Oil Change interval | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Go ahead and change it yourself. I will when our 2013 Limited hits 3k miles. And since I change oil very frequently, I don't bother with synthetics.

Keep in mind, the new Explorer requires at least a synthetic blend oil. Not a straight dino oil. 3,000 mile oil changes is so 1999.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going on a long road trip this weekend. I normally change my own oil but the dealer threw in the first oil change. I just passed 3,000 miles and went to the dealer only to be informed that ford uses a synthetic blend and you don't need an oil change until 7,500'miles. Although I respect the dealer for informing me of this, don't you think if I'm taking a 12-14 hour road trip non stop to change out the oil, since it was the oil used for the break-in period of the Ex? I'm expecting to do about 3,000 miles the whole trip.

Had the first oil change done at the 1,000 mile mark. Then again at about 6,000 miles (total miles). Again at 11,000 miles. Since then, about every additional 7,500 miles or about 25% remaining on the oil life indicator. Now using Mobil 1 0W30.

I see two options:

1) Leased vehicle with no intentions of keeping: Follow manufacturer guidelines via oil life monitor.

2) Purchased vehicle with intentions of keeping it until it gets driven into the ground: change oil & filter ever 3X-5K miles.

I am in the second group, religiously change oil every 5K miles, regardless of what the oil life monitor tells me. Call me crazy if you want! :D I followed this procedure on my last vehicle and sold it with a strong original engine after 200,000 miles.

I see two options:

1) Leased vehicle with no intentions of keeping: Follow manufacturer guidelines via oil life monitor.

2) Purchased vehicle with intentions of keeping it until it gets driven into the ground: change oil & filter ever 3X-5K miles.

I am in the second group, religiously change oil every 5K miles, regardless of what the oil life monitor tells me. Call me crazy if you want! :D I followed this procedure on my last vehicle and sold it with a strong original engine after 200,000 miles.
I agree

Keep in mind, the new Explorer requires at least a synthetic blend oil. Not a straight dino oil. 3,000 mile oil changes is so 1999.
Been driving cars, trucks & motorcycles since 1973. Followed the manufacturers' suggested oil change intervals on a few vehicles, then switched to changing more frequently. The vehicles which saw frequent oil changes never suffered from any internal failures. Conversely, some of the vehicles which saw recommended oil change intervals had various internal failures. I'm not saying what I do is what others should do, but frequent changes has worked well for me. If that is "so 1999," then I'll continue to do so because it works. New ain't necessarily better.

Oil never loses its lubricating qualities, it just gets dirty, and oil filters won't stop all the fine particulants. My vehicles represent investments from my hard-earned money, and I alone will chose how well I maintain them. YMMV

... religiously change oil every 5K miles, regardless of what the oil life monitor tells me. Call me crazy if you want! :D I followed this procedure on my last vehicle and sold it with a strong original engine after 200,000 miles.
+1! :thumbsup:

Have you ever seen an Used Oil Analysis report?
Yes, I have, but never for a gasoline engine. Where I work, we design, build, install, and test such analysis systems for our aircraft carriers and submarines. Changing the oil is seldom done on large ocean-going vessels simply because there's so much of it. A variety of equipment employing different processes is used to remove impurities in addition to using simple inline filters. The lubricating oil is also pre-heated to operating temperature, and its piping system is pressurized prior to rotating main machinery gear. While the oil levels may occasionally be supplemented with additional quantities of new oil, it's a rare (and costly) thing to change the oil ... because oil never loses its lubricating qualities, it just gets dirty.

Keep in mind, the new Explorer requires at least a synthetic blend oil. Not a straight dino oil.
Finally got around to pulling the owner's manual out of my wife's 2013 Limited, and found the statement above to be false. According to the footnotes in the fluids section, synthetic oil is not mandatory, and SAE 5W-30 is perfectly fine. Maybe the 2011 owner's manual contained a different requirement.

Finally got around to pulling the owner's manual out of my wife's 2013 Limited, and found the statement above to be false. According to the footnotes in the fluids section, synthetic oil is not mandatory, and SAE 5W-30 is perfectly fine. Maybe the 2011 owner's manual contained a different requirement.
I have the 2011 manual and it shows Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US) and Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US).
Then the footnote you mentioned says it isn't necessary to use synthetic or a synthetic blend as long as the oil meets Ford's stated specifications.

For us here in Canada, it shows Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil and Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Don't ask me why the difference.:dunno:

Peter

Do a search, even one of the Ford Customer Service (maybe Cory) members who helps support this site has even stated a synthetic blend is the minimum requirement for the new Explorer. Regarless, I use a full synthetic. Always have. Always will.

