• Register Today It's free!

2 rebuild a4lds no reverse HELP!

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
hey i recently rebuilt 2 a4ld in two different 94 explorers, and they both work fine but lack reverse... i didnt clean the valve body on either... could that be the problem? Both the trans's were repaired due to burning up clutches because fluid leaked out... what do you guys think? there is zero engagement engine doesnt slow down or anything. thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they both had reverse before... one of the a4lds i didnt take out the reverse planetary because i was just replacing clutches... The other one looked okay.. They both go into all forward gears just fine... haven't tried manual 1st gear... any ideas?

Do you have an air test plate? You might have to dig into them again to check each part. Did you check the reverse PSI with a 0 - 300 test gauge? Check to see if they have manual 1st gear. Are both transmissions being used on 4WD vehicles? There might be a transfer case issue.

I dont, Do you think a dirty valve body could cause this? and i mean clogged with clutch material... and i will check to see if it has manual 1st

It might be a valve body issue or a valve body gasket issue. Did you use a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench on the valve body bolts? Were the cooler lines flushed prior to the installation of the rebuilt transmissions? Did you use remanufactured torque converters?

cooler lines were flushed i lost all fluid on the side of the road.. brand new tc's for both I dont have a 1/4" torque wrench i just have the 1/2"

alright thanks man you have been a big help.

and yeah they are both 4wd

tomorrow im going to remove the vb clean and inspect it and re install on the transmission..

*UPDATE* I have fixed both the transmissions. They had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM The reverse band was a half inch forward and wasn't hitting the reverse servo. All i had to do was drop the pan, remove the valve body and slide it back with a screw driver. All is well :D My a4ld still wont engage 2nd on its own, and the kick down cable still needs adjusted. Im going to clean the vb out with brake cleaner before i re install.

Glad You figured It out , What would You charge To Rebuild One if I supplied Everything and Bring It To You ? , I found a First gen That Needs a rebuild And Would like to Help You Out With some cash and You Help Me With the Knowledge !! ?? What ya Think

Glad You figured It out , What would You charge To Rebuild One if I supplied Everything and Bring It To You ? , I found a First gen That Needs a rebuild And Would like to Help You Out With some cash and You Help Me With the Knowledge !! ?? What ya Think

Pm me

Thanks for the update! Use WD-40 after you use brake cleaner. Brake cleaner will dry the bores, so lubrication is necessary.

will do. Is that a common problem to have the reverse band slip out like that??

they were both standing upright when i rebuilt them... it just kinda strikes me as odd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back