Has anyone here transitioned from a 2006-2010 Explorer to a 2011+ Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone here transitioned from a 2006-2010 Explorer to a 2011+ Explorer?

phreaky_d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Hey, guys...I posted a thread here quite a while ago trying to get some feedback on people's experiences with either the 2010 or 2011 Explorers since I was undecided on what to buy. I am looking at either a 2010 Limited or 2011/2012 Limited. I am familiar with the key differences between the two models and how different they are with respect to RWD vs. FWD, engine, etc. I have also viewed most of the threads in this particular subsection of the forum reviewing the 2011/2012 Explorer, and it seems most of the complaints revolve around the buggy MFT system.

Here's my situation...I have the opportunity to buy a 2010 Limited Explorer with navigation, 4-wheel drive, and a V8 engine. It's a Ford Certified pre-owned car with about 17,000 miles on it and the asking price is $31,900. For a few thousand more, I've seen 2011 Limiteds with Rapid Spec/Equipment Group 302A packages (slightly higher mileage and not necessarily Ford Certified pre-owned). If I were to buy an '11 or '12, I want the 302A package. Of course, the tech and interior on the '11 blows away the '10, but I realize that a V8 Limited for a '10 model year is EXTREMELY rare and would seem to be an excellent car. Off-roading would be a nice feature to have if I ever need it, and I know the '10 would excel in that category. I also like a high ride, and the '11 doesn't ride as high as the '10 from what I can tell.

I test drove an '11 XLT a few weeks ago and I LOVED the ride quality. I haven't had an opportunity to test drive the '10 yet, but this is what I'm looking for from you guys. Which would you buy and why? How does the Sync system on the '11 compare with the '10 (despite the MFT flaws)? As far as my tech needs go, I would primarily be using Sync to control my iPod Classic (with almost all 120 gigs filled with music), my phone (iPhone 3GS), and taking advantage of whatever navigation has to offer. Album art being displayed on the screen would also be really cool. Also, how do the stereo systems compare between the two Limiteds? How do the air conditioners compare in both models? Gas mileage is a factor and I know the '11 is more fuel efficient by at least a few miles, but I also understand the 2010 V8 has excellent power and can still average about 14 or 15mpg city.

So what do you guys think? I'd especially like to hear from those of you who upgraded from a 2010 Explorer to a 2011 and what your likes/dislikes are about each model. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went from a 2008 to a 2011. There are two simple drawbacks on the 2011.

It's not as capable offroad (this means nothing to me).

Towing capacity is lower (again, means little to nothing to me).

In every other aspect, aside from bugs the 2011 is superior. I have nothing bad to say about my old one, but a lot of good to say about the new one.

That 2010 is overpriced big time....go for the 2011....I had a 2008 and think my 2012 is much better

It all depends on which one you enjoy having more. I like the 4th gen for its better visibility, but the 5th gen has a better ride and a better interior along with better gas mileage. The 4th gen also has a better turning radius and it's narrower and easier to park. Either one is a good vehicle, but if you went with the 4th gen you'd want to get the price down some. The 4th gen will probably be more reliable since it's the last year of that generation and so all the kinks are worked out, but either should be fine in that regard as well.

Go for the 2011. My friend's uncle has a 2007 Ford Explorer as a taxi and going into that Explorer makes the 2011+ Explorers feel like a space ship. Definitely more fuel efficient, quiet, and if you're not offroading, more road friendly. Better electronics too.

This is a no brainer get the 2011 and in reality get the 2013 the intrest rate is better the warranty is better and the feature are more so just do the math !!!!

I own a 2009 Eddie Bauer and a 2011 Limited. I pretty much agree with everything that has been said. I'll also comment that the V8 feels and sounds better than the V6 in the 2011, but that's not really any issue at all.

You mentioned better off road capability with the 2010 Limited. I'm not positive but I think the 2010 Limited (in Canada at least) was AWD rather than 4WD. It doesn't have high and low range like my 2009 Eddie Bauer does.

AWESOME advice, guys...I really appreciate it! :) This has proven to be a very useful forum and I'm grateful for your help. 2011 it is!

Honestly, if you can, look for a 2012 or 2013. Or do research on the VIN of the 2011 before you buy. If it's an early build 2011 it might still have a lot of the problems that plagued the early 2011's. Later 2011's don't have nearly the problems.

Excellent point...thanks for that! I noticed from the forum posts that the early '11s seem to have most of the problems, so I will definitely look for a later build. Do you think anything made after 1/11 would be ok? I would LOVE to get a '12 or '13, but I think they'd be beyond my price point for a used Limited. I'm limiting myself to a budget of $32k for a Limited with a Rapid Spec/Equipment Group 302A and I'm hoping to buy by New Year's. It seems used prices for these cars haven't dropped a whole lot so far, so hopefully they'll be around that $32k by the time I'm ready to spend.

Excellent point...thanks for that! I noticed from the forum posts that the early '11s seem to have most of the problems, so I will definitely look for a later build. Do you think anything made after 1/11 would be ok? I would LOVE to get a '12 or '13, but I think they'd be beyond my price point for a used Limited. I'm limiting myself to a budget of $32k for a Limited with a Rapid Spec/Equipment Group 302A and I'm hoping to buy by New Year's. It seems used prices for these cars haven't dropped a whole lot so far, so hopefully they'll be around that $32k by the time I'm ready to spend.

KBB says my '11 XLT is worth that...not sure if a newer limited will hit that price by then.

Actually, I was perusing through Autotrader and noticed a few '11 Limiteds with the 302A rapid spec and dual-panel moonroof at about 30k miles for around $32k-$34k, so I'm hoping by the end of the year that might be the average. So is getting anything past a 1/11 build date considered a safe bet?

Agreed- if you were considering a 2010 Limited for over $31k, you're not out of price for a 2012.

Back