• Register Today It's free!

Need more bright head lamp

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
My 98 EX has the original head lamps. It is still working but not bright enough comparing with my another car - Camry.

I would like to get new lamps but need to understand several things.

- Would the lamp's brighness reduce over the time? It is 14 years from when it is manufactured.
- Any suggestions of the brand of the head lamp for good quality and brightness?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same comparison you do- 2000 Ex and a 2007 Camry... The Camry lights are brighter, but have a pretty aggressive reflector on it. The Ex is more of a reverse reflector, and you are probably shining through oxidized lenses on your Explorer. You can try polishing them with a headlight restoration kit, or replace them- they're cheap on rockauto.com at about $20.

Check this article, answers some of your questions...

I did use a headlight restoration kit and doesn't seem to help a lot. The article about the lights to dim overtime makes sense. I will try to find some new headlights. ANy particular brand in favor?

Any "high efficiency" bulb that isn't tinted and is stock wattage are good options.

Wagner BriteLite, GE Nighthawk, Phillips Xtreme Power are all viable options. Sylvania Xtravisions are OK also, but avoid Sylvania SilverStars and any other bulb with a blue-tinted coating.

Try this before you spend a lot of money on new headlamps. Check the voltage at the bulb connection. If there is a noticable voltage drop, say 12v when the battery voltage is app 14v, then you have a, 1- bad wiring or connection, 2- bad switch. I have in the past, used a wiring harness from LMC Truck on an 86 F-150. Made one Hell of a difference.

Thanks for all the information. I will try to sort it out.

If you never changed the bulbs, now is a good time. Halogen bulbs will get dimmer and dimmer years before they burn out.
Try a more efficient bulb that the economic OE one, something like Philips 9007 X-Treme Power. I have them in my Explorer and they are awesome.

Try a more efficient bulb that the economic OE one, something like Philips 9007 X-Treme Power. I have them in my Explorer and they are awesome.

I'll second this vote. I have them in my Paseo, and they have great light output. I have a set awaiting installation, along with new OEM headlights, in my Explorer, when I get unlazy...

If you never changed the bulbs, now is a good time. Halogen bulbs will get dimmer and dimmer years before they burn out.
Try a more efficient bulb that the economic OE one, something like Philips 9007 X-Treme Power. I have them in my Explorer and they are awesome
Thanks since I was running into this problem also. I recently had to replace both headlights in the wife's 07' Ford Edge and both headlights in my 08' Ford Ranger, and I chose the Sylvania Xtravision, which I'm not very pleased with. I am looking into the Phillips Xtreme Vision, which evidently isn't as bright as the Phillips Xtreme Power but still much better than stock replacement. Thanks again.

I did use a headlight restoration kit and doesn't seem to help a lot. The article about the lights to dim overtime makes sense. I will try to find some new headlights. ANy particular brand in favor?

What restoration kit did you use? I've tried a few; the ones that are just a solvent and coating are worthless.

The guys at the local NAPA gave me a 3M kit that had a bunch of different grades of sandpaper, polishing pads and paste - it worked fantastic.

Before on the left, after on the right (yes, both headlights are on!!):

2011-11-22161137.jpg

Your headlights could be dim because of a corroded ground, or power wire some where. I had ALOT of corrosion in the socket for mt reverse lights, and they didn't work. Bought new lights, pulled the old bulbs out, saw that they where still good, looked at in the socket, saw that it was green, cleaned it out, and re-installed the lights with some dielectric grease, they worked great. returned the unopened bulbs, and got a burger, was good day.

could anyone explain why the Sylvania Silverstars or other blue-tinted lights are a bad idea...? jw... I kinda bought some without researching and now I'm curious...

could anyone explain why the Sylvania Silverstars or other blue-tinted lights are a bad idea...? jw... I kinda bought some without researching and now I'm curious...

At my local Walmart they had a comparison of the OEM bulds, the SilverStars, and the blue ones, the blue ones are suppose to "look" like HIDs, but are not as bright as the SilverStars. Plus for an added $10 for a dimmer blueish light, I thought they where useless. Also I have SilverStars and I love them, big upgrade to normal replacements. Although the SilverStars do have a much lower life, I think it is about half that of normal bulbs.

What restoration kit did you use? I've tried a few; the ones that are just a solvent and coating are worthless.

The guys at the local NAPA gave me a 3M kit that had a bunch of different grades of sandpaper, polishing pads and paste - it worked fantastic.

Before on the left, after on the right (yes, both headlights are on!!):

2011-11-22161137.jpg

I used a product called 'Turtle Headlight Lens Restorer'. It came with 4 sand papers and I didn't use the sand paper. I just used the cream and a tower for applying the cream. The surface of the headlight housing changed from yellowish to more whiter, but it didn't change much of the output of the lights. May be the lights are too old and it is the time for me to replace it.

Rockauto is selling WAGNER Part # BP9007TV TruView for $3.28. Has anyone had experience with this?

I used a product called 'Turtle Headlight Lens Restorer'. It came with 4 sand papers and I didn't use the sand paper. I just used the cream and a tower for applying the cream. The surface of the headlight housing changed from yellowish to more whiter, but it didn't change much of the output of the lights. May be the lights are too old and it is the time for me to replace it.

Rockauto is selling WAGNER Part # BP9007TV TruView for $3.28. Has anyone had experience with this?

The sand paper is suppose to get rid of the oxidation causes by heat, and sun exposure. The cream is just a very fine abrasive, the sand paper does the real work. Follow the steps on the box and try it again.

what your doing is jumping in the boat before it is built.

The sand paper is suppose to get rid of the oxidation causes by heat, and sun exposure. The cream is just a very fine abrasive, the sand paper does the real work. Follow the steps on the box and try it again.

what your doing is jumping in the boat before it is built.

Good to know. I thought that it didn't work. Will try again.

Use all 4 stages of the sandpaper!
It will look bad at the first one, but it will get better and better while progressing as instructed in their leaflet.

The reason the lenses got hazed was by neglect, maintain them by keeping them clean. :thumbsup:

The reason the lenses got hazed was by neglect, maintain them by keeping them clean. :thumbsup:

So you mean this has nothing to do with the age of the lamp? Outside of the lamp housing is clean, but I don't iclean it very day. I never open the housing and clean it from inside. Is that necessary?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Surface oxidation occurs on the outer lens. Frequent cleaning with a coat of wax does wonders long term.

Back