i dont, especially when a weld is stronger than the steel. Its used in many aspects of welding from oil rigs to custom fab.

By the way they are not sleeves they are part of the tubing. Like i said before its been done before. I have top and bottom plates that wrap around. And Is part structure of the front of the new tube tying into the stock rockwell tube. In fact what i have done is more overkill than most have done. Torsional strength should not be a consideration. In fact trailer hitches are made from the same steel and holdup just fine and my welds are longer than 6 inches. Good luck with your build.

Where did you get the ebrake caliper at?

Wilwood, but since then i have found a bigger and stronger set up. And its only 40 dollars more than the one i have.

Wilwood, but since then i have found a bigger and stronger set up. And its only 40 dollars more than the one i have.

Got a link for the caliper?I would like to see it.

Yes i do let me find it, it is way huge and has alot more clamping force.

Part Number 7214 $135.00ea 5/8" to 1 5/8" Rotor thickness

Positive pad retraction. Adjustable pad pressure. Mounting bracket included.

Fits rotors 9 1/2" to 13" inch Diameter.

Overall length 8 5/8" inches Height 1 5/8" inches

Mounting bracket hole spacing 5 1/2" center to center

Attachments

• caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 606

doubler?

Ok i got off the phone with the makers of the strong box and they are making the strong box for the bw1354, It costs 900.00 and comes with a free shifter, i also got off the phone with Duffy from d&d machine and he has kits in stock for 525.00. So now the decision is buy a complete unit from strong box with no need to cut, grind and hope it seals, or buy a kit from d&d and make my own????? D&D says he has it down perfect... Does strong box? I know they make alot of other strong boxes. Decisions, Decisions...

Can you get us some detailed photos of the rig. I still want to do this.

im with redranger on this. i dont know how strong the ti rod is going to be. i know there is a bunch of options out there for this problem why not look into them and be safe?

what you have i think would be fine for a roller but if your going threw all the trouble to throw in rocks you might as well play is safe and upgrade the ti rod.

just my .02

Thanks im in the works after looking at the opinions. Like i said i have seen it done, but honestly that doesnt mean it was done right, so i am in the works of a better idea. Thanks for the concern..:thumbsup:

After a few talks about my steering I am going to upgrade but keep what I have for now. I also have another stock set up to bolt in in case it breaks. (However im losing caliper distance). Im going to take it on some mild runs that have a few high caliber obstacles and see how it holds. However for the new upgrade im looking at double high steer arms, one that has two holes one for the hydro ram and the other for the linkage connected to the other side as well. My only problem is, is that I don’t have the dimensions on the arms and don’t know if they will hit the caliper at full lock. But what I do have is a buddy that works at a fab shop that can cut me out some new arms once I get the proper length. So time will tell, but all my money is going towards the strong box so I will have to wait, unless I do some trade work.

Nice build. I've been following it since the first post. The results have turned out well. I'm sure you'll have the steering hammered out before long. I PM'd you regarding the strongbox. I would like more info on that. Keep up the good work.

yes i do i will dig up the number tomorrow. It is bascially the same as duffys doubler but in a machined case. No cutting no silicone, a bolt up system seems nice.

Strong box, doubler

Ok just finally ordered my strong box, the guy Jake says he has made some for a few people with explorer/ ranger set ups. Another thing he does is he will make you a strong box that you can bolt a NP205 behind it and he provides a twin stick kit as well. (for front digs) The boxes allow you to clock your transfer case every 5 degrees and for the time being he throws in the shifter. I told him about this site and he is looking at becoming a vendor. His name is Jake and his number is 270 230 7015.
STRONG BOX FEATURES:
•~2.7:1 Low range multiplier
•Low profile design minimizes / eliminates fitment issues with floorboards, exhaust, front driveshaft, shifters, etc...
•72 position, 360º clockability in 5º increments
•New 4340 chromo output shaft
•3/8" plate steel adapters, CNC cut, precision machined and welded
•Fluid level sight tube, drain plug, and particle magnet
•Integrated lugs / bolt tab for mounting in custom applications
•Linkage or cable shift ready
•Easy installation: No machining, or welding required; only minor drilling in some applications*
The Strong Box kit for Fords uses the stout 2.7:1 planetary gears from the Borg Warner 1356 transfer case. This kit is designed to be compatable with nearly all Full size Ford transfer cases, including the NP 205 transfer case, and allow use of the original NP 205 shift rails with little to no modification, even with most "twin stick" conversions.

Attachments

• strong box.jpg
    strong box.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 568

strong box to 205

I just got me a np205 and called jake and told him to go ahead and machine my box for a 205 bolt pattern. Im also going to have him make me a twin stick kit. I should recieve my box in a few weeks and he is taking 200 dollars off if i send him my old transfer case.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 539

Back