Azaizai's '96 5.0 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Azaizai's '96 5.0 XLT

(I've been watching a lot of British Top Gear...my apologies if this gets wordy)

Well, I did it again. I had a budget set, a goal to attain...and I managed to get snagged on another RBV. Ya see, I'm supposed to be pinching pennies and shaking out jeans in an effort to get my head above the recent household purchases.

Then a friend, the same friend that turned my relatively stock 1997 ranger into a capable off-road vehicle, told me about a deal he had going on a 5 liter explorer. Now ever since I started learning about the Ranger based vehicle experience, I've loved the idea of having a small block in the front of one. I knew I liked the disc braked 31 spline 8.8 in the back of the explorers...and having a little dirt under my fingernails, I knew I liked the newer non-TTB front suspension for the limited, non-extreme wheeling I was accustomed to. All of those in the same package? Ok...lets talk.

Turns out it was owned by a former service writer from the shop I work at. Well, technically his ex-wfe...and their 5 kids. Yes 5. In an explorer. Oh man. I'm convinced that all 6 of them, thats the wife and kids, were out to ruin this truck to spite their former family member. Interior...shot.

Well, apparently those kids had a lot of extra curricular activities on their schedule and they put a lot of miles on the poor old thing. 189 on the clock (10k less than the ranger I was giving up). Though, thanks to the father, the explorer got some maintenance during this period. Some decent shocks (Monroe sensa-track), alignments (performed, quick ironically, by me), and a trip to the Ford shop for a check engine light that they threw parts at (DPFE, O2 sensors and a MAF).

It wasn't much to look at. I started it to see how it ran...and was surprised. It ran fine! Then I rev'd it up...and that damned exhaust leak presented itself. With no EGR to point the finger at...I knew it had to be the manifolds.

Took it for a quick spin and I could *feel* the AWD front drive shaft slapping around down there. The transmission wouldnt shift past second...no matter what speed, setting, gear or whatever you put it in.

SOo...before this gets out of hand...I bought it. Well, I traded it...kinda. I got the explorer and a few bits and pieces needed to swap in a BW4406. I think I might also get rights to my friend's front suspension when he cuts it out. He sold my ranger after we stripped it of all the exciting parts (gears, lockers, etc) and took whatever he wanted. Not too bad of a deal, really.

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Well, I got excited...and I managed to get quite a bit done before I took any pictures.

- Swapped in a manual BW4406 from a (I'm guessing) 99 f150. It had the speedo gear on the end of it and everything plugged and played together perfectly. There was very little drama, and mucho gracias to the various write-up authors that helped!
- I removed the carpet from the interior and tried my best to get some control of the color and odor stored within it. It was a hard fought battle, but I managed to get the smell under control...but 16 years of kids, crayons and candy just cant be defeated, and the dull grey it mottled with stains. Oh well.
- I swapped the old Explorer wheels for my Pacer alloys and a set of 31x10.50 BFG AT's. Which leads us to this pic...which goes to show you what I really wanted to accomplish...

IMAG0198.jpg

Future plans are a mixture of honey-do's and gearing up.
- Both rear doors need their handles replaced.
- Half the dash lights need replacing.
- Need a new windshield.
- Replace all swaybar end links and make a few quick disconnects.
- Add-a-leaf in the rear (about a half inch shorter in the rear)
- TT the front (although the 31's are clearing fine right now)
- Install a lock-right in the front dif.
- Install an open carrier and lock-right in the rear dif.
- Swap out the rear dif cover for rock-crusher cover.
- Install a reciever hitch onto the front of the explorer (well, possibly...if it fits and doesnt seem too heavy/in the way.)
- Install a reciver hitch in the back. (I do plan on using the explorer for camping as well as wheeling...so I'll need a proper receiver)
- Hood props.
- Torque Monster Headers (if I can find a way to make them sound like 700 dollars isnt a negative thing)
- Some kind of muffler. Definitely 2 into 1 with a proper exit.
- Some kind of intake. Not necessarily a snorkel...but less water-intakey than the current filter by the headlight setup.
- Rhino-lining the quarter panels and possibly the bumper plastic.
- Re-do the arm rest.
- Mount some fog-lights up front.

