• Register Today It's free!

Body lift

01Strac

Reaction score
City, State
Bainbridge Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Well just ordered my body lift i got it from jcwhitney is there anything else i need to buy before the install ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple cans of PB Blaster, a long breaker bar if you don't have air tools and either a sawzall or a grinder with cutting wheels.

New body bushings if you can swing the extra expense. Really, you don't want to do this twice. Gonna have to do mine when I get a chance this spring.

Protein shakes. :D

can i get those at a parts store? or would i need to contact a dealer

A dealer will rip you a new one. For OEM, it's hard to beat our site sponsor Tousley Ford and their prices are much more reasonable.

Most seem to be going with Daystar aftermarket bushings. There's a few threads about them.

Time and patience. And yes daystar. OK4wd like $160ish shipped.

How do I lift up by westin safari bar with a body lift?

Custom brackets. You won't find any to buy.

Could I modify the existing bracket?

bambangs334 said:
Could I modify the existing bracket?

That's what most everyone does.. I found a local welder to do mine. Quick easy and cheap for someone who knows what they're doing.

install times

is there a thread that talks about how long it takes to install a body lift kit on a sport trac? or one that speaks of install help tips or things to look out for?

is there a thread that talks about how long it takes to install a body lift kit on a sport trac? or one that speaks of install help tips or things to look out for?

There's a few threads that talk about it. I would start with this thread:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231158

Then, I would search "sport trac body lift" in the "Google custom search" bar at the top of the page.

Some will lie and say they finished the body lift in 3 hours. Others will say they finished in 8 hours and I believe some of them. It took me about 16 hours over 3 days with 2 helpers and every tool known to man but no lift. We worked casually, ate, discussed and laughed as much as worked. 8 to 12 hours of labor is probably pretty accurate time-wise. The 3-hour guys just have enormous balls and I don't, lol.

Things to look out for:

The body bolts are on there good. Eat some Wheaties and make sure the socket is securely attached to your extension or have a magnet handy. Also put a good set of vice grips on the bottom nut of the body mounts or you'll be spinning for days.

Be sure to tie back your AC hose away from the pulley.

Remove the bed, don't just slide it back.

Ask any questions needed on here if you're in a pinch but most guys will really appreciate it if you at least try the search function before asking. You don't want to be the guy to ask if the '01 and '02 body lift will fit an '05.

Post pictures of the results on here.

Good luck!

There's a few threads that talk about it. I would start with this thread:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231158

Then, I would search "sport trac body lift" in the "Google custom search" bar at the top of the page.

Some will lie and say they finished the body lift in 3 hours. Others will say they finished in 8 hours and I believe some of them. It took me about 16 hours over 3 days with 2 helpers and every tool known to man but no lift. We worked casually, ate, discussed and laughed as much as worked. 8 to 12 hours of labor is probably pretty accurate time-wise. The 3-hour guys just have enormous balls and I don't, lol.

Things to look out for:

The body bolts are on there good. Eat some Wheaties and make sure the socket is securely attached to your extension or have a magnet handy. Also put a good set of vice grips on the bottom nut of the body mounts or you'll be spinning for days.

Be sure to tie back your AC hose away from the pulley.

Remove the bed, don't just slide it back.

Ask any questions needed on here if you're in a pinch but most guys will really appreciate it if you at least try the search function before asking. You don't want to be the guy to ask if the '01 and '02 body lift will fit an '05.

Post pictures of the results on here.

Good luck!

Thanks! I tried the "search" feature, but it keeps freezing my phone up and i dont own a computer. I have been putting this project off for over a month now because i was afraid to get it started friday night and not have it done by work on monday. my boss wouldnt appreciate me missing a day because my truck is in pieces. lol! with the addition of air tools, and access to a body shops worth of tools (unfortunately not the shop itself) does anyone see any reason why i couldnt get it done in a weekend alone?

Just a note: Go to your local parts store and buy a pair of very good mechanics gloves. They will save you knuckles when that bolt decides to break loose.

If you start it Friday evening and get a good idea of what you're getting into, do the bulk of the work on Saturday and tie up loose ends on Sunday, you should be able to ride into work on Monday sitting high and on time.

My kits sitting in my garage awaiting my arrival home from school. Any suggestions on where the best place to buy the daystar bushings though? I think I'll heed everyone's advice and get them installed at the same time.

Yeah, another good point I forgot. Change the body mount bushings at the same time so you don't have to lift the body from the frame twice. I have to do it in the next couple weeks because I didn't do it when I did the body lift.

The lifted ST world is growing quickly.

I get home saturday just after noon. Hoping that late saturday night ill have the shackles on and torsion bolts lifted. Maybe thats a little ambitious but I really want to get it done! Still waiting on BFG to fill their backorder on the km2s :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend holding off on the torsion lift until you see how much is going to be necessary. It's best to do no more than necessary so I'd think it would help to have the tires on there first to see just how much you have to lift it.

Or, if sitting level is more important, then I guess it doesn't really matter and you can just set it up to level out the shackles.

Back