4R70W Lost Reverse..

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
What are my most cost effective options here?

Find a transmission from a junked truck and throw it in and then later install a shift kit?
Or Rebuild the one I have now and retain my shift kit?

Since it's being pulled anyways, I'd like it to be rebuilt completely as to fix my 1-2 shift issue, and N-R clunk... this tranny has been rallied, at 160K I knew this was coming..

Any advice or opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Option 1.

You might be better off with the tuning files adjusting the shifts for you.

Beware of the wiring differences between years. Might be best to get one from a 98 to avoid these.

Think I'm going to go with a full rebuild as it seems like the safest bet. 5.0L Explorers aren't common at all here to be found in the junk yard, the select few that are here are older than 98 and are in a twisted horrible mess.

I really do like the shift kit, it works nicely with the tune. Might have found someone to do it for 14-16... Neighbor who is a mechanic said he might be able to find cheaper so we'll see.

I'm curious though, why are you opposed to shift kits? It's the trango kit from explorerexpress and it works very nicely when everything is working correctly. I might have the line pressure put down just a little bit if possible. If it really comes down to it, I have thought about getting a new VB and looking more into the jmod.

Can't you take the VB out of your old tranny, clean it and put it in the replacement?

Then you will have what you had while you rebuild your old one and have lots of time to research mods and build it like you want.

Unfortunately I don't have the resources for any of that or I would... same with the engine.. I'd be building one of those too..

Anyways, I've always been torn with this truck.. offroad vs street fun.. and so far I've made a decent compromise with everything. It goes off-road anywhere I wanna take it [reasonably] and it performs very well on the street, and in poor conditions.

It would perform even better with gears, that was gonna be my next project until this lil surprise came up.... oh well, gotta take things one at a time.. gotta pay to play.

True-that bro. I was considering a set of gears/lockers and now am waiting for my new heads to show up... oh well. You going to get someone else to swap transmissions, no doubt they'd swab VB's for you for little cost to you. as long as your old tranny didn't grenade it won't be dirty in there.

Sounds to me like you got a leaking valve body gasket.

Me? Nah. This transmission was used and abused for a good 70k+..At about 20k ago maybe I had a shift kit installed and everything down there was refreshed. I was actually expecting the transmission to go last winter after some very hard rallying after I got stuck.. it was slipping and all kinds of odd issues... they went away until just recently after a lil challenge with a Chevy.. which I won. But yeah... I give this transmission mad props. It needs some R&R and it'll be good for a long time again.

Opinions needed, can find a used transmission [98 120k] for like 300... with exchange..

It's a gamble and I feel doing it right the first time should be priority.
I need minimal downtime and pulling it and installing a new one could be an issue I run into.

I would like to have a rebuilt transmission in.. I'm trying to figure out my options, figure out which is the most cost effective for getting a rebuild put in..

I have so many options but I just don't know.

Edit: Got a few more details... so It'll be like around a grand to have the used unit put in, for double that.. I can stick with what I have and it'll be rebuilt. [both with install] .. Hmm..

A key point is, keeping my shift kit... and also avoiding surprises is a concern with the used.. sure it's cheaper now but down the road it could be a headache.

I'm hard on the vehicle, the work time and money spent on it needs to be worthwhile, the drivetrain needs to be able to perform.

Also, about just throwing in my VB from my old transmission.. it needs a little work due to the hard 1-2 shift... that'll be another bit of labor I'd need to account for compared to getting it simply rebuilt.

Did you price up parts for a rebuild? I would rebuild what you have. Maybe you can get your neighbour to help you out?

He doesn't have the means to either, he can't use his shop for personal work of others.

I once rebuilt a 302 in my basement, scrubbed the pistons in the kitchen sink. My wife is a reasonable woman... Oh, tore down and reassembled an old Honda 600 in the spare room first year we were married...

Okay so I have a replacement... I'm gonna need help with removal and install... I have no idea here... I know disconnect all the plugs, shift linkage... crossmember, tcase, n all that.. but actually removing it n getting it back in is gonna be a pain

I suggest you get a Chilton's manual and a transmission jack or gear yourself up something that will work like a tranny jack, those things are very heavy and you have to make sure you don't bugger up the converter and the transmission pump (the converter engages the pump). My buddy and I dropped the AOD out of my stang years ago by hand but we were very young (and foolish), lucky we didn't get hurt.

You will learn a bunch removing the old one, and find a buddy that knows how to do it to help. Offer copious amounts of pizza and beer afterwards. Test drive has to wait until the next day!

Come help me.. lol.. Yeah I don't really have anyone to help me.. I'm gonna have to figure this out somehow.

I would seriously consider dropping the valve body, and replace the gaskets. Go over the "shift kit" parts, and check out the accumulator springs. When draining the fluid, drain it into a new catch pan for re use. Throw in a new filter, refill thru a strainer funnel and drive that thing.

This you can do yourself. I will cost very little and might just make you smile.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/191518-broken-shift-accumulator-spring-repair.html
If I recall correctly, there are little seals on the accumulators also, which are cheap.

Caution--
all the valve body bolts are unique length, so, be sure to keep them in exact order. Get a paint pen and number all of them,using the torque sequence as a guide, then take a picture of that so you get them back in the right spot.

You will need an "inch pound" torque wrench to tighten them properly in the correct sequence.

Come help me.. lol.. Yeah I don't really have anyone to help me.. I'm gonna have to figure this out somehow.

Buddy I'd love to be able to help you out but the airfare would be terrible! Jon's totally right too, a few improvements will make it much better and last longer too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon, my trans is getting junked.. or I might tear it down to learn a bit.. The transmission I got is Danny's old transmission, I'm going for a straight swap.

Back