• Register Today It's free!

lift kit question for 94 ranger

scrapper

Reaction score
City, State
Maroa Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ranger xlt
I have a 94 ranger and have installed a 3" body lift kit, I got a great deal on a f-150 body lift, I am sure this may have been a bad idea. I looked up performance acc. lift kit for a ranger and am going to have to make something work for steering and shifter extensions, also there are small square pieces called crush blocks that come with the ranger kit but not with the f-150 kit, no idea if these are needed for just installing kit or some sort of support pieces, I was hoping someone had some idea what they are for. I was also wondering if it was possable to make extensions for shifter and steering 50. bucks is expensive for a shifter extension. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Body lift kits are basically just a set of plastic cylinders and the longer nuts and bolts needed to use them. The cylinders themselves are usually the same in all kits, it's just the hardware that's different since different vehicles need different lengths and diameters based on the stock hardware.

The crush blocks are for the bed, when you lift it up with the blocks you put the weight of any heavy load on just those points, so the crush blocks help to support the bed so it doesn't get "crushed". If you don't carry heavy loads in the bed if your truck, you don't have to install them, but it can be a good idea in any case, just to save the hassle of messing up the bed the one time you carry something heavy.

You can get steering extensions, but some people get a whole new steering column. Best not to cheap out on something like that. The shifter extensions are just an adapter-like thing that raises the shifter some, so you can just get one of those cheap whereever you can find it, or some people just make the shifter itself longer.

Thanks, Do you need to put the crush blocks under the support channels that run across the bed? Mine is a short bed and has 2. I also noticed the frame has a support channel also, something need to go under it? It would be directly on the underside of the bed if I did. I am thinking the instruction weren't that clear. I am thinking just under the support beams that run across the bed. I was reading on here that a guy drilled a hole in his steering column shaft and it worked but I dont have an inch left on the shaft to do that. I will keep looking to see what I can find for extensions.

The crush blocks usually go under the support channels that don't have the mounts, hence the name, they support those channels that the frame used to, and prevent them from being crushed under a load. Frames with a center support channel might have additional crush blocks to use that support in addition to ones on the frame rails.

You could also get and add additional crush blocks, as long as they fit snug, if you carry really heavy loads, but I think a short bed will be fine with a few crush blocks if you don't carry anything really big or heavy back there.

With a 3" body lift you should at least get the real deal steering extension, drilling or modifying the stock shaft for a bit of extra length might work for a small body lift, but not a 3". That's why a lot of people stick with a 2" when it comes to body lifts.

i didnt use the stearing extension that came with my 3" body lift and it didnt change the handling at all...... i have replaced the stearing gear box twice since then. just now realized thats probly what keaps killing the gear box.

Got what I need to fab one, If the steering binds I will get a universal and weld it in. Not sure but I think what I have is going to work good.

The steering was binding and so I went to the junk yard and got a different steering shaft from an explorer. It had the universal at the top instead of the round piece of rubber. That worked great no binding. I still had to use the extension that I made. I have not had a problem with the shifter but will try to bolt the console down and see what happens. :thumbsup:

Back