...I just passed 3,000 miles and went to the dealer only to be informed that ford uses a synthetic blend and you don't need an oil change until 7,500'miles...
...The Owner's Guide says that the Oil Life monitor will notify you when to change...Also, if you change it yourself, be sure to keep all the receipts for record purposes in case of possible warranty issues down the road...
Finally got around to pulling the owner's manual out of my wife's 2013 Limited, and found the statement above to be false. According to the footnotes in the fluids section, synthetic oil is not mandatory, and SAE 5W-30 is perfectly fine...
Do a search, even one of the Ford Customer Service (maybe Cory) members who helps support this site has even stated a synthetic blend is the minimum requirement for the new Explorer...
Hey guys,

The following can be found in the 2013 Explorer Owner Guide 1st Printing in the Capacities and Specifications section on page 394:

3.5L V6 engine:
“•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (Canada)”

2.0L EcoBoost™ engine:
“•Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil (Canada)
•Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Canada)”

In a footnote, it also states:
“Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A, SAE 5W-30, or WSS-M2C945-A, SAE 5-W20, and display the API Certification Mark.”

Also note that this is found on page 408:
“Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ (IOLM) system which displays a message in the message center at the proper oil change service interval; this interval may be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the message center display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ must be reset after each oil change; refer to the Instrument Cluster chapter.”

For a free copy of your Owner Guide, go to the URL http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and pick your ride from the drop down menus. :)

Cory

Very far from the truth. Have you ever seen an Used Oil Analysis report?

My system has always been when I get a new vehicle to do the first oil change at half the recommended interval, then at the first recommended interval and each recommended interval thereafter. I occasionally get Used Oil Analysis on our cars. They tell me that running Pennzoil Platinum for 7500 miles in my Sport Trac is perfectly okay. FWIW, I get better UOA results with Pennzoil Platinum than I do with Mobil 1 (not that M1 is bad) and it's cheaper.

In your case I would change the oil before the trip and again at 7500 miles.
$0.02. :salute:

Very far from the truth. Have you ever seen an Used Oil Analysis report?

+1 on this.

I'm an aircraft mechanic and professor specializing in engine technology. According to Shell and Exxon (and every engine manufacturer I've spoke with about this) the fact is that oil oxidizes, changing its chemical composition and thus its corrosion prevention qualities and viscosity. The polymers that give it its lubiricity do in fact change with the mechanical friction present in piston engines. Turbines are a little different...the fully synthetic oil and lack of shearing of the polymers leads to longer oil life and some consumption from the higher temps enountered, requiring replenishing rather than replacing.

That said, I'm a big fan of what an engine manufacturer tells me, especially when they're warrantying it. More frequent oil changes will hurt nothing though and for me personally, I'll change around 5,000 miles and know that if I go over, so long as I don't exceed the oil life monitor, I won't lose any sleep at all.

-Kevin.

When are you changing your oil?

Is anyone here going to follow the oil life monitor's recommendation or will you be monitoring the oil the old fashion way? The service advisor I spoke to at my local dealership said it was up to me if I want to change my oil when the computer tells me to or change it every 5,000 miles. He then told me I have a huge investment on my hands and that I should think about it (sounds like he tried to warn me). My Explorer has approximately 6200 miles now. Oil life is down to 39%, so it's getting there. What do you guys think?

Click on the below link and read the Edmunds article which discusses this issue in detail. It clearly implies that you really can't go wrong with the intelligent oil life monitor.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtes...xplorer-xlt-ecoboost-oil-change-interval.html

really no harm in changing it early, later, no time etc can cause problems.

also bulk oil at any place is garbage.

According to the manual, you can go as high as 10,000 miles before you need an oil change (of course, this depends on your driving conditions). I read somewhere in another forum that some folks are not willing to wait that long because they simply don't trust the computer to decide for them. My question is, if Ford is designing vehicles with the intelligent oil life monitor, why would anyone not trust the computer to telll you when it's time to change the oil?

Service advisors are known to give bad advice...follow the manual and use the monitor. 5K is way too early.

I have just under 20,000 miles, and have changed the oil twice. First time around 8,500 miles, 2nd time around 15,000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is anyone here going to follow the oil life monitor's recommendation or will you be monitoring the oil the old fashion way? The service advisor I spoke to at my local dealership said it was up to me if I want to change my oil when the computer tells me to or change it every 5,000 miles. He then told me I have a huge investment on my hands and that I should think about it (sounds like he tried to warn me). My Explorer has approximately 6200 miles now. Oil life is down to 39%, so it's getting there. What do you guys think?

Click on the below link and read the Edmunds article which discusses this issue in detail. It clearly implies that you really can't go wrong with the intelligent oil life monitor.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtes...xplorer-xlt-ecoboost-oil-change-interval.html
Welcome to the Forum BigBadBark. :wavey:
If you search this Forum, you will find that there have been a few threads on this topic and everyone has there own opinion on when to change the oil.
I personally will stick with what I have always done, 6 months or 8000km (5000mi). In my case, it is always the time interval that wins out. Most of my trips are short ones which doesn't always allow the engine to get to the proper operating temperature so I follow my schedule regardless of what the oil life monitor or anyone else says.

Peter

Back