got my CB antenna & Back up lights installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

got my CB antenna & Back up lights installed

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
White night back up lights hitch mount

ig9mi1.jpg

need to get my blacked out headlights!

2iau14z.jpg

I needed a tonneau cover friendly cb antenna install, Because I didn't want a roof mount. Here is what I ended up with. Had to use washers under the mount on one side so it sat flat instead of angled like the bed rail

3ft firestick/spring/firestick bed mount

11rvmmu.jpg

1zob68k.jpg

29q0do3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great :biggthump

Where'd you get your step bars? I've been lookin for some like that.

Looks great :biggthump

Where'd you get your step bars? I've been lookin for some like that.

they are the Go Rhino! 120B Universal steps

I got them on Amazon, Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMF7OA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

On the picture it shows a different go rhino step, But if you scroll down to the description it shows the actual picture of the product

Here is the actual product

B000CMF7OA.01.sm.jpg

I wanted something small and simple, These fit the bill

Oh and I plasti'dipped the chrome part lol

Looks good. Where'd you ground the whip to on the fiberglass bed? or did you run a monster cable to the frame?

Looks good. Where'd you ground the whip to on the fiberglass bed? or did you run a monster cable to the frame?

I ran 8 gauge (well... I think its more like 10 but the box said 8) to the frame. I'm still scouting for a shorter location

Nice clean lookin Trac!! Did the lights wires just plug straight into the hitch plug? I think mine has a 5 point plug. I do not know anything about towing. I looked real quick at the White night site. But just got confused. I think it said it came with a 6 ot 7 point plug. Can that fit straight onto a 5 point? Thanks

Nice clean lookin Trac!! Did the lights wires just plug straight into the hitch plug? I think mine has a 5 point plug. I do not know anything about towing. I looked real quick at the White night site. But just got confused. I think it said it came with a 6 ot 7 point plug. Can that fit straight onto a 5 point? Thanks

nope I had to wire them in myself, Our trucks don't come with the 6 or 7 point plug. The light comes with three wires, Backup, Power, Ground

Ground obviously has to be grounded to metal somewhere back there

Backup wire has to be hooked into the wire going to your back up lights, You can find the wires in a bundle somewhere under the back bumper area. My backup wire was black with a hot pink stripe. But all you have to do is pull one of your tail lights off to see which wire is going to your reverse bulb

and the third wire is a constant power wire, This is so you can manually turn on the lights with the switched that is located on the back of it, Great if you're working on something at night and just so happen to be behind the truck

I ran this wire under the bed and through the small hole that is under the black grommet in the back seat compartment on the drivers side

and then I ran it to my fuse box

I initially was going to get the KC back up lights with the hitch mount you can purchase for them but I had read a lot of great views about this product and the wires plug into each other so when I need to take it out its a real simple process

Thanks. I deffinitly see one for me in the near future. I should be able to do the wiring from your help. I hooked up a back up camrea in my old mans ST and used the reverse light wire. No problem on the wire going to the batterey(I have no flooring. deer=milk smashing and soaking under the floor in secs-ripped it all out). BUT..I dont not have a straight hitch. Just the step bumper with the hole for the ball. Research time! Thanks again.

update: just saw white night has one that attaches using the ball. sweet.
Im not trying to copy. I just want to know my options. Ive wanted back up lights FOREVER!
would you please tell me how to hook a wire into the fuse box? meaning does it have some sort of adapter that just clips in there to a open fuse thats not being used that has constant power. sorry if this is a silly question.
update: a fuse tap! nvrmind:)

I can tell you that by mounting the antenna on a side of the truck, you won't get even range for and to your radio... I.E. people on your passenger side will be louder and you can talk further. I have a Wilson Little Will magnet mount and a Magnum 257 and can talk about 60 miles :D I was planning on getting whips but after a lot of research and my biased father (huge CB and HAM enthusiast) i settled on the Wilson. Glad I did too...

Anyways, cleeeeeeeeaaaaannnnnnn

I can tell you that by mounting the antenna on a side of the truck, you won't get even range for and to your radio... I.E. people on your passenger side will be louder and you can talk further. I have a Wilson Little Will magnet mount and a Magnum 257 and can talk about 60 miles :D I was planning on getting whips but after a lot of research and my biased father (huge CB and HAM enthusiast) i settled on the Wilson. Glad I did too...

Anyways, cleeeeeeeeaaaaannnnnnn

Yeah so I've been told... a lot lol I realize the placement is best on the roof of the vehicle but that isn't an option for me. Overall I'm happy with the performance of what I ended up with. Everyone I roll with that has a CB in their truck places the antenna in this exact location, granted they are not CB pro's it still does the job for the distance needed

Yeah so I've been told... a lot lol I realize the placement is best on the roof of the vehicle but that isn't an option for me. Overall I'm happy with the performance of what I ended up with. Everyone I roll with that has a CB in their truck places the antenna in this exact location, granted they are not CB pro's it still does the job for the distance needed

Nah its cool man, I was just letting you know so if you were hearing people and not being able to talk to them or not getting the range you wanted you'd know where to start looking. The only down side for having mine on the roof is parking garages, so my sunroof gets a lot of run time :D haha.

have any pics of the inside where you mounted the actual cb?

have any pics of the inside where you mounted the actual cb?

I stole the mount location idea from LONO,

Here is a picture of where he mounted his, Which is exactly where I mounted mine

P1020782.jpg

what are your swr readings so far?

I was in the mid 1's after tuning it in a not so ideal area

however I helped move some stuff for a friend Saturday so I took the antenna off because I didn't trust who was helping to be mindful of it now I am waiting for a time to get in an open area to retune it

I just put it back on and checked it for spite

no tune adjustment, tuning thread in retail position, highly wooded area = 2.0 swr reading

after shortening my ground, and tuning in an open area I am expecting to see some good results.

cool, just stay clear of power lines and you should be good. i got ch 20 on mine down to 1.0 by avoiding power lines. had to drive out to the sticks though!

Thank you soontbsick:thumbsup:
-8BVHJhdmlzIFNvdXRod2VzdC0yMDEyMDcwMi0wMDU4My5qcGc.jpg

BVHJhdmlzIE5vcnRod2VzdC0yMDEyMDcwMi0wMDU4NC5qcGc-1.jpg

BVHJhdmlzIE5vcnRod2VzdC0yMDEyMDcwMi0wMDU4NS5qcGc-1.jpg

Wired though firewall to posts next to the fusebox under the hood with 14gauge and an inline fuse(15amp) Works GREAT. I punked out on a cab switch. That could get me in alot of trouble out here in Texas hill country.(flashing tailgaters might get me shot also illegal) Looks a little weird from the side view but I'll get used to it. Quick diconnect wires behind it are nice if want to remove. The switch behind the unit works great for night fishing loading gear! Going to paint over the logo piece. The white KNIGHT pic is cool but not done very well and the .com address on it has got to go. Was a little tough to adjust the beam up and down but finally got it just right. Just have to hold it where you want it while screwing in the ball

makes life a lot easier when backing up at night!

I ended up needing my reese hitch so I snapped out that middle piece and put it over my hitch and zip tied it from the back to keep it secure. Probably the best investment I've made for my truck was these lights!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back