• Register Today It's free!

cannot figure out vibration

tricked94camaro

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4Dr XLT 4.0
i have a front end vibration i cant figure out for the life of me. its not in the steering wheel, ball joints and tie rods check out as does suspension, bearings, brakes, etc. wtf could it be? 96 4.0 xlt 4x4 202,000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a front end vibration i cant figure out for the life of me. its not in the steering wheel, ball joints and tie rods check out as does suspension, bearings, brakes, etc. wtf could it be? 96 4.0 xlt 4x4 202,000 miles
Check for a tire that has a belt seperation.

There's numerous things it could be. Did you check the driveshaft? And how were the other things checked out?

its not the tires. just balance and rotated. no change. also did this with my last set of tires. driveshaft and u joints check out good as does everything else. just jacked it up last night and everything is nice and tight. i should mention though the tranny side of my driveshaft was loose meaning the bolts were loose going into the trans. i tightened them but no change.

What is the frequency of the vibration? Engine RPM, tire/wheel. Are you sure it is in the front? Do you have the vibration if you are NOT moving. Have the vibration if you rev the engine? A bit more info needed here.

its not the tires. just balance and rotated. no change. also did this with my last set of tires. driveshaft and u joints check out good as does everything else. just jacked it up last night and everything is nice and tight. i should mention though the tranny side of my driveshaft was loose meaning the bolts were loose going into the trans. i tightened them but no change.

What you think checks out might not pass a shop test. I was for sure my front end was ready for an alignment after doing the ball joints and hubs only to find out my inner tie rods were shot. You want to check things with both fronts off the ground. Better yet, have a professional check it.

What is the frequency of the vibration? Engine RPM, tire/wheel. Are you sure it is in the front? Do you have the vibration if you are NOT moving. Have the vibration if you rev the engine? A bit more info needed here.

vibration is only whnile i am moving. i coasted and shut the motor off at 60 mph the other day and it still shook. the faster, the worse it is. i really think its my driveshaft. im tempted to take it off and kick 4x4 on and drive arond with just my front wheels to see if it really is my rear d/s

What you think checks out might not pass a shop test. I was for sure my front end was ready for an alignment after doing the ball joints and hubs only to find out my inner tie rods were shot. You want to check things with both fronts off the ground. Better yet, have a professional check it.

i did check everything off the ground and like i said everything is either new or like new and absolutely nothing is loose

a dented drive shatf would do that, maybe front cv axles. I'm pretty sure your second gen explorer axles always turn while the vehicle is in motion regarless of being in rwd or 4x4 mode. You mentioned having the wheels balanced recently, try rotating the tires and see if the symptom changes.

Back