Radio Signal Cuts Out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Signal Cuts Out

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
I posted this in my review but figured i'd create a separate thread since a quick search did not reveal others with this issue.

My only real issue with my X so far is with the Sirius Radio. When i drive under a bridge or pull into my garage the radio cuts out. My wife has XM in her vehicle and I have never heard her's cut out when driving under the same bridges or pulling into the same garage. I would understand it if it were a long tunnel or whatnot, but not a highway underpass.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing something could be messed up with the antenna, though i suppose it could be an MFT issue too. I'll ask my dealer about it whenever i go in, though its not a big enough problem for me to make a special trip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's normal. XM and Sirius' satelites are different, after all they originally were competitors before the merge. XM's satellites circle the earth 90-degress to Sirius'. XM is a little more tolerant of clear-sky obstructions. XM isn't w/o their issues either. It's not that big of a deal when you think about it.

It's typical of satellite radio, cutting out under bridges and over hanging oak trees etc.

Nothing messed up. It's satellite radio. If it can't "see" the satellite, it won't work. The exception is that they have terrestial rebroadcast in major metro areas so it will work in a tall building environment.

Thanks for all the replys. I did some more searching and saw there was another thread on this topic, so sorry for reposint. I still am surprised my wife's XM works perfectly fine and Sirius cuts out, since they are both satellite and all. I would be surprised if there was an XM repeater near enough to my house that would explain why my wife gets XM in the garage and i get nothing. But oh well, just something to consider when my free trial is up and i have to make the decision whether to pony up for it or not.

I have had the same experience.

My previous car had XM and I almost never lost the signal. Now, it seems like it doesn't take much to lose the signal.

I still am surprised my wife's XM works perfectly fine and Sirius cuts out, since they are both satellite and all. I would be surprised if there was an XM repeater near enough to my house that would explain why my wife gets XM in the garage and i get nothing.
Satellite placement is key.

I had XM before the new Explorer with Sirius. There are places where I used to get zero reception with XM that I now have reception with Sirius, and vice versa.

I will say that the XM signal seemed to be stronger, and the XM terrestrial network better in my area. I get reception in the garage now, but there are many more places that Sirius cuts out momentarily and the XM played right through.

Sirius reception issues

I have a question i have not had many issues with my explorer she has been very good to me, but i had xm radio on my caddy cts4 2008 and never had any reception loss but with the explorer the sirius goes in and out more than the xm is it a radio thing or what?? I have the shark fin antenna but it was doing that even with the stock antenna my friend has a mazda 2012 and his is the same but when he had his bimmer with sirius it never happen any idea why ?????

I have a question i have not had many issues with my explorer she has been very good to me, but i had xm radio on my caddy cts4 2008 and never had any reception loss but with the explorer the sirius goes in and out more than the xm is it a radio thing or what?? I have the shark fin antenna but it was doing that even with the stock antenna my friend has a mazda 2012 and his is the same but when he had his bimmer with sirius it never happen any idea why ?????

No idea why, but, I have the same issue.I had a GM vehicle with XM and almost never lost the signal. Even under bridges. Now the slightest thing can cause a dropout.

Don't know if it is a Ford thing, or, sue to the Sirius hardware.

Same here, My Sirius is missing the audio stream every few minutes and I drove the same route with my wifes 2011 GMC Terrain and the XM was rock solid. Both on the same station.

Should we, i call sirius to find out or ford ??

I belive it's the radio in other cars the radio buffers or saves infor before it plays thats why when going under overpass or bridge radio is playing from a bufferthat saves the music. some radios don't have a buffer

gdecamp said:
Probably a Sirius issue.

Antenna. There is nothing Sirius can do. It's not like they can boost the signal. The reception on the Ex is the worst of my 3 vehicles. Same with the Nav.

Antenna. There is nothing Sirius can do. It's not like they can boost the signal. .

I have no issues with antenna here. I think Sirius would "refresh" his system and maybe it would help. If not then call Ford.

Thanks de camp, hey i lost your cell number pm me pal !! Nice pics !!

Radio Cuts Out

Hey,
Tried doing a search and wasn't able to find anything useful... Looking for any suggestions...

While driving my radio cuts in and out intermittently... This happens on both Sirius as well as FM and occurs in any number of locations including open road... It is not isolated to being under structures or trees...

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Ethan

Hey,
Tried doing a search and wasn't able to find anything useful... Looking for any suggestions...

While driving my radio cuts in and out intermittently... This happens on both Sirius as well as FM and occurs in any number of locations including open road... It is not isolated to being under structures or trees...

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Ethan
If you have verified that the antenna is properly tightened then I guessing it may be an issue with the radio itself.
I guess it depends on how often it cuts out, have you ever tried turning the radio on while just parked with the ignition off? The radio should stay on for about 20 minutes. Not sure if that would be long enough for a test. If it cuts out while not moving, I would think the problem is with the radio itself. Have you tried it while playing songs on a USB drive?
These kinds of problems can be difficult to isolate without a bit of investigation.
Good luck Ethan.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, MFT and Nav

Tried to replicate with ignition off as per suggestion and it worked without occurrence... Problem is that it's an infrequent thing... I dont know if it didn't occur because car was off or just didnt feel like it at that time...

As an aside, I put a couple of hundred miles on the car today and no problems

Back