Wet area around crankcase ventilation tube (?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wet area around crankcase ventilation tube (?)

98ExplorerGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Not entirely sure how to pose this question so will simply ask: is the wet spot at the base of this hose indicative of a problem? If so, how serious?

Click the thumbnail to see larger image

1998 Explorer with "E" engine. FWIW, the hose is *not* a tight fit (it can be slipped off with minimal effort) and, as you can see, there is no clamp on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not entirely sure how to pose this question so will simply ask: is the wet spot at the base of this hose indicative of a problem? If so, how serious?

Click the thumbnail to see larger image

1998 Explorer with "E" engine. FWIW, the hose is *not* a tight fit (it can be slipped off with minimal effort) and, as you can see, there is no clamp on it.
Probably time for a new PCV valve. But the seepage looks normal also.

hose clamp

I installed a hose clamp at that location. I don't understand how oil can accumulate that high on the outside of the hose. If it is being thrown upward into the tube and then drains back down it would not show up on the outside of the hose - just the end of the hose and the valve cover. Crankcase fumes are normally drawn up thru the hose by intake vacuum and into the main intake tube to be burned.

It is oil vapor that seeps through the connection. I would not worry about it. Got over 30,000 on the engine? Normal. You can rrplace the hose if you think it is too loose. But it is just normal.

... Got over 30,000 on the engine? ...

LOL! How about 182,749?

Rebuilt it at about 130,000 to replace a broken timing chain guide plate and bad tensioner. Replaced all 5 chains, guides, tensioners and it has been running great ever since.

Thanks for the replies.

Back