Puddle lights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lights

Hey guys, I know I've posted this question before, but I'm hoping to attract more comments, AND I referred to the puddle lights as just "side view mirror" lights before, so hopefully, now that I have the correct terminology, I can elicit a greater response. ANYWAYS, I was wondering if anyone out there knows how I can get to the bulbs, AKA the puddle lights under my side view mirrors. I want to change the colors, but I'm scared to just pop the under-glass, and risk breaking it. I've already made some severe scratches to it attempting this. HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

blively2, have you actually attempted this? If so, do you stick in the pointed end or the "long" end of the razor blade? Just curious. I don't want to risk breaking the lens. Thanks.:salute:

Yes, I did so immediately after finding the how-to on the Internet. Took me less than a minute per light, and that included changing out the bulb. :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Holy Crap! It worked!!

To answer the question on how to remove the puddle light housing; it's simple. I found the how-to on the internet (you can everything on the internet, right?).

Take a thin, long razor (I used a replacement razor for a box cutter. Slip in in the thin opening between the plastic puddle light housing and the side mirror - at the furthest most point from the door, closest to you. This pops up a tab inside. Holding the razor or box cutter in place, prior with a forward and down motion, towards the ground. The plastic housing comes out like butter! The same to get it back on, but no razor required - just snaps back into place. Takes less than five seconds per puddle light.

I finally did this myself, and it's exactly as he said, but I used a small, thin, flathead screwdriver. After a little wriggling, it went in, and with a only a little prying, as I pulled it down, the lens came down with it.
When the lens came out, I remember thinking, "Ok, why was this so hard again?"

I just did this and it worked like a charm. I used a replacement razor for a box cutter like blively2 did. I tried a small, thin, flathead screwdriver like 02V8Limited used but I couldn't fit it in. This is awesome. Explorer Forum strikes again!!

whats the bulb size for a 04 explorer???

Good question. I replaced mine with LED's and never really looked at the old bulbs. Finding the correct bulb number is not that easy. I can't seem to find it in the owner's manual or on sylvania's website. I think I have the old bulbs in the glove compartment. I'll check and post the info here.

Stand by................:popcorn:

Good question. I replaced mine with LED's and never really looked at the old bulbs. Finding the correct bulb number is not that easy. I can't seem to find it in the owner's manual or on sylvania's website. I think I have the old bulbs in the glove compartment. I'll check and post the info here.

Stand by................:popcorn:

yah i even googled it and got a couple different numbers and if you can tell me where to get them from. i got all the interior LED's but not the pods or the plate. if you know the number for the plate that would be great too
thanx

yah i even googled it and got a couple different numbers and if you can tell me where to get them from. i got all the interior LED's but not the pods or the plate. if you know the number for the plate that would be great too
thanx

Check out this thread, it's where I got info on the LED's for the puddle lights. There is also info on the plate LED's: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294316

Good luck!

I have a 2000 x and the driver side puddle lamps is not working I tryed changing it but not even the new bulb work so I tryed putting my driver side old bulb in the pax side and the old bulb does work I'm thinking that it can be the fuse well I don't know if each side runs on different fuses but if any one knows can you please help me out thatx

I have a 2000 x and the driver side puddle lamps is not working I tryed changing it but not even the new bulb work so I tryed putting my driver side old bulb in the pax side and the old bulb does work I'm thinking that it can be the fuse well I don't know if each side runs on different fuses but if any one knows can you please help me out thatx

I don't have a second gen Ex, but I'm guessing it doesn't have a separate fuse for each puddle light. I know in the 3rd gens it's usually broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door.

Maybe some 2nd gen guys will chime and and help you get it sorted!!

well thaanks for the reply I hope some one else also replys me some help

I had an 03 explorer EB and i replaced my puddle lights with red bulbs and i used a butter knife and took my time and i got the lens off

Just like they bolted onto my 99 Sport... Now I did not have the wiring for the puddle lights and the heated mirrors already in the 7 pin plug for the mirrors...A higher optioned Explorer might already be wired for more functions..

In fact my old mirrors' plug was only 4 pin...It powered the power mirror function and that was it...

To remedy this problem, I visited my local junkyard and removed 2 7 pin wiring connectors for the mirrors and then wired the necessary pins for the puddle lights and the heated mirror function...

I powered the puddle lights from the interior light source and the momentary keyless entry double flash... And the mirror heat function I used a relay to switch on the power to the mirror when I would turn on the rear window defroster...I tied the relays' ground into the lead from the defroster switch ground and that closes the relay and allows the mirrors to be heated as long as the defroster is on...

And since my mirrors have a screwed on lens for the puddle lights, I replaced the regular bulbs with some SMD 5 led bulbs that I also used in my dashboard... They are superbright at night and they even make a flash during the day...

:thumbsup:
Hmmm, I may have to do this as a future project to upgrade to heated mirrors!

PS- My '02 Sport has two Torx screws clearly visible on the bottom side of the mirror. I just ordered some of the 12-LED plug n play bulbs (originally #168 bulb) from superbrightleds.com, I'll post some pics next week?

:thumbsup:
Hmmm, I may have to do this as a future project to upgrade to heated mirrors!

PS- My '02 Sport has two Torx screws clearly visible on the bottom side of the mirror. I just ordered some of the 12-LED plug n play bulbs (originally #168 bulb) from superbrightleds.com, I'll post some pics next week?

can you post the exact ones you ordered ! there is so many different types on that site.

I'm assuming they will fit my '99 sport ?

thanks

They have a Vehicle Bulb Finder just under Car Bulbs at the top of the page.
Puddle lights are listed as Step/Courtesy Light. It'll show you an assortment of bulbs that will fit in various brightnesses and colors and even show some oversize bulbs if you feel like going beyond pnp.

got it thanks !

so thats what those lights are called. i just bought a 98. and only the passenger side mirror lights up. PO said his kid broke the original mirror and he got the one with the light in it for cheap, now i need one for the drivers side. im guessing ebay or JY? what year models did they come on so i know what to ask for when i go to the JY

after trying with my pocket knife and starting to hear the cracking of the plastic. I went and grabbed a butter knife from work and i was able to get the lens off in a few seconds. I replaced the original bulb with a 194 led. The lot at work is very bright tonight so ill look when i get out at 6 am.

I went to replace the bulb in my driver's side puddle lights with a LED. I believe the socket is bad. Do I have to replace the entire mirror or can I replace just the light socket?

I went to replace the bulb in my driver's side puddle lights with a LED. I believe the socket is bad. Do I have to replace the entire mirror or can I replace just the light socket?

I believe you have to buy the whole mirror assembly.

What makes you think the socket is bad? Has it ever worked? Have you checked it with a meter?

When I first bought my Ex the driver side puddle light was not working and it turned out to be a bad wire in the boot between the driver door and the body. Repairing the thinner black wire fixed the puddle light and other issues.

Having said that, please read on:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Hope this helps out. :biggthump

Back