Opinions needed before I take ford dealership to court. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions needed before I take ford dealership to court.

rusty813

Reaction score
City, State
Private
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Sport
Have 2006 Explorer E.B. at 25k had dealership replace radiator due to being defective and TSB Notice on it. After picking up vehicle from dealership there was a squeaking noise coming from the vehicle. I immedidately let the dealership know about the problem but they refused to acknowledge it was their mistake, this issue occurred when they had position over the vehicle. I took the car to firestone, and to have someone pin point the exact problem. I know firestone isnt good in some areas, but out where I live they do great job. The mechanic came out with me and showed me that they spilled radiator fluid on the tension pulley. Ever since then it just been making a squeaking noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't quote me on this but IMO, the Firestone employee is correct. Antifreeze is basically an alcohol and should not come into contact with bearings (or any lubricated surfaces)- which is what the tensioner has.

Your court costs will be higher than what you would pay for a new pulley (maybe 200 to 500). Dont forget they will have some sort of hot shot lawyer that will get them out. they will call it simple wear and tear.. and by chance the bearing started to squek now..

when my radiator went bad, just by chance it was the only time i didnt do the oil change at a dealer, i did it at a firestone type place... sure enough the next day my rad was leaking...

Small claims court maybe a possibility.

Motorcraft belt tensioner is $36, a belt is $15 just because it's off.

You really can afford to take a dealer to court but not $50 to replace a pulley and belt?

I really love the "OMG I'm going to sue mentality".

*Prices are assuming you have a V6.

My same thoughts - court over a pulley and a belt ????
I know for the principal to make them fix their sloppy job, but I would not waste my time.

my dealership wants to sell me the belt tension for 150 dolllars, if you can give me the name of your dealership I will definitely do that. I caught them redhanded once I had my smartphone with me went to buy part that ford was selling for $45 at fordparts.com and they wanted $75. Then I tell the guy at counter wait a minute I can order this part for $45 dollars directly from ford with free shipping but I am tired of their customer service to be honest. I am not buying a ford vehicle from them, I am just going to fly out to the continental u.s. and go to another ford dealership, then ship the vehicle out to hawaii.

Yea I did try call ford to make them fix their sloppy job as well but owner basically told me get lost.

Wow, so where are you exactly ?

It's not "redhanded" or anything, they can sell for whatever price they wish. It is up to the consumer to either get them to match a price, or shop elsewhere.

Ford doesn't run your dealer, the dealer buys parts from them and marks them up. Fordparts.com is probably selling them at a small markup over dealer price and somehow during settlement paying the dealer to act as a storefront if the customer chooses in-store pickup.

Besides- once you took it to another shop that has now had their hands in it, the lawyers will completely pick it apart (not that they wouldn't have before anyhow) and say that Firestone did something, perhaps to gain work.

You can't win this one, buy a tensioner.

just buy the part and put on yourself it is not a hard task, and be warned never to go to a ford delership ever again. Live and learn. the only people that are getting rich in this world are the lawyer's and doctors, & politicians.

It's not "redhanded" or anything, they can sell for whatever price they wish. It is up to the consumer to either get them to match a price, or shop elsewhere.

Ford doesn't run your dealer, the dealer buys parts from them and marks them up. Fordparts.com is probably selling them at a small markup over dealer price and somehow during settlement paying the dealer to act as a storefront if the customer chooses in-store pickup.

Besides- once you took it to another shop that has now had their hands in it, the lawyers will completely pick it apart (not that they wouldn't have before anyhow) and say that Firestone did something, perhaps to gain work.

You can't win this one, buy a tensioner.

Firestone never touch anything at all never paid for service, I just popped open the hood and the started the engine and the guy heard sound and looked to see the tension pulley had some anti-freeze split on it and wobbly alittle. I dont think I would get a lawyer but most likely file small claims with them is best idea. And if the lawyer was to say firestone did it, I counter back and say that when I picked up the vehicle from the dealership and started my car there was a squeaking noise coming from the engine. I immididately reported the issue to the ford dealership about the problem and that this never existed before I brought my car to replace the radiator. The problem occurred when the ford dealership had position of my car.

How can you prove that the Ford dealer got the rad coolant on the pulley and it didn't end up there when the rad was leaking before hand and the fan sprayed it on there?

I agree with the rest, why sue for $50, just take you business else ware.

dont got advance auto parts where we live not even a carquest. I know for this problem occurred at the dealership because leak was really small and took care of the problem right away cause it wasnt really a big leak at all. The noise would have started the same way it happen at the ford dealership when I picked up my car at dealership. The worker could have done a poor job disconnecting radiator and not admit to their mistake. Regardless this problem never happen until I went to pick up my car. I think the dealership would lose but I agree with you guys it is a rest of time the more I think about. I am just annoyed by how poorly they value their customer.

hey just want to say thanks for everyone feedback : )

RockAuto. They're a vendor on this site.

Feedback is what a forum is all about.

Might as well "sue" ford while your at it to for install a faulty radiator that went bad in 25k miles... Oh wait sue the bearing manufacturer that in the pulley for not staying sealed.

Question have you ever driven your truck in the rain? have you ever washed your truck? well those are opportunities for moisture to ruin the bearing.

A 6 year old vehicle has wear and tear just from sitting belts crack, bearings dry up.

I would be very surprised if a bit of antifreeze would wash all the grease out of a sealed bearing. Buy the part from Rockauto and install it.

Imagine the lawyers asking:
-is it a possibility that your belt is slightly out of alignment thereby causing the bearing to wear out early?
-is it possible that someone else did something to that tensioner at an earlier service?
-is it possible that Firestone did something to that bearing?

Dude, suck it up and fix the tensioner. All this talk of suing all the time is disappointing to say the least. Tell your friends if you are dissatisfied, word of mouth is how you pay back ****ty dealers etc. Going to court is just plain frustrating and you will end up being more pissed off in the end. Spend $75 and speak to a lawyer for 15 minutes if you want a professional opinion. He will tell you the same thing.
-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't expect lawyers to ask any good questions, other than asking for a lot of money in advance before any discussion takes place.

Back