Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Wonder if it's worth the time to deal with the dealer on having them redo this with Cory's help again or just purchase some clips in case I break any, remove the a-pillars myself and re-install??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had my '11 XLT in to have the passenger side A-pillar noise fixed. They did the TSB as prescribed by Ford.
But now I have the wind noise all the time on the highway...
I want to see this resolved for you once and for all, Greg. Please send a PM so I can arrange a follow-up.

...Since then, I've had occasional wind noise cause of high wind or cross wind....but no where near as bad as before.
I have your details from previous messages; let me know via PM if you hear anything more than that, bluelion.

So what you guys are recommending is that if I am currently experiencing intermittent wind noise, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO PERFORM THE FIX...
gpzrider,

I want to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. Please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

A big welcome to the boards, Mr.Vegas! It looks like you already got this answered.

Thanks for all the help in this thread, guys. :)

... Mine was done correctly and there is no buzzing or whistling. To be honest, it's the quietest vehicle I have ever owned...
I’m really glad to hear (or not hear) it, chimoman. ;)

Wonder if it's worth the time to deal with the dealer on having them redo this with Cory's help again or just purchase some clips in case I break any, remove the a-pillars myself and re-install??
It’s definitely worth the time to have the dealer do the work, cnsheets. Drop me a line and I’ll lend a hand.

Cory

fordcustsrvc said:
i want to see this resolved for you once and for all, greg. Please send a pm so i can arrange a follow-up.

I have your details from previous messages; let me know via pm if you hear anything more than that, bluelion.

[redacted, i was dumb]

And don't forget to edit out his VIN# from your quote of his post :)

WTF... just realized my mistake... I was actually using a forum app on my iphone and I assumed it was a PM. Really embarrassing. Thanks for the reminder.

You need to delete this last post and copy and paste that into a Private Message to Ford Customer Service.

Dont leave your VIN # out in public
And don't forget to edit out his VIN# from your quote of his post :)
Sgt1411 & VinceL,

Nice catch and great advice. :thumbsup:

...just realized my mistake... I was actually using a forum app on my iphone and I assumed it was a PM...
I’ve been there before, Greg. :) I arranged for you to be called and I shot you a follow-up PM.

Cory

A pillar problem

I had the a pillar tsb done and everything was good. Well about a week after it was done I was going about 60 and the drivers side flew off. They replaced the entire plastic piece being it slide all over the road. Yesterday the passenger side decided to fly off after a month of having it fixed.. Anyone else having this problem I will be bringing it in tomorrow. It seems like there is a double stick tape that's holds it on with the plastic clips I wonder if the heat is involved it has been getting really warm in south Louisiana. I was also thinking it may be when they replaced the gaskets they used the old tape that was not as sticky anymore. Any input will be appreciated.

That is just stupid. Double sided tape for something that goes on the exterior? Are they that cheap to put a few screws in the damn thing?

Can you take a few pictures of the back side of the pillar and of the truck side where it mounts too?

I had the a pillar tsb done and everything was good. Well about a week after it was done I was going about 60 and the drivers side flew off. They replaced the entire plastic piece being it slide all over the road. Yesterday the passenger side decided to fly off after a month of having it fixed.. Anyone else having this problem I will be bringing it in tomorrow. It seems like there is a double stick tape that's holds it on with the plastic clips I wonder if the heat is involved it has been getting really warm in south Louisiana. I was also thinking it may be when they replaced the gaskets they used the old tape that was not as sticky anymore. Any input will be appreciated.
I think that they likely didn't have plastic clips properly in place. This isn't the first time this has happened. I've read a few posts where owners had work done on the pillars and experienced the same problem. It should have nothing to do with outside temperatures.

Peter

That is just stupid. Double sided tape for something that goes on the exterior? Are they that cheap to put a few screws in the damn thing?
You would be surprised how many manufacturers do use double sided tape on exterior trim. There is now way that you can use screws to hold this plastic trim on without damaging it.

Peter

Hi Everyone:

The A pillar noise in mine was fixed recently. I'm not sure about the TSB number.

Here is what I find interesting. When the mechanic was removing the A pillar moldings, he apparently told the shop foreman that the clips holding the molding would probably brake. However, the TSB says to re-use them. Sure enough, the clips broke. So the dealer had to order them since the clips are not included with the A-pillar molding repair kit . I guess FORD is trying to save as much as possible since they let this problem go on for so long.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is maybe the plastic clips become weaker after being re-use. Maybe this is why some people are no having luck with the fix.

My dealer is Campbell Ford in Ottawa and they have been great.

The only problem they can't seem to fix is the "Terrain Management Fault". It's happened 6 times but the vehicle doesn't store any codes. When the vehicle is turned off and restarted the issue disappears.

