• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac re-power

qumanchew

Reaction score
City, State
Kutztown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sporttrac Turbo Diesel
Hey guy's. I just found this forum and thought you guy's might like to see the project I've been working on. In my search for better fuel economy and towing performance I decided my best bet was a diesel conversion. I chose the sport trac because it fit my need well. Four doors to haul the family yet fairly small to achieve good mileage.

So here's what I using. 2003 sport trac. I looked long and hard till I found a manual trans one because it made the conversion easier. It's a fairly stripped down model. It has power window and ac, that's about it. For the motor I chose to go with the cummins 4BT since I think it is the most common "small" diesel and one of the simplest.

The conversion is almost done so I have a lot of pictures and info to post. I'm a slow typer so that's it for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops! I think the mods moved it for me . Thanks you.

Welcome. I thought you were already a member here. I guess I should have mentioned it to you on 4btswaps.

Interesting.... I have done a little research into this myself.

Here's acouple pics of the truck and the motor. The motor had 140k miles on it when I got it and a decent amount of blowby. I tore it down and discovered a few broken rings. Everything measured within standard spec so I honed the cylinders and rebuilt her. While I had it apart I got the exhaust manifold ceramic coated and almost everything alluminum on the motor is getting powder coated silver.

Attachments

• sport trac 010.jpg
    sport trac 010.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 961
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 918
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 937

Welcome. I thought you were already a member here. I guess I should have mentioned it to you on 4btswaps.

Thanks, I got a lot of ideas from you build. I've actually been lurking on this board for a while, just finally got around to joining.

The next thing was to decide what trans and tcase to go with. I first got an m5r2 and BW1356 from an 88 f150 but decided they wouldnt work so great. The shifter on the trans was to far foreward so I ended up goin with one from an 03 F150. The shifter on these is right where it was on the m5r1 so that worked out great. After a lot of measuring I decided to switch from the 1356 to a 4406. This was a great decision for a few reasons. For one thing it is a lot skinnier. Also it had the speedo sensor in the tailshaft so my wiring plugged right in, all I had to do was lengthen it. Heres a pic of the t-case next to each other.

As far ad the trans mount goes it was an easy mod. I cut down the cross membersince this trans is taller and I re-used the original rubber mount from my truck.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 906
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 889
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 889

After I had the trans where I wanted it, which is actually 1'' farther back than stock, I went about mounting the motor. I knew there would have to be oilpan mods but I wanted to minimize them so I lowered the axle housing down by 3/4". This was pretty ease. I just cut the mounts off the frame and lowered them. Then I made the motor mount. I used the factory rubber mounts from the donor step van. Also I added a 1.5" body lift for a little more room.

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 872
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 895
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 889
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 934

Few more of the mounts.

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 894
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 916

Great idea! I've been dreaming about doing this. Glad to see someone actually doing it.

Thanks Guy's! My next order of business was modifying the oil pan. This was the biggest pain in the a$$ because I had to keep taking the motor in and out of the truck. Also had to lengthen the pickup tube to move it farther back. In the one picture you can see it sitting full of gas. This was the best way I could find to check for leaks.

Attachments

• ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 861
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 866
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 859

Now that the motor could be bolten in it's final location I worked on the exhaust. I ended up having to make a 1'' spacer for the turbo so it would clear the heat/ac box. I used 3'' ss for the exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. For now I just cut a hole in the bumper since I plan on making a new one anyway.

Attachments

• 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 878
  • 505.jpg
    505.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 868
  • 111 (2).jpg
    111 (2).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 856

I can't wait to see and hear this thing when it's done. Subbed!

Looks very good! I definitely want to follow this.

Just out of curiosity, because diesels generally rev lower than gasoline engines, have you given any thought to the transmission/rear end ratios and the speeds you will run in each gear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back