Alignment issues and 3inch body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment issues and 3inch body lift

TheBandit1986

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford explorer
Well I have a 96 Ford explorer 4dr xlt sport with a 4.0 Ohv and I put new ball joints in it I decieded to go with the one piece upper control arms (master pro From Oreilly) I brought it in to get an alignment done and they cant adjust the camber or caster I also bought fully adjustable caster bolts for it. Any ideas on what the issues is? and Ive been consider a 3 inch body lift from Performance Accessories now the kit I would be getting would be for the 98 and up ford Ranger I called them and asked about the steering shaft and that shaft is used on the 95 and up Rangers what other parts would I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

swap the passenger side back to the adjustable 2pc adjustable control arm.

Thats what im planning on doing its the only option i have left lol So it looks like I will be doing that here soon. Any idea on the body lift?

While that 2 piece is a nice adjustment for the caster, there is more than enough room on the upper CA's two mounting bolts to get camber/caster adjusted. There may be locking washers that stop movement initially, once you get them out of the way (either replace with regular flat washers or buy an eccentric kit) they almost move too much.

Yea I got those on my rig now I just find it weird that they only align the toe with those on but when I get more cash Im gonna switch over to the two piece control arm and switch the entire front end over to moog parts

hmmm...only thing that adjusts toe directly is the inner tie-rod. The two upper control arm bolts most directly affect the camber and caster. The eccentrics just help make the adjustment easier.

i want to see how you adjust an inner tie rod,
i worked in an alignment shop and never saw any that did that, , ever,

perhaps I phrased that wrong? which end of the tie rod did you spin to adjust toe?

so you take the outer tie rod off the knuckle and spin it?

I just loosen the jam nut and spin the inner tie rod...

So ur guys r saying to get my alignment fixed I need to switch to the two piece contral arm on the passanger side ad that should do it. And keep in mind I plan on going with moog tie rode ends upper and lower ball joints as well. Now does anyone have an idea on the 3 inch body lift what I mean by that is where to get it and what kit I need cause I know they didnt make one for the 3rd gen explorer

Also another thing about my explorer is I have a fully functional 5r55e tranny in it with no codes being thrown it was a lot of work but I did it keep in mind its a 96 and they came with the 4r55e

Back