Anyone know how to make my 99 v6 fast? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know how to make my 99 v6 fast?

Justin1990

Reaction score
City, State
Conroe, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer 4dr 4.0 SOHC
okay so i have a 99 explorer 4dr i just ordered a sct sf3 flash programmer and put a 2.5 inch magnaflow exhaust in it today what else can i do to make my explorer run faster money is not a problem i just need ideas also im working with the 4.0 v6 so i really wanna make this thing run without using nitrous

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If money's not an issue and you want to go fast, drop this into it and be done...well except for making an Explorer handle it.

M-6007-M54-2.jpg

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2011_GT500_550HP_5_4L_CRATE_ENGINE_p/m-6007-m54.htm

If you want to keep a v6 than forced induction is your only bet really. If moneys no problem swap a 302 in. Its better supported in the after market area than the 4.0.

wow love the gt 500 motor just don't love the price but what about the forced induction what can it do for a 6 thinking about the k&n air intake setup do i need to put the 75mm maf sensor on it amd what will the 75 mm do from stock? i am new to this but i really wanna have a something that just looks totally stock but will run. also like the 302 swap but don"t really wanna go that far with it i wanna keep the v6

There is not much in the way of speed parts for the 4.0 SOHC. You already have a cat-back exhaust (best bang for the buck IMO). I would add a Random Technology Y-pipe, a high flow cat, and a tuner. Cold air intake is unecessary IMO, the stock intake is already a cold air intake, just pull out the silencer and add a K&N replacement filter.

The only company that makes 4.0 SOHC headers is JBA and because they are the only company that makes them they cost an arm and a leg. People I know on the boards who have them report little or no improvement, simply because the stock manifolds flow pretty good anyway.

There are a few 4.0 parts like larger throttle bodies at www.zabteck.com.

If you change the size of your maf you need a tune, wont idle or run very well. Look into an under drive pulley. That'll get you some and a e-fan. Those two will free up some power and fuel mileage as well. There's not much you can do to your engine outside of Turbo or supper charger.

forced induction

If you want to keep a v6 than forced induction is your only bet really. . .

I agree. Everything else (exhaust, intake, tune, etc.) may result in a total increase of 10 to 15%. Forced induction (turbocharger, centrifugal supercharger, Eaton, Kenne Bell, etc.) will result in 30% or more increase.

okay so i just got the sct flash programer in and installed WOW i noticed a difference right off the line definetly runs a bit faster from stock what is this underdrive pulley?

There is not much in the way of speed parts for the 4.0 SOHC. You already have a cat-back exhaust (best bang for the buck IMO). I would add a Random Technology Y-pipe, a high flow cat, and a tuner. Cold air intake is unecessary IMO, the stock intake is already a cold air intake, just pull out the silencer and add a K&N replacement filter.

The only company that makes 4.0 SOHC headers is JBA and because they are the only company that makes them they cost an arm and a leg. People I know on the boards who have them report little or no improvement, simply because the stock manifolds flow pretty good anyway.

There are a few 4.0 parts like larger throttle bodies at www.zabteck.com.

He has the "99 explorer 4dr 4.0soch "not sohc!lol:eek:look under his name
<<<<<<-----

Whar are u talking about

Buy. Dodge shadow with a 3.0 put maga squirt 2 eBay Turbo run 13.5 all day all under $2000 also

i did im sorry im not the best typist

okay so i just got the sct flash programer in and installed WOW i noticed a difference right off the line definetly runs a bit faster from stock what is this underdrive pulley?
A smaller crankshaft pulley and possibly larger accessory drive pulleys. Creates less drag on the engine and frees up a few horsepower since the power steering, water pump, alternator, and A/C are turning slower.

How much did the tuner cost? I'm thinking of getting a tuner pack and swiss cheese CAI with K&N Filter after I put a new 4.0 SOHC in my explorer. The current engine's timing components are done so I'm doing a swap following 2000StreetRod's thread. I already have a modified exhaust as you can see in the 4.0 exhaust thread found here. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192528

The SOHC has 215Hp stock. Add custom high flow exhaust to free up 10 ponies and you have the same hp as a H.O. 5.0L (about 225-230HP). Add CAI for another 10hp, and a tune for another 15+ and you are sitting right around 250hp! More power and better mileage! That extra 30+ hp is going to give you a serious gain in performance and you will be able to tool most tuners and other morons on the road!

The SOHC has 215Hp stock. Add custom high flow exhaust to free up 10 ponies and you have the same hp as a H.O. 5.0L (about 225-230HP). Add CAI for another 10hp, and a tune for another 15+ and you are sitting right around 250hp! More power and better mileage! That extra 30+ hp is going to give you a serious gain in performance and you will be able to tool most tuners and other morons on the road!

Those are some pretty unrealistic numbers there.... And if you think that 250 hp is going to do much in a 4600 lb SUV when compared to "most tuners and other morons on the road" you've got another thing coming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But those cars are lighter and don't have to power as much also

Back