There are a few more that are a bit lofty (sliders, bumpers, swing out tire carrier, SAS, SOA, 35x12.50) but thats quite a bit further down the way...and I'm looking forward to trying her out as she is.

Anywho, thanks for reading...and I'll try to update as I can. Even if its just more cell-phone pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice x

thank ya!

Got a little done at work today and discovered a couple things to add to the list.

IMAG0219.jpg

IMAG0218.jpg

While I was back there I noticed the brake lines running to the back brakes were rusted all to hell. So I guess I have that to look forward to...

I also noticed the parking brake cable wasnt connected to the driver's rear. Took the rotor off and found that the shoes were in pretty rough shape and arms were frozen. So....more to do! woo...

In lighter news the lockright came in for the front. Not sure when I'm going to tackle that.

Hard to resist a 5.0 Ex. I've thought about it! Congrats on the new ride! :thumbsup:

Nice looking truck! The center console cover almost looks like someone took a bite out of it :eek:

Hope to see it in a few weeks!!

Going has been slow, but every hot day we've had so far has ticked up my "lets go wheeling" meter...so things are going to start moving soon. My buddy Randy is chomping at the bit to get things prepared, so I know I'll get caught up in that.

Unfortunate circumstances (http://www.columbiamissourian.com/s...her-businesses-along-business-loop-70-sunday/) has left my wife commuting with me to Jefferson City but also leaves me with a few extra hours at the shop, so I should be able to start knocking out simple fixes (I'm hoping the brake lines and stuff like that that is so much easier on a lift) and get the rig in "no unfortunate surprises" level. I think I've got the rear end lined up to swap in the open differential required for the lock-right and another front dif to swap in for the other lock-right.

I get the distinct feeling this explorer is going to be ready to go by May. Sooooo awesome!

...and indeed I was correct!

Saturday afternoon we got the rear carrier swapped out and setup. I also scored some extra parts from a buddy's explorer (He's going full width half ton axles, so didnt need all these squishy IFS parts). This allowed me to setup the front locker and then swap everything out...

...which happened today! Got to work, didnt touch a car for an hour so I pulled my own in. Did a pretty amazing amount of work but it was all on a lift...so its kind of like cheating.

- LR axle seal replaced
- rear lock-right installed
- hardcore dif cover installed
- removed rear driveshaft and polished the slip portion
- replaced x-fer case tail shaft seal that was leaking (perhaps from the driveshaft)
- swapped out the locked front dif for the stock one

Got all done in about 5 hours and took it for a quick drive, then to the parking lot to run it up a few gravel hills. All four wheels locked great in 4wd and behaved great in 2wd. The front rachets loudly, but I think its awesome. The rear is acting just like it used to in the Ranger, very predictable.

More fun on the horizon with add-a-leafs and warrior shackles on the way. If there was some way I could round up enough money to either buy some torque monsters (ya right) or some dorman replacement manifolds (more likely) I'd like to get that done before driving to Springfield. That exhaust leak just ruins my fun!

Save and get TMs wont regret.

Did you purchase new end links for the the rear sway bar quick disconnects? I've been trying like the devil to get mine together and I can never get the damn bolt out of the rubber...

Ya, I purchased new ones and wished I hadnt. I think it would have been easier to just punch out the old bushings and rig something else up.

As it was I put the link in a vise and punched it out with a c-clamp much like a ball joint or u-joint. I used the old link's bushings with the new sleeves and everything is pretty tight. Definitely not worth what I paid though, but maybe cheaper than an aftermarket set of disconnects

Wowzors! 4wheelparts is no joke! Ordered the add-a-leaf and shackles on the 11th and they were on my doorstep this evening. Thats amazing! and I got a good deal. I would have waited 2-3 weeks with amazon to get free shipping. With a little searching I found an online coupon for 5% off and free shipping.

