Azaizai's '96 5.0 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Azaizai's '96 5.0 XLT

(I've been watching a lot of British Top Gear...my apologies if this gets wordy)

Well, I did it again. I had a budget set, a goal to attain...and I managed to get snagged on another RBV. Ya see, I'm supposed to be pinching pennies and shaking out jeans in an effort to get my head above the recent household purchases.

Then a friend, the same friend that turned my relatively stock 1997 ranger into a capable off-road vehicle, told me about a deal he had going on a 5 liter explorer. Now ever since I started learning about the Ranger based vehicle experience, I've loved the idea of having a small block in the front of one. I knew I liked the disc braked 31 spline 8.8 in the back of the explorers...and having a little dirt under my fingernails, I knew I liked the newer non-TTB front suspension for the limited, non-extreme wheeling I was accustomed to. All of those in the same package? Ok...lets talk.

Turns out it was owned by a former service writer from the shop I work at. Well, technically his ex-wfe...and their 5 kids. Yes 5. In an explorer. Oh man. I'm convinced that all 6 of them, thats the wife and kids, were out to ruin this truck to spite their former family member. Interior...shot.

Well, apparently those kids had a lot of extra curricular activities on their schedule and they put a lot of miles on the poor old thing. 189 on the clock (10k less than the ranger I was giving up). Though, thanks to the father, the explorer got some maintenance during this period. Some decent shocks (Monroe sensa-track), alignments (performed, quick ironically, by me), and a trip to the Ford shop for a check engine light that they threw parts at (DPFE, O2 sensors and a MAF).

It wasn't much to look at. I started it to see how it ran...and was surprised. It ran fine! Then I rev'd it up...and that damned exhaust leak presented itself. With no EGR to point the finger at...I knew it had to be the manifolds.

Took it for a quick spin and I could *feel* the AWD front drive shaft slapping around down there. The transmission wouldnt shift past second...no matter what speed, setting, gear or whatever you put it in.

SOo...before this gets out of hand...I bought it. Well, I traded it...kinda. I got the explorer and a few bits and pieces needed to swap in a BW4406. I think I might also get rights to my friend's front suspension when he cuts it out. He sold my ranger after we stripped it of all the exciting parts (gears, lockers, etc) and took whatever he wanted. Not too bad of a deal, really.

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Well, I got excited...and I managed to get quite a bit done before I took any pictures.

- Swapped in a manual BW4406 from a (I'm guessing) 99 f150. It had the speedo gear on the end of it and everything plugged and played together perfectly. There was very little drama, and mucho gracias to the various write-up authors that helped!
- I removed the carpet from the interior and tried my best to get some control of the color and odor stored within it. It was a hard fought battle, but I managed to get the smell under control...but 16 years of kids, crayons and candy just cant be defeated, and the dull grey it mottled with stains. Oh well.
- I swapped the old Explorer wheels for my Pacer alloys and a set of 31x10.50 BFG AT's. Which leads us to this pic...which goes to show you what I really wanted to accomplish...

IMAG0198.jpg

Future plans are a mixture of honey-do's and gearing up.
- Both rear doors need their handles replaced.
- Half the dash lights need replacing.
- Need a new windshield.
- Replace all swaybar end links and make a few quick disconnects.
- Add-a-leaf in the rear (about a half inch shorter in the rear)
- TT the front (although the 31's are clearing fine right now)
- Install a lock-right in the front dif.
- Install an open carrier and lock-right in the rear dif.
- Swap out the rear dif cover for rock-crusher cover.
- Install a reciever hitch onto the front of the explorer (well, possibly...if it fits and doesnt seem too heavy/in the way.)
- Install a reciver hitch in the back. (I do plan on using the explorer for camping as well as wheeling...so I'll need a proper receiver)
- Hood props.
- Torque Monster Headers (if I can find a way to make them sound like 700 dollars isnt a negative thing)
- Some kind of muffler. Definitely 2 into 1 with a proper exit.
- Some kind of intake. Not necessarily a snorkel...but less water-intakey than the current filter by the headlight setup.
- Rhino-lining the quarter panels and possibly the bumper plastic.
- Re-do the arm rest.
- Mount some fog-lights up front.

There are a few more that are a bit lofty (sliders, bumpers, swing out tire carrier, SAS, SOA, 35x12.50) but thats quite a bit further down the way...and I'm looking forward to trying her out as she is.

Anywho, thanks for reading...and I'll try to update as I can. Even if its just more cell-phone pics.

Well, my one debilitating injury for the weekend came in the steering.

On a 3 trail (called Guard Rail, I think...looks like this only washed out and dug out http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee91/schrecengost/SMORR/SMORR%20WFTW%2008_AUG_2009/?action=view&current=SMORR08AUG2009AnthonyGuardrail47.mp4) I kept getting high centered about half way up the hill. I made a few attempts, trying different speeds and lines but I'd always manage to get one wheel in a ditch and the transfer case skit on the hump. I almost got the passenger side wheel on the far side of the bank...but the all terrains just didnt have the lugs to gain ground.

Well...after getting winched up the hill, I noticed my steering was odd. It would steer perfectly left but anything to the right was like there was no power assist at all. I stopped the rig and popped the hood. Fluid level was fine and with the motor running the fluid was spinning around like the pump was pushing just fine. There was no hum/whine from the pump so I assumed it wasnt the cause. Looking underneath I found no leaks, no wetness and both tie-rods were in their original shape. I couldnt find any bent lines or anything...so I just assumed that somewhere in the process of trying to shove that passenger side up onto the bank, the old steering rack got busted.

I drove back to camp and debated a hasty parts run...then just decided to take it easy (it was 6pm anyway...and I had beer to drink). For better or worse I drove it home and found the steering decent within a limited left/right range. Anything beyond "gradual turn" to the right was met with resistance but no stoppage.

I'll have to replace the rack, I imagine. I cant think of anything else that would cause the problem...but I'll also get to take a closer look when I get it on a lift.

Sounds like you had a good time!

Definitely!

Even got to ride in a Unimog on 44's. Now that was a trip!

Shot of the hitch poking through the bumper and a hook/ball unit I found at Tractor supply.
IMAG0261.jpg

All loaded up!
IMAG0282.jpg

Then the fun part (and...really...the only time I took any pics of anything lol)
IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

The red jeep was easing a toyota back *down* the hill. Im guessing my issue was clearance, but I may have powered it up the bank there if I'd had some mud terrains or something with a side lug. All in all much fun was had.

Back