Is it an official TSB for the 2012 X?

Hi Everyone:

The A pillar noise in mine was fixed recently. I'm not sure about the TSB number.

Here is what I find interesting. When the mechanic was removing the A pillar moldings, he apparently told the shop foreman that the clips holding the molding would probably brake. However, the TSB says to re-use them. Sure enough, the clips broke. So the dealer had to order them since the clips are not included with the A-pillar molding repair kit . I guess FORD is trying to save as much as possible since they let this problem go on for so long.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is maybe the plastic clips become weaker after being re-use. Maybe this is why some people are no having luck with the fix.

My dealer is Campbell Ford in Ottawa and they have been great.

The only problem they can't seem to fix is the "Terrain Management Fault". It's happened 6 times but the vehicle doesn't store any codes. When the vehicle is turned off and restarted the issue disappears.

Is it an official TSB for the 2012 X?

I have a 2012 built this Feb, and I visited my dealer last week about the bluetooth noise being so bad. They attributed it to the a-pillar wind noise, and told me to bring it in this week and they would replace them. Sooo looks like 2012's have the same issue.

Hey GVerreault:

Yes, it's an offical TSB, but mine is 2011 built in June. Again, I'm not sure of the exact TSB number. I just remember me seeing the words "A pillar rattle" on the TSB list that the service advisor had. In fact when the service advisor was looking at the paper, he said he couldn't find it. Then after I looked at the document, I pointed it out to him.

How about an actual TSB number?

I hear there is a number; nobody is actually sure what it is; my dealership is not familiar with it; we've got a guy from FOMOCO right here in this thread; and still no actual number in print.

Seems a little odd, if I were asked.

17,500 miles on my 2012 LTD, 4WD. Overall I'm satisfied. Mileage average of 21.6 over my 10,785 mile and 2 1/2 month trip I just spent circumnavigating the continental U.S.

Anyone want an in-depth review, I'll be happy to oblige. Beside the plastic vibrating on both sides, my biggest disappointment has been with the annoying 6-speed transmission (ratios, sloppiness, harshness).

I hear there is a number; nobody is actually sure what it is; my dealership is not familiar with it; we've got a guy from FOMOCO right here in this thread; and still no actual number in print.

Seems a little odd, if I were asked.

17,500 miles on my 2012 LTD, 4WD. Overall I'm satisfied. Mileage average of 21.6 over my 10,785 mile and 2 1/2 month trip I just spent circumnavigating the continental U.S.

Anyone want an in-depth review, I'll be happy to oblige. Beside the plastic vibrating on both sides, my biggest disappointment has been with the annoying 6-speed transmission (ratios, sloppiness, harshness).

Is this not it (below)? Are one of the #'s at the bottom the TSB#?...At any rate...you don't need the number....just tell your dealer that there is a TSB for the issue and that your vehicle is experiencing the problem...that's all I had to do and they ordered the parts based on that. I'm getting them both replaced this Friday.

12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011

Publication Date: January 19, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 11/21/2011 may exhibit a buzzing, howling, or rattle noise at higher vehicle speeds and/or cross winds, from the windshield A-pillar appliques.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove and discard A-pillar appliques, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-08.
Check old applique for any clips that may have come out of the bracket and if necessary remove and reattach to bracket as necessary. Refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
Wipe the lower rubber gasket with a damp rag (no chemicals) to clean the butyl contacting surface.
The lower rubber gasket is located on the windshield side of the bracket.
Remove protective film from the butyl tape on the new applique.
Install new applique, refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
The applique has an alignment features at the top and bottom of the applique that must be aligned before snapping the middle clips into place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-7803136-AB Moulding (Right Hand)
BB5Z-7803137-AB Moulding (Left Hand)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120111A 2011-2012 Explorer: Replace Both (2) Windshield Appliques (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7803136 33

My Vibrator

Thanks, Hugh. I'll give it a try.

This was simple.

Hey GVerreault:

Yes, it's an offical TSB, but mine is 2011 built in June. Again, I'm not sure of the exact TSB number. I just remember me seeing the words "A pillar rattle" on the TSB list that the service advisor had. In fact when the service advisor was looking at the paper, he said he couldn't find it. Then after I looked at the document, I pointed it out to him.
Hi Danny. I'm not sure if you are aware or not but there is a thread in the Stock 2011 - 2013 Ford Explorer Discussion forum called 2011 & 2012 Ford Explorer TSB's which lists the known TSB's for our Explorers.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory,
I have a brand new 2013 and have the same wind noise problem. I have taken to my dealer and they said they have never heard of this before. Can you give me some insight on the soluiton.

Back