Help, EX is Shaking! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, EX is Shaking!

What about rack and pinion?

When parked and running, I can move the steering wheel back and forth the same about that it shakes above 65+ and the tires don't move back and forth.

Once I go past what the shake would, the tires begin to move with the steering wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U-joints are solid.

What condition are the rotors in? I've heard of warped rotors causing shake/shimmy at highway speeds.

I have this same problem and no one at Ford can figure it out. I thought perhaps the steering column shafts were the issue and even spraying the knuckles down did nothing.

when at a stop light, I hear a clinging sound and when I turn the wheel it changes pitch and when I go it stops.

Shake is still there at 45+

It sounds like you have bad CV axles. If you have vibrations at 45+ going in a straight line and you hear a slight popping or clicking sound as you turn the wheel you should replace them.

Lower ball joints: lift the front end up and place a crow bar in between the lower ball join and the knuckle. If you see movement up and down while pushing on the crow bar replace the ball joints. same procedure for the top ball joints.

the main reason someone gets shacking if usually going to be the wheel bearings so that is what you should check out first. So while the front is lifted up place your finger in between the rotor and wheel bearing and have some shack the wheel up and down and side to side if there is movement replace them.

Recently i had to replace both front wheel bearings, front cv axles new front tires on a 99 buick because of the vibrations. then inner and outer tie rods, lower control arms/BJ's just to hold the new alignment.

I had this problem on an 04 Ex a few years ago right after new tires. We replaced everything under the sun and it ended up being a bad tire.

i've come to the conclusion that I have a few bad tires.... very dissapointed with the firestone destination a/t's for that fact. oh well.. drive it

I have this same problem and I could have sworn it did it before but it got really bad after I put my new tires on..265/65/17 theyre oversized and not helping whatsoever..If I find a cure ill share it!

I just purchased new tires
i've come to the conclusion that I have a few bad tires.... very dissapointed with the firestone destination a/t's for that fact. oh well.. drive it

OP 12/22/11
No warranty?

i ain't going to mess with it. Ill go out in the parking lot, flick on the BWM and burn the rears off, rotate them, then burn off the other two. Ill post pix

New symptom: It is below freezing and this morning for the first 10 min or so there was no shaking.... then it gradually started. :(

Anyone have any luck ? I replaced the wheel bearings, nothing.

Starting to feel the vibration in the seat as well as steering wheel & at highway speeds only.

Checklist: All balljoints, tierods, wheelbearings, brakes, tires, alignment, balanced 4 times, moved tires around :(

Anyone have any luck ? I replaced the wheel bearings, nothing.

Starting to feel the vibration in the seat as well as steering wheel & at highway speeds only.

Checklist: All balljoints, tierods, wheelbearings, brakes, tires, alignment, balanced 4 times, moved tires around :(

Check your u-joints on the driver shaft, the rear joint is more likely to be the first to start giving u problems.

From 2002 and up when you replace tires you have replace them in 4's because of the awd that kicks on when the back tires slip. Ford set the tread range really close with little margin. In other words if the tread in the front was outside of Ford had set the awd would kick on and off all the time because of it. Same if the back was off. We had to sell tire's in 4's to Explorer Owners because of this. You could have them out of balance also. That's why I have always rotated mine on every oil change.

I had this same thing happen on my '89 Mustang. It turned out to be a worn tie rod end. Check your steering linkage for wear and tear.
I just paid for an alignment then four new tires. I didn’t receive a computer print out on alignment just a paid receipt.
4 bearings too and it’s still shaking

Back