projector headlamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

projector headlamps

Hey all, I'm thinknig about ordering some projector headlights off the ol' ebay.
they look like this :
headlight.jpg

Just wondering if anybody has these (or similar) as I'm curious how they get adjusted. Looking at similar headlights that have a pic of the back nothing jumps out as adjustable, but I would assume there is some way to make adjustments or do you just use the adjustors from the stock headlights?

any help would be appreciated as I'm tired of not being able to see at night. and using the headlight restorer (even with the xtra bright bulbs) really didn't help much so this seems like the best route to take to increase visibility (especially if I upgrade to HID)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have them. I love them, especially with HID. They're very adjustable. You use small sockets to tweak them. Lots of people on the site have them. Search the archives for threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had to do a little trimming to get my projector lights to drop in. I dont know if they have changed the design since then or if was just me. Mine aren't smoked. The lights on my white explorer went in without any issues and are adjustable too. The halos on the blue explorer are led and can't be seen during the day and the other ones are ccfl and can be seen during the day. I use them as daytime running lights. Both explorers lights are on in this pic. you can see how much brighter the ccfl halos are.

Attachments

• 2 explorers.jpg
    2 explorers.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 2 explorers 5.jpg
    2 explorers 5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 636

sweet thank you for the prompt replies. Now I can't wait :D

sean99 I really like the ones on the white x seeing them side by side makes a world of dif. looking on ebay I could get that style for about $50 more. I'm glad I made myself wait till monday cause I might just get those now. ;)

Do they make these for the 2005? This would help prevent glare from a HID kit in normal housing, right??? Thanks.

Do they make these for the 2005? This would help prevent glare from a HID kit in normal housing, right??? Thanks.

Never seen them for anything but 2nd gen. Yeah, they are MUCH better than using HID in stock housings.

sweet thank you for the prompt replies. Now I can't wait :D

sean99 I really like the ones on the white x seeing them side by side makes a world of dif. looking on ebay I could get that style for about $50 more. I'm glad I made myself wait till monday cause I might just get those now. ;)

The white x projectors plug right in. You don't have to tie into the running lights for the halos to work.

Hey sean can you tell much of a difference between the light output of those two styles of lights? Was looking at both of them and don't know if I can justify almost $300 on the ones with the CCFL halo.

I would like to know about the durability of the ccfl's used in these? I got into a bit of an accident and have to replace everything... was thinking about going with the ccfl version of my lights that got destroyed. [newer version with same size halo's, with ccfl instead of led]

Hey storlied, if you do end up picking some up, could you do some measurements on them for me? I just want to know how large those projector and reflector modules are including the halo rings.

Wait what? I have them here. What do you need exactly?

Like diameter?

They seem to be 4 1/4 wide??

Yeah, that's all I really needed. I've been thinking about picking up a set of those to put some 90mm LED modules into, so I wanted to know if I would have to make a new surround or not.

I should warn you though, cold cathodes don't last really very long when they see a lot of cold temperatures. Something you may want to consider.

I keep hearing that, but I've been using them for under dash lighting for years, they've been in -50F weather... they've only broken when hit. Also, after my lil accident I tore into the remaining headlight... the leds are inside the tubes.. so it'll be a lil bit more work than plug n play.

Also, if you're gonna do it.. I suggest using SMDs.. those would be the brightest.

No, I was talking about 90 mm headlamp modules that they use on buses and stuff.

http://www.dialight.com/Product/List/477481

This is one of those projects I'm still putting off since the modules run about $250 a pop, and I would need 4....

Also, there are a lot of different types of SMDs... so one can't really say they are the brightest, especially since there are types of regular LEDs that are much brighter than those tiny SMDs... Plenty of different kinds of LEDs out there too... Meh, it is too much to go into.

i just want to say that the headlights in the original post, with the same size halo's are actually from Spyder, I just got mine last week, I'm not sure about the ones sean99 has, with a smaller halo and bigger halo. But I sure was excited when I got my box and it said Spyder on it, lol. I got mine for $170 btw.

Back