I'm happy! Wonder if I can get everything installed tomorrow? Was slow at work again today...and its supposed to rain tomorrow...perhaps I'll get lucky!

Well, another slow day at work so I managed to get the lift put together. Wasnt too terribly difficult. The only hard/confusing part was when I went to reattach everything after the lift and the sway bar, shocks and brake line didnt look like they wanted to be even *close* to their mounts. I had to lower the truck down to get the bolts started then pick it up and double check everything.

I'd say I got a solid 2 inches if not 3. Still need to raise the front, I ran out of time.

Whats left of the old shackles
IMAG0255.jpg

The lift
IMAG0257.jpg

As the front settled down (from hanging in the air lol), the rear started to get noticeably taller.
IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

For comparison
IMAG0198.jpg

Maybe today I can get the front adjusted and get it aligned. Would make for a productive week!

So new fun-ness...

My fuel pump went out saturday. Have a replacement in hand and think I'm going to take the opportunity to run new brake lines properly back there while I've got the tank out.

Can anyone think of any other "while you're in there" opportunity for that tank being down and the pump being out? It'll be on a lift at work too...

Can anyone think of any other "while you're in there" opportunity for that tank being down and the pump being out? It'll be on a lift at work too...

Might as well swap in a 4406 transfer case while you have the tank down. ;):D

Good call, already done though ;) Haha...I think I had that case in my hands before I had the explorer bought

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whoops! Well I guess I forgot to update this week, it had been a busy one.

Well, learned a little early into the week that I wouldnt be able to go to the Ford Invasion the first weekend of May...but then learned that my wheeling buddy was wanting to go to SMORR the last weekend of April. Sooooo it was get $#!% fixed time.

First off fuel pump! Started on it Monday. Tank removal was a breeze 'cause I'd already removed it for 4406 installation (and the lift). Removed the pump and set about installing the pump my parts guy had ordered...

Which brings us to problem #1: Wrong fuel pump. I'm not sure why or what I was supposed to do...but I was sent this item

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...4110944&ci_sku=20771350-31909&vehicleId=31909

...and I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to make it work. After some finagling I gave up and we searched for an alternative part from another source. Scanning pictures on parts websites...NAPA had a more appropriate looking pump.

http://www.jbrp.com/1995-1996-Ford-Explorer-Fuel-Pump-95-96-Ford-Explorer-Carter-Fuel-Pu-p10089739/

The pump came with the plastic...ummm...case? and required only a connection to the old wiring and reattaching the sender. Put it all back in and success!

A bit of "while I was in there" came in the form of replacing all the brake lines. It all went pretty easily until I had to double flare the lines to the ABS pump. I think I used 2 6' lines, one of the next size smaller (60" or 40 something) and one smaller one for the driver's side. I had to buy a flaring kit 'cause I'd never needed one...and after a bit of learning, figured it all out. Flushed the fluid out and bled the brakes to find no leaks and a little more pedal firmness! Success #2.

A little later in the week I started working on getting the 'sploder trail worthy.

Step one: Tow points...well...point.

I snagged a receiver hitch from a hardbody nissan truck. I'm not sure why I held onto it...I think at the time I was going to build it into a bumper for the ranger. Well, with a little cutting and drilling...it fit surprisingly well behind the front bumper. The mount/bracketry was cut and thusly is only held on by two grade 8's per side. I also got lazy and only put the bolts through half the frame. I think I might fix that soon. Time was not on my side.
I put it to use on one trail and got winched out. No drama, no fuss!

I havent addressed the rear for tow points yet. I may save a bit of cashola and work a receiver into a bumper/tire carrier build so I dont have that drop hitch ruining my departure angle.

That finishes up the build up. I installed a cb in quick time. I cut out a light from the change holder, I think, and got 12v to it...but it only turns on when the parking lights are on (or any lights, really). It worked great with the cheapass magnetic antenna from radioshack. I stuffed it into the change holder part of the center console (which...sadly...still doesnt have a lid/cover)

Install diary over...now onto the trail damage